2018 general discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Before or after he resigned?

Listen, they are just rumours that Carlton is interested in them, and that's all. If you don't take this rumour well, then wait until seasons end and look at player trades and FA.

After Carlton was hammered by 16 players GWS, Cripps realised that he made terrible mistake re-signing and wants trade.

Just keep your Carlton's rumours on your forum. Just crap.

After Carlton was hammered by 16 players GWS, Cripps realised that he made terrible mistake re-signing and wants trade.

Just keep your Carlton's rumours on your forum. Just crap.
K.

I’d like to point out that all these comments have stemmed from a single over exaggerated comment.
Of course its not like there are 40 players who want to go back to Melbourne, but there are more links to player trade, even if just rumors, than any other club.

It’s interesting being on the side that the media’s on atm. Having everyone thinking your comments are absolutely unthinkable. One slip up or deliberate comment can create a large enough ripple to create upset or change opinion.
I know that there have been links from Carlton to Fitzroy. Of course there has been outrage that it’s not true at all and they should look deeper, except bigger picture aside, they didn’t lie about the seasons, the wins and the success. I never heard anyone say that the club if in a dead end or should quit.

All I said was ‘players want out’ instead of ‘players have been linked with other clubs’

Last edited:

IMO, we shouldn’t get a PP, but you should.
Gold Coast isn’t a destination club, let’s be honest, and there are plenty of players who want out.

My question is, do you think it’s because of the climate, culture or success?
If climate, would a reallocation help?
As far as priority pick im not fussed if carlton get one or not but GC need 1 maybe more. And definitely need more then carlton wether thats in the mould of more picks/higher picks or salary/list increases.

I still believe if the AFL are smart they can disguise lynch compo pick 3 as a priority pick and still allow gold coast to match the lynch offer and force a trade to A. Force the recieving club to pay up. And B. Give the suns the extra assistance required without impacting the draft too much.

As far as priority pick im not fussed if carlton get one or not but GC need 1 maybe more. And definitely need more then carlton wether thats in the mould of more picks/higher picks or salary/list increases.

I still believe if the AFL are smart they can disguise lynch compo pick 3 as a priority pick and still allow gold coast to match the lynch offer and force a trade to A. Force the recieving club to pay up. And B. Give the suns the extra assistance required without impacting the draft too much.

17er has educated me that GWS has had 5 more top 10 players than us. That needs to be addressed.
Meant to be a fair competition and they get 5 more top 10 picks. So we should get pick 2 and 3 plus the 5 other picks.

So we should get pick 2,3,4,5,6,7,8 in this upcoming draft.

Then it’s even.

PS: Tony Cochrane I’m available to be on The Suns Board anytime. PM Me.

17er has educated me that GWS has had 5 more top 10 players than us. That needs to be addressed.
Meant to be a fair competition and they get 5 more top 10 picks. So we should get pick 2 and 3 plus the 5 other picks.

Then it’s even.

We’ll trade pick one for all of those

Then it’s even.

Maybe but it seems as though the AFL answer to eddie, kennett and all the other club presidents. No way can i see them handing all those picks out to us. The current media and public outcry is we should get an end of 1st round priority pick only (pick 19/20) maybe even later considering the amount of father son and academy players in this draft. If the AFL were to even give us a 1st round pick (3) there would be an outcry. My proposal sees them cop the outcry of giving us a high end priority pick but in turn gifting us the ability to extract a further 2 1st round selections for lynch. We will be in a great spot if we can finish with 5 1st round picks or more. Then as far as what to do with them... i feel we should trade 1 or 2 of them for experienced players (if we can convince them to come).

Before or after he resigned?

Listen, they are just rumours that Carlton is interested in them, and that's all. If you don't take this rumour well, then wait until seasons end and look at player trades and FA.
Please don't be condescending and associate us as supporters that are new to the game like this football club is - most of us have defected from our original clubs to support our beautiful Gold Coast, and jump on the wagon of something special as a fledgling club. With that comes natural passion just like any other club.

I feel we've been through far more difficult trade periods than this one coming up. Good luck, Carlton still have a way to bottoming out and all the green shoots floundering.

Then it’s even.

GWS in 7 years have had 30 first round picks compared to 21 in 8 for us

they also received Jeremy Cameron, Dylan Shiel, Adam Treloar, Jack Hombsch, Thomas Bugg, Nathan Wilson, Josh Bruce, Anthony Miles and Jacob Townsend from the underage selections that we managed to get Steven May, Rory Thompson, Trent McKenzie, Brandon Matera, Tom Nicholls and Mav Weller from.

We’ll trade pick one for all of those

To answer your question I think we will ask for a priority pick (likely end of first round) but who knows if we will get it? more importantly we need investment in the football program

As for the rumour, who knows but I doubt the club would give up 2x top 10 picks that are contracted for another 2 years without wanting a hefty price paid. Apart from pick 1 you don't have the currency to pull off a deal like that and I doubt you would part with it for it for those 3 players, what is the rumour mill saying the price is?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Screen Shot 2018-08-19 at 10.26.05 AM.png

Having a look our players giving away free kicks
Basically all forward line players!
Why?
When comparing to some other randomly selected teams below rucks and mids as you would expect are the most commonly penalised players (Adelaide has a few forwards as well)

IS it just because we are generally behind, being lead to the ball, kicking under pressure not to our advantage?
Is infuriating gifting possessions when the ball is in dispute in our forward line.
Tom, Jack and Sean are all a bit clumsy regularly tackling high which doesn't help..

Screen Shot 2018-08-19 at 10.29.43 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-08-19 at 10.29.02 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-08-19 at 10.27.26 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-08-19 at 10.26.44 AM.png

Also our finishing in general is so bad

Averaging 8.4 goals, 10.1 behinds

Only other teams with clear negative differential
St Kilda 10.1 goals, 11.7 behinds
Bulldogs 10.0 goals, 10.7 behinds
GWS 12.4 goals, 13.3 behinds

Everyone else neutral or positive differential.

If we could make that 10.1 goals and 8.4 behinds our % would be 71.1 not 62.2

Also our finishing in general is so bad

Averaging 8.4 goals, 10.1 behinds

Only other teams with clear negative differential
St Kilda 10.1 goals, 11.7 behinds
Bulldogs 10.0 goals, 10.7 behinds
GWS 12.4 goals, 13.3 behinds

Everyone else neutral or positive differential.

If we could make that 10.1 goals and 8.4 behinds our % would be 71.1 not 62.2
Reflects the lack of a key forward more than anything else IMO

View attachment 545528

Having a look our players giving away free kicks
Basically all forward line players!
Why?
When comparing to some other randomly selected teams below rucks and mids as you would expect are the most commonly penalised players (Adelaide has a few forwards as well)

IS it just because we are generally behind, being lead to the ball, kicking under pressure not to our advantage?
Is infuriating gifting possessions when the ball is in dispute in our forward line.
Tom, Jack and Sean are all a bit clumsy regularly tackling high which doesn't help..

View attachment 545524 View attachment 545525 View attachment 545526 View attachment 545527
Would you have pressure points stats?

Would you have pressure points stats?
Not exactly.
Just looking up a few games
1 win and 3-4 losses so should be semi reflective of our season

Young 14, 25,19,15,12
Sexton 15, 10,12,15,17
Ainsworth 15, 7,18
Holman 15, 23,18,30,21
Lemmens 5,18,22
Powell 12,18,19
Macpherson 16

Opposition small / mid forwards: 9, 11,6,8,18, 10,14,17,19,8,12,8,11,13

So comparatively our small and mid forwards have higher pressure act proportion than the opposition.
May reflect that they have the ball more than us.

Holman our best.

Not exactly.
Just looking up a few games
1 win and 3-4 losses so should be semi reflective of our season

Young 14, 25,19,15,12
Sexton 15, 10,12,15,17
Ainsworth 15, 7,18
Holman 15, 23,18,30,21
Lemmens 5,18,22
Powell 12,18,19
Macpherson 16

Opposition small / mid forwards: 9, 11,6,8,18, 10,14,17,19,8,12,8,11,13

So comparatively our small and mid forwards have higher pressure act proportion than the opposition.
May reflect that they have the ball more than us.

Holman our best.
Where you grabbing that data from?
Interested in how Heron and Scheer compare to those named, given they are obviously our next tier down/next soldier up types.

Where you grabbing that data from?
Interested in how Heron and Scheer compare to those named, given they are obviously our next tier down/next soldier up types.
available on the AFL app
maybe you need to be a telstra member?

Heron had 16 PA in one match i looked at before
Scheer about 10 from memory

I see Roos on The Couch has put out there what should happen to even up the system. And what I have suggested in here. You guys need more mature bodies to help the kids in the ressies. AND they should be available as extra rookie type players should they show good form.

So bottom 4 teams maybe, but definitely northern clubs have 3-4 extra players that have to be 20-25 years old, and would be drafted from 2nd tier comps, ie. WAFL, SANFL, VFL. (I think Mr Bods has also been putting this suggestion in here).

I see Roos on The Couch has put out there what should happen to even up the system. And what I have suggested in here. You guys need more mature bodies to help the kids in the ressies. AND they should be available as extra rookie type players should they show good form.

So bottom 4 teams maybe, but definitely northern clubs have 3-4 extra players that have to be 20-25 years old, and would be drafted from 2nd tier comps, ie. WAFL, SANFL, VFL. (I think Mr Bods has also been putting this suggestion in here).
Yeah Roos has been saying this for the past month on the Sunday rub on triple m Melbourne.

He said on Sunday Suns should get 5 extra list spots just for big body mature players from the state leagues to help protect the kids

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back