FTA-TV 2017 AFL Broadcast rights

Remove this Banner Ad

Horrible? By far the best commentary and presentation of matches. You also forgot Anthony Hudson, which would give 10 the 4 best commentators ever. Commetti's a joke and so are the rest of their commentators. Seven's a discrace to the sport in every way.

Hudson was the only decent commentator on 10 though. The rest were gloried Carlton cheer squad members.

What was the deal with 10? Were they going to get a Saturday arvo game every round, or just a select few? I've seen some people say we're losing 10 or 11 free to air matches but then others saying only three games are televised on FTA next year. What's the go?

I miss Channel 10 :( give me Quarters, Lane and Blight over Rompingwins, Basil and Watson any day of the week

Well when you put it like that...

What was the deal with 10? Were they going to get a Saturday arvo game every round, or just a select few? I've seen some people say we're losing 10 or 11 free to air matches but then others saying only three games are televised on FTA next year. What's the go?

It works out to about 3.5 FTA games a week. 7 will show Friday night and Saturday night every week; they will show Sunday afternoon when there are 0 or 1 non-typical timeslot games - and then they will show most of (all?) the Thursday night games and public holiday games.

To explain it a slightly different way - it will be Sunday afternoon the vast majority of weeks. When there is a Thursday night game or a Monday afternoon game that will nearly always be shown on 7, and is additional to the other 3 games. A couple of examples where they may not show Sunday afternoon is say, Easter - they will show Thursday night as their 4th game that week, and they will "substitute" the Sunday afternoon game for the Monday game.

Saturday afternoon is an additional timeslot that Foxtel got contractual "permission" to on-sell to another FTA network. I believe that would've been Saturday afternoon nearly every week, but that Easter weekend might be another good example where "special event" games such as Good Friday twilight may have been "subbed in" for the Saturday afternoon game. I don't think we know exactly how that would've worked, but it's a moot point now anyway.

(I hope that all makes sense - I may have made that a lot more complex than it is in reality.)

The bottom line with the AFL deal is the big money is in Friday night, Saturday night, finals and other blockbuster games.

Ten were never going to get any of them so even if they were to get the one game a week/ fortnight cheaply it would of done more harm than good in terms of the overall station. One game during the day isn't enough to really sell as some kind of package. I don't think anyone besides a few journalists really believed it was a serious possibility.

One thing that will change next year is the AFL are going to be pushing their live pass and accounts much more. You will need an account to listen to radio through the app, for instance. Will still be free.

The app should be in line for a significant upgrade too.

Was watching on YouTube a replay of a 1982 VFL Round 22 game between North Melbourne and Richmond from Arden St, which was Seven's Match of the Day. Couldn't understand why 7 didn't show the full game on a 30-45 min delay (like what Channel 10 did during their Saturday afternoon games) to make up for the fact it couldn't be televised live into Melbourne, for fear of upsetting the country and metropolitan football leagues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Was watching on YouTube a replay of a 1982 VFL Round 22 game between North Melbourne and Richmond from Arden St, which was Seven's Match of the Day. Couldn't understand why 7 didn't show the full game on a 30-45 min delay (like what Channel 10 did during their Saturday afternoon games) to make up for the fact it couldn't be televised live into Melbourne, for fear of upsetting the country and metropolitan football leagues.

I guess its just such a different time. People who are ~25 yo and younger probably can't even comprehend what football coverage used to look like before the explosion of tv coverage following the 2001 News Ltd/9/10/Foxtel deal. Up until then the most you'd get was 2 live games a week, maybe 3 if there was a Sunday afternoon game in Perth. I don't even think you could watch all games on pay tv til that deal (although I could be wrong about that - did C7 on Optus broadcast all matches?) And it would only be 5-6 years that Friday night games in Melbourne have been broadcast live wouldn't it?

In hindsight, I'm personally a little disappointed that footy came to saturate the whole weekend. I know people's lives and priorities have changed, and small towns across Australia have changed with post-industrialisation... but only yesterday I was reading about the collapse of yet more clubs and yet another league in north-west Tassie, and I can't help but think the saturation of AFL coverage hasn't played a part.

Since this question hasn't come up, was the fear of upsetting the country and metropolitan football leagues the reason we never saw a SCG game on Saturdays or even a Saturday game at the Gabba or in Perth or Adelaide?

How could regional Victoria show Saturday games live but not Meloburne?

Very easy.

Before the restrictions of live broadcasting against the gate were lifted, regional tv could act independently even after aggregation which started in 1989.

Victoria's regional stations were:

BTV-6 - Ballarat, but repeated from Warrnambool to Horsham, Hamilton and Portland
BCV-8 - Bendigo and Central Victoria
GLV-8 - Gippsland and Latrobe Valley
AMV-4 - Albury and North-East
GMV-6 - Shepparton, Goulburn Valley, Riverina and North-East.

Even after initial affiliation with Melbourne stations, footy was still shown live on the above.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was pretty ridiculous. I live half way between Ballarat and Melbourne. One of my best mates 5km down the road got live footy and we had the Melbourne delay. He only got Friday and Saturday nights live, though. All arvo games where delayed.

Crazy how backwards coverage was only 5 or so years ago.

Simple answer in some places. people in Melbourne can go to the football and the AFL wants to keep encouraging that. In regional vic it's harder to get to the footy therefore there isn't incentive to drive the regional masses to going to the footy, but can still grow the game in popularity, especially on the boarder.

i'm 2 and half hours out of melbourne and while l love going it's just to draining at times, it's a whole day to go to the footy. If melbourne is on FTA and i'm exhausted i might just say stuff it and watch it at home. Even on delay. i watched both the round 6 vs saints on delay cause of commitments and Geelong because it was far to hard to get too. i also listened to Adelaide and Hawthorn on the radio. the later i'm still annoyed at missing, but i was far to fatigued

Going back to the radio rights (not TV) an interesting overview of the effect of the Crocmedia deal (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/crocmedia-snaps-up-big-role-as-afl-radio-rights-value-soars-20160914-grfv4c.html) courtesy of MediaWeek - fingers in the pie across all States & including both NRL & AFL.

I've been a long time 3AW listener to the Gerard Healy sports show at 6pm going back to the Hookesy days, and the transition to SportsDay name has been painless.

The home & away season will be big for Crocmedia:
http://www.mediaweek.com.au/crocmedia-sportsday/
For the regular AFL season, Crocmedia will be sometimes covering every game on a weekend, and covering most of them when there are matches played concurrently. Some of the matches will be covered for particular markets – for example Sydney Swans and GSW AFL games will be available only for the NSW market. Similarly it will be calling the matches from Queensland-based clubs for that market.

“Although we have been calling AFL matches for a number of years, this year more than ever we will be judged on how we represent football via our AFL Nation call. People will be asking, ‘Are we doing it well, are we doing it right?’ Because of the announcement of the six-year deal and because of how vigorous and aggressive we have been getting that deal across the line, there will be a lot of attention focused on us. We just have to get it right.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back