Injury 2017 Injury Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong forward Daniel Menzel has admitted the groin injury that ruled him out of last year’s preliminary final loss to Sydney took much longer to recuperate from than expected.

The 25-year old currently rates his body a “seven or eight” out of ten, and revealed the injury caused him to have a delayed start to pre-season, as he was stuck doing rehab.

“I’d say I’m a seven or eight, I’m getting there,” Menzel told SEN Breakfast.

More here plus audio at https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/03/09/end-of-season-injury-was-serious-says-menzel/

Something tells me that Menz will never have his body at 10 out of 10 again. Just have to make sure our management of him is as suitably cautious as possible while still getting a good return from him.

Could be good to give him (Menzel) the Ottens treatment.

Give him a few games throughout the year. say 50% of games. Then have him Cherry Ripe for finals

Last edited:
Apologies if already posted

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...1/news-story/bcfd38a2e7f348bb2779ec7c45a84379

SCOTT Selwood still remains in the frame for Round 1 despite not making the squad for Geelong’s final pre-season game against Essendon on Sunday.

The midfielder, who is recovering from inflammation around the sesamoid bone in his big toe, has not played competitively in 2017.

Cameron Guthrie and forward Lincoln McCarthy will need to get through training today to be declared available to play the Bombers in their country themed pre-season clash.

If you can't get past the paywall...
  • Scott is back running, was "very close" for JLT3, "in the frame" to play the VFL practice game
  • If Linc and Guthrie don't play JLT3 they will likely play the VFL practice game

Geelong forward Daniel Menzel has admitted the groin injury that ruled him out of last year’s preliminary final loss to Sydney took much longer to recuperate from than expected.

The 25-year old currently rates his body a “seven or eight” out of ten, and revealed the injury caused him to have a delayed start to pre-season, as he was stuck doing rehab.

“I’d say I’m a seven or eight, I’m getting there,” Menzel told SEN Breakfast.

More here plus audio at https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/03/09/end-of-season-injury-was-serious-says-menzel/

Everything menzel has done recovery wise and on field has been exceptional for himself and the club. I think after the next 1-2 years he should probably consider retiring. Poor kid won't be able to walk in 10 years much more to life than footy would be a coaching candidate type for sure. As anyone who has 4 knee reco's loves the game.

I understand he wants to play finals again and its possible this season after that getting back he should have nothing left to prove!

Apologies if already posted

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...1/news-story/bcfd38a2e7f348bb2779ec7c45a84379

If you can't get past the paywall...
  • Scott is back running, was "very close" for JLT3, "in the frame" to play the VFL practice game
  • If Linc and Guthrie don't play JLT3 they will likely play the VFL practice game

He is in the mix plenty of time conditioning wise before round 1. And Scott selwood is an experienced player they don't need pre-season games just get work in at VFL level

Sounds like a AC joint to me. Not a big deal really. Must have been light though usually 1 week off for that.

AC Joint can rule guys out for much longer periods a sprain is probably 3 weeks. Very dependent on case to case of course Geelong injury reports are baffling mysterious. He was named but must be in doubt I don't see the point of playing him if he is sore.

Something tells me that Menz will never have his body at 10 out of 10 again. Just have to make sure our management of him is as suitably cautious as possible while still getting a good return from him.

Your break your arm once its never the same. One ACL injury is horrible having four and still being able to play AFL standard well is nothing short of a miracle.

He probably is running around at about 60% of his potential. Which means with proper knees he would of been a superstar.

Could be good to give him (Menzel) the Ottens treatment.

Give him a few games throughout the year. say 50% of games. Then have him Cherry Ripe for finals

Ottens got out there a lot more than Menzel does. He was far more durable than legend has it.

Not sure if you can keep anyone in reserve cherry ripe for finals in the modern game.

Everything menzel has done recovery wise and on field has been exceptional for himself and the club. I think after the next 1-2 years he should probably consider retiring. Poor kid won't be able to walk in 10 years much more to life than footy would be a coaching candidate type for sure. As anyone who has 4 knee reco's loves the game.

I understand he wants to play finals again and its possible this season after that getting back he should have nothing left to prove!

Remember he played in the Qualifying Final against Hawthorn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AC Joint can rule guys out for much longer periods a sprain is probably 3 weeks. Very dependent on case to case of course Geelong injury reports are baffling mysterious. He was named but must be in doubt I don't see the point of playing him if he is sore.

Depends on the severity of course. Couple of times I've done mine I've been back 1-2 weeks later. AFL might take harder hits though :p

Ottens got out there a lot more than Menzel does. He was far more durable than legend has it.

Not sure if you can keep anyone in reserve cherry ripe for finals in the modern game.

Can't remember the exact number, but I don't remember him playing much in 2011 perhaps someone else knows where to look.

Isn't that why they bought in the bye pre finals, because clubs (Not looking in Ross Lyon's direction) were giving almost their entire senior list the week off in rd 23 when they could afford it.

Giving Him a couple of weeks off pre finals would do him no harm at all. Didn't mean to suggest we hide him away all season. Apologies if I wasn't clear.

Can't remember the exact number, but I don't remember him playing much in 2011 perhaps someone else knows where to look.

Isn't that why they bought in the bye pre finals, because clubs (Not looking in Ross Lyon's direction) were giving almost their entire senior list the week off in rd 23 when they could afford it.

Giving Him a couple of weeks off pre finals would do him no harm at all. Didn't mean to suggest we hide him away all season. Apologies if I wasn't clear.

Ottens? The one time they did roll the dice was in 2009, where he was brought back in Round 22. In 2011 he managed 20 games.

He missed the first 9 games of 2008, but then played the next 16. In 2010 he also missed a few games in the middle of the season before coming back in Round 15.

Ottens? The one time they did roll the dice was in 2009, where he was brought back in Round 22. In 2011 he managed 20 games.

He missed the first 9 games of 2008, but then played the next 16. In 2010 he also missed a few games in the middle of the season before coming back in Round 15.

I knew you'd have the answers P. My old memory fails me sometimes. Getting my premierships confused, horrible problem to have. Hard to argue 2009 didn't come off though really isn't it.

I knew you'd have the answers P. My old memory fails me sometimes. Getting my premierships confused, horrible problem to have. Hard to argue 2009 didn't come off though really isn't it.

Yeah for sure. They really did roll pretty major dice then. Then again they had to. They only had Blake who was fit, and Mumford had slammed into the wall late in the season (anyone who believes the total myth that he deserved to play finals, let alone a grand final, needs to watch his last two games).

Yeah for sure. They really did roll pretty major dice then. Then again they had to. They only had Blake who was fit, and Mumford had slammed into the wall late in the season (anyone who believes the total myth that he deserved to play finals, let alone a grand final, needs to watch his last two games).

In saying that I think we would have to acknowledge our own list mistakes with Mumford the boy deserved some coin to stay before Blakey boy just needed to shell out probably 150k more a season over 3.

Depends on the severity of course. Couple of times I've done mine I've been back 1-2 weeks later. AFL might take harder hits though :p

True hard to tell with shoulders until you get hit then you know. Pre season though I see a lot of emphasis on this JLT 3 game to get up for I'm not buying into it lol. Long way to round 1 its conditioning and being fresh the first couple of rounds are the toughest and fastest until you hit finals so take the fresh and fit guys in and integrate the other guys later if its rd 6 so be it.

Saying that Linc is named kolodashnij and selwood are far from ruled out of rd 1 in my eyes

Exactly. I hope so much that he gets to win a premiership medal. No current player (of any club) who doesn't have one deserves it more.

Sadly I feel that may be a bridge to far.

Yeah I would of liked him to play the prelim last year I'm not sure when we will get another shot that good. The upside of sides around and below us compared to our list changes and age trouble me this season. Really having trouble grading Geelong we just have weaknesses in bad areas and this third man rule hurts as further. Ruck department borderline for the top 4 side our forward line is a walking ???? Mark
Our defence is reshuffled and our midfield depth was weekened with caddy and the experience of Bartel. Other guys will need to step up dramatically to get us anywhere near that level optimism and cause for hope open mind for me this season. I expect nothing but hope for the world

Remove this Banner Ad

Back