NRL 2019 NRL Grand Final: Sydney Roosters v Canberra Raiders

Remove this Banner Ad

I mean, what do you say?

The ref made a shitty call. He then probably had voices in his ear to that effect and tried to rectify it on the run, which in turn was another shitty call. Has absolutely turned the tide of the game and unfairly affected the way Canberra attempted their play. It's an absolute utensil up and the NRL are doing an AFL by putting their heads in the sand and toeing the company line in the media. We will hear a well scripted, legally checked off response any day now... "Nothing to see here, everything is as it should be." Another amateur display, in a sport that's professional at being amateur.

The closest comparison in sports I can think of is a Basketball match with 1 min to go; there is a whistle, some conjecture and the shot clock is reset to 24 secs. The ball is inbounded but the shot clocks plays for 6 secs and a violation is called, offensive team is bewildered. Confusion ensues and the other team goes down the floor to score a 3 pointer and essentially seal the game.

This is not even mentioning the situation with the Roosters trainer. They actually were advantaged by that?! WTF?!

A farce...

When I 1st saw it I thought it was a huge, huge call, but on reflection, it was the right one to make.

Have seen a heck of a lot worse this year.

I don't think anyone is disputing whether it was the right call. It was the initial calling of six more that is contentious. The Raiders would have played it completely different if not for that call.

I don't think anyone is disputing whether it was the right call. It was the initial calling of six more that is contentious. The Raiders would have played it completely different if not for that call.

It was a last tackle bomb, and after that call they kept flinging the ball around as though they were trying to score off that play. I'm sure some thought it was the last tackle and didn't see the 6 again, some heard the last tackle call. Wighton might have thought it was 6 again, but the most he would have done is pass it quickly. They wouldn't have set up for a field goal mid tackle and Wighton wasn't in a very good position to get a kick through that traffic IMO.

I'm not sure it cost them the game as many have suggested.

It was a last tackle bomb, and after that call they kept flinging the ball around as though they were trying to score off that play. I'm sure some thought it was the last tackle and didn't see the 6 again, some heard the last tackle call. Wighton might have thought it was 6 again, but the most he would have done is pass it quickly. They wouldn't have set up for a field goal mid tackle and Wighton wasn't in a very good position to get a kick through that traffic IMO.

Completely take your points, but it is just unavoidable that it's farcical to have a team under the impression that a set of circumstances is occurring, they act accordingly (however they see fit) and then penalise them as if an alternate set of circumstances apply. My basketball analogy is the closest I could come up with. It's an absolute joke and definitely changed the game.

I mean, what do you say?

The ref made a s**tty call. He then probably had voices in his ear to that effect and tried to rectify it on the run, which in turn was another s**tty call. Has absolutely turned the tide of the game and unfairly affected the way Canberra attempted their play. It's an absolute utensil up and the NRL are doing an AFL by putting their heads in the sand and toeing the company line in the media. We will hear a well scripted, legally checked off response any day now... "Nothing to see here, everything is as it should be." Another amateur display, in a sport that's professional at being amateur.

The closest comparison in sports I can think of is a Basketball match with 1 min to go; there is a whistle, some conjecture and the shot clock is reset to 24 secs. The ball is inbounded but the shot clocks plays for 6 secs and a violation is called, offensive team is bewildered. Confusion ensues and the other team goes down the floor to score a 3 pointer and essentially seal the game.

This is not even mentioning the situation with the Roosters trainer. They actually were advantaged by that?! WTF?!

A farce...

They didn’t waste any time at all, straight after the game...

Everyone behind Wighton was lining up for a play the ball, they clearly thought it was 6 again as well

They didn’t waste any time at all, straight after the game...

I love how these sporting organisations just feel they can talk down to their stakeholders and fans, as if they are shitty plebians without a thought in their brain.

On that note, how can we eliminate errors like this from the game? Can a game stopping whistle be blown, with an explanation made to both teams that a last tackle play will be made, after an officiating error? It obviously kills momentum/tactical advantage of the moment but at least both teams are clear and on a level playing field? Or is the old adage of 'play to the umpires whistle/call' still the best way forward, mistake or no mistake? Thoughts?

I'm a Raiders fan who was at the game. While Raiders played some brilliant football, in the end the right team won. It was a great game, ruined by a sour end for Raiders fans, and for fans who want the game adjudicated properly.

1. Roosters kicking game was much stronger than Raiders. While Raiders had better possession of the ball, on the last tackle Roosters more often made a lot better decisions on where to place the ball to put Raiders defence under pressure. I always felt we were more vulnerable on their last tackle than vice versa.
2. Our defence was elite. Everyone has gone on about the Roosters defence, but given their two tries came through somewhat controversial circumstances, and considering their class I thought we were brilliant.
3. Raiders wasted the opportunity of Cronk being sidelined for 10 minutes. Should have at least scored a try in that time.
4. The refereeing chaos of the last 10 minutes was bad but I thought the Raiders should have gone for a field goal with 15 minutes to go. Would have changed the calculus for the Roosters, they would have had to gone the attack and therefore left them vulnerable on the counter attack. They seemed happy to absorb the Raiders attack while it was 8 all, waiting for the inevitable counter punch (like we did to Souths the week before).
5. More questions should be asked about why a trainer was on the field five minutes into the game. Like runners in the AFL their purpose is questionable, and they seem to be used more as a way of cheating than for support of the players. Ban support staff aside from natural breaks in play (scrums, scores).
6. The refereeing chaos of the last 10 minutes was shitty but not unusual for NRL, which is so poorly officiated it makes the AFL look good. But the Raiders were helped into the qualifying final by poor officiating (although we beat Storm fair and square), so you can't complain. Like the AFL, the NRL pretend there isn't a problem. Simmons is bad but nowhere near as bad as Klein.
8. I'm glad I was at the game and didn't have to listed to the commentary.
9. The mostly pro-Raiders crowd was the best I've been at for any sport in this country. Absolutely electric and it's a real shame the Raiders didn't win based on how mental the crowd would have been.

Lastly, anyone who says the AFL should play a night GF is nuts. I have been to three GFs of both sports, 2012 NRL (Storm beat Bulldogs), 2013 AFL (Hawks beat Freo) and 2019, and I can tell you, despite being devastated by Freo's loss, I still enjoyed myself afterwards and drowned my sorrows. Last night I just went straight to bed.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m a die hard rooster fan so yeah I’m biased.
But why is it that this sort of thing happens and everyone bleats about it costing the game but no one wants to address that the Raiders were given a penalty on the halfway line for a stripped ball when their player clearly dropped it cold? They had a player lose a ball 2 metres forward, everyone stops, the ball gets regathered, no reset tackle count, nothing - so how did the ball get there?
Cronk got sin binned basically for a good defensive read that was just a fraction of a second quick.

On top of all that, do the raiders fans having a moan understand that if the 6 again call was upheld and they then scored, the headlines suddenly become about the Roosters being robbed by an incorrect decision?

The raiders had every opportunity to win that game. Both sides got some bad luck and bad calls but one team capitalised and the other didn’t

I’m a die hard rooster fan so yeah I’m biased.
But why is it that this sort of thing happens and everyone bleats about it costing the game but no one wants to address that the Raiders were given a penalty on the halfway line for a stripped ball when their player clearly dropped it cold? They had a player lose a ball 2 metres forward, everyone stops, the ball gets regathered, no reset tackle count, nothing - so how did the ball get there?
Cronk got sin binned basically for a good defensive read that was just a fraction of a second quick.

On top of all that, do the raiders fans having a moan understand that if the 6 again call was upheld and they then scored, the headlines suddenly become about the Roosters being robbed by an incorrect decision?

The raiders had every opportunity to win that game. Both sides got some bad luck and bad calls but one team capitalised and the other didn’t
Roosters have this pathetic, Selwood-like habit of milking penalties when slightly brushed by aggressive contact, so I can see why you're a fan.

It is the National (Roosters, Storm and Broncos) Rugby League. Not sure why anyone is surprised.

Wake up and smell the deep heat.

The Roosters success doesn’t help the NrL one bit. It’s not a growth area, it’s not a junior nursery and it geographically can never become one. It is a self sufficient club that the nrl doesn’t need to be successful to pay its way. It’s the oldest club in the competition aside from Souths and has had 111 years to build a huge fan base - and it still hasn’t. It sits in the middle of the table numbers wise.

Meanwhile the Raiders are a provincial club in a huge, huge growth and junior area, with a fairly dormant fan base due to 25 years of no trophies.

The room for growth if they succeed is huge.

Now you tell me, exactly who’s accountant would go into NrL headquarters and suggest that the competition be rigged for the Roosters to win instead of Canberra?

When I 1st saw it I thought it was a huge, huge call, but on reflection, it was the right one to make.

Have seen a heck of a lot worse this year.
To be fair, no matter how many times you look at it, I would challenge anyone to say what the right or wrong decision was....you cannot categorically say it didn’t touch Tedesco from the vision I have seen....what we do know, is Cummins should of stuck with his original call regardless. I still contend Leilua made the biggest error in the game.

To be fair, no matter how many times you look at it, I would challenge anyone to say what the right or wrong decision was....you cannot categorically say it didn’t touch Tedesco from the vision I have seen....what we do know, is Cummins should of stuck with his original call regardless. I still contend Leilua made the biggest error in the game.

I think it was Tapine who was literally facing his own tryline lumbering back onside with no urgency whatsoever when Verrills scored the first try. Pretty massive brain melt in hindsight

Great win by Easts.

Great effort by Canberra.

Well deserved medal to Wighton.

Loved Horsburgh's game.

Horrid call to overturn the 6 to go in play.

I can’t be bothered reading through the whole thread to see if it came up at all but as good as Wighton was, he was the main attacking director for a side that spent a good half hour absolutely camped in our half and the only points he could lay on were from his own run. He made two errors.

JWH who was so far ahead of any other player on the field in the first half it was just ridiculous, made 160m and 41 tackles with just 3 misses and from memory his only error was giving away a penalty. Think he was extremely unlucky to miss out

I can’t be bothered reading through the whole thread to see if it came up at all but as good as Wighton was, he was the main attacking director for a side that spent a good half hour absolutely camped in our half and the only points he could lay on were from his own run. He made two errors.

JWH who was so far ahead of any other player on the field in the first half it was just ridiculous, made 160m and 41 tackles with just 3 misses and from memory his only error was giving away a penalty. Think he was extremely unlucky to miss out

I had him ahead at half time but by the end I had Wighton on top.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back