NRL 2019 NRL Grand Final: Sydney Roosters v Canberra Raiders

Remove this Banner Ad

Correct decision in the end as it turned out.

The six again was corrected immediately and shouted out 4 times. The Raiders seemed to be playing with great urgency as though it was the last tackle anyway.

Do you call it correctly and rob the Raiders of a chance to get a kick in to the in goal for another six tackles, or do you call it incorrectly and give the Raiders six more tackles on the Roosters line?

They weren't robbed, at least nowhere near as much as the Roosters might have been had the six tackles stood.

I dislike the Roosters btw.
I think you’re in the minority according to social media. Absolute carnage.

Unles he hadn’t called it at all.

But he did, so either way we'd be sitting here talking about one side being ripped off. Don't call it, Raiders get a chance to use the ball on the last tackle. Do call it, Raiders get 6 tackles on the line to score off a wrong call. Call it and reverse it, Raiders lose the chance to use the ball on the last tackle. Seems the worst option there is to call it incorrectly and allow it to stand.

I think you’re in the minority according to social media. Absolute carnage.

It was a poor display of refereeing and people are reacting to that. Thinking that the Raiders deserves those 6 tackles and would have won if not for the reversal is a little bit over emotional. They were the underdogs against the reigning premiers. I get the emotion.

A classic “imagine if it happened in a grand final” moment tonight that actually happened in a grand final.
Must be some AFL fans who watched tonight who won’t be complaining for a while again about umpires never admitting their mistakes and never changing their decisions during the game. The alternative can be chaos.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

But he did, so either way we'd be sitting here talking about one side being ripped off. Don't call it, Raiders get a chance to use the ball on the last tackle. Do call it, Raiders get 6 tackles on the line to score off a wrong call. Call it and reverse it, Raiders lose the chance to use the ball on the last tackle. Seems the worst option there is to call it incorrectly and allow it to stand.

Best option as far as I can see would be to stand by the original call, at least until a break in play. If they were to score in the next passage, there is certainly technology available that could be put to use to get a closer look at it and then reverse the decision. Now sure that may have caused some uproar as well, but for any sport I don’t think changing decisions ‘in play’ is ever a way to go, and the trend towards using video technology to change decisions but only during stoppages of play brings better outcomes. Just.

Best option as far as I can see would be to stand by the original call, at least until a break in play. If they were to score in the next passage, there is certainly technology available that could be put to use to get a closer look at it and then reverse the decision. Now sure that may have caused some uproar as well, but for any sport I don’t think changing decisions ‘in play’ is ever a way to go, and the trend towards using video technology to change decisions but only during stoppages of play brings better outcomes. Just.

They can't go back and consider a wrong decision at the start of a set. They can only review the play in which a team scored.

Why do they have $2million higher salary cap than any other team?

They don't. They are just star studded and keep poaching players, and nobody understands how they can fit them under the cap.

The Raiders were robbed. They would have gone for the field goal if it hadn't been called six again.

When exactly? They'd just put up the kick already, how 5-10 seconds later, when they weren't set, on the same tackle, would they go for a field goal? It was the 5th tackle already. Sure, they might have kicked it again if they'd heeded one of the 3-4 calls of 5th tackle, but they weren't kicking a field goal.

A classic “imagine if it happened in a grand final” moment tonight that actually happened in a grand final.
Must be some AFL fans who watched tonight who won’t be complaining for a while again about umpires never admitting their mistakes and never changing their decisions during the game. The alternative can be chaos.

100%. The referee boss won’t even go close to admitting it was a mistake, even a few hours later. Still won’t. He ll back those on the field. Imagine if he didn’t. The uproar would be astronomical.
Was a terrible decision, perhaps buoyed by the fact it was the GF. Emotional and trying to make it fair yet went the other way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope the Roosters invited the refs to their post-game celebrations.

Last edited:
The biggest travesty was the blocked kick that rebounded off a Rooster Trainer with Raiders player looking to run into an open try situation..Phew that was the cream on the cake. And Roosters got the advantage from that. Go Figure HFIT

The hits just keep on coming for the NRL

Not sure what game Trent Robinson was watching, but he's kidding himself if he thinks his team was hard done by. Apart from a play where I think Canberra knocked on and recovered the ball at halfway in the second half, Canberra are the only ones that claim they were duded.

1. The trainer. Correct decision made but geez, a Canberra player the only person with cooee of running on to the lose ball and going all the way, and then Easts score shortly after.

2. Easts continually tackling Raiders around the throat and given the all clear yet when Raiders did it, copped a penalty straight away.

3. Don't know who the little ref was as he was overshadowed by Cummons, but he seemed too scared to make any decision whatsoever throughout the night. (Mostly in relation to high shots)

4. That big fellow from Canberra from 5 metres out would have taken two steps, dived and slid over the line with Cronk hanging off him and scored a try. For the video ref to say it's not a try scoring opportunity is just having a lend.

5. You can't call 6 again and then justify changing your mind by saying last tackle was called four times when 80,000 people are going off their nut 10 minutes from full time. Canberra had tried kicking on the 4th tackle a few times, the 5th tackle a few times so not kicking at all seems to be going against the team rules. There weren't many line drop outs but then the kicking didn't force line drop outs. The majority of Canberra's kicks took the aerial route.

The game was an absolute cracker as far as games go.

If you are not a rooster fan, this grand final is a waste due to ref incompetence. No-one will know who was the best side

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk
Raiders were the better team, but it seemed like the roosters because of the blunder of a decision from the refs. #freekickroosters

4. That big fellow from Canberra from 5 metres out would have taken two steps, dived and slid over the line with Cronk hanging off him and scored a try. For the video ref to say it's not a try scoring opportunity is just having a lend.

Agree with the rest, but it was a try scoring opportunity, hence the sin binning, but a penalty try must only be awarded if you are 100% certain the player would have scored, yes it was highly probable, but not a guarantee. Correct call there

Anyway I see Annesley came out last night and gave the refs the tick of approval over the 6 again change of call, seems to think it would have been a bigger blunder to give Raiders the set from a 50/50 error than completely screw over a team with a shocking blunder rarely seen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back