2022 Club Financial Results

Remove this Banner Ad

Thats not a change, been that way since formation

Apologies. I clearly misread/misremembered that bit.

The lease was modified

Part of the 2022 financial result includes a lease modification of $12.4m in relation to Metricon Stadium, which the Club manages for the AFL, who hold the Head Lease with Stadiums Queensland.

The lease modification has resulted in additional lease amortisation of $1.25m and additional lease interest of $0.76m in 2022, thereby resulting in a cumulative increase in expenses of $2.01m for 2022.

The AFL posted a profit of around 20 million for the 2022 season. It's an ok result, but you'd think an organisation the size of the AFL should be posting profits of 40 mill plus per year, particularly when trying to retrieve the 80 odd million lost in the covid affected years.

This part concerned me:
“Our underlying profit was a budget break even result, and while our profit and cash balance were both significant on paper, they included partial receipt of the majority of the $225 million dollar Government grant for the Marvel Stadium redevelopment partnership that was announced in 2018 – a redevelopment that is now close to being completed.” Mr Auld said.

Does that mean it's technically another loss but the government money sent to them got factored in to turn it into a profit?

The AFL posted a profit of around 20 million for the 2022 season. It's an ok result, but you'd think an organisation the size of the AFL should be posting profits of 40 mill plus per year, particularly when trying to retrieve the 80 odd million lost in the covid affected years.

This part concerned me:
“Our underlying profit was a budget break even result, and while our profit and cash balance were both significant on paper, they included partial receipt of the majority of the $225 million dollar Government grant for the Marvel Stadium redevelopment partnership that was announced in 2018 – a redevelopment that is now close to being completed.” Mr Auld said.

Does that mean it's technically another loss but the government money sent to them got factored in to turn it into a profit?

It's not that clear wording from Auld but I think that he means the overall total statutory profit was large due to the state government funding for Marvel rather than the $20m "underlying" profit included this.

The AFL has not referred to this total profit in this release because I think they are trying to downplay it particularly when they are trying to get money from the Federal Government for the Hobart stadium. They don't want politicians demanding that the AFL contribute more than the $15m they have already pledged which Albanese has seemingly done.

Last edited:
It's not that clear wording from Auld but I think that he means the overall total statutory profit was large due to the state government funding for Marvel rather than the $20m "underlying" profit included this.

The AFL has not referred to this total profit in this release because I think they are trying to downplay it particularly when they are trying to get money from the Federal Government for the Hobart stadium. They don't want politicians demand that the AFL contribute more than the $15m they have already pledged which Albanese has seemingly done.

That would make sense. It kinda reflects how ridiculous albo's request for more cash is when it will basically wipe out a years worth of profits and no other league in the country contributes to their stadium builds either. I would abort if it's anything over 20 mill the AFL have to put in, make the Tasmanian government or private investors come up with the rest if they want to.

Hawks, Tigers and Bulldogs seem to have a lot of cash on hand. Is this due to upcoming ground developments?

$16m of the Dogs' cash is from government grants for the redevelopment and the club will be put in a fair amount of its own cash.

Hawthorn and Richmond both will be funding a substantial amount of their developments from the large amount of cash they both hold.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The overall financial outcome is pretty remarkable given this year is the tail end of a 3-year pandemic disruption.

The $20M needs to be considered in the context of the clubs' aggregate surpluses of almost $130M with four clubs still to report. After the last four clubs' report the total surplus might push up to around $240M over the last 2 years. A large minority of that is probably government grants but it is still incredible. A decent chunk of it would be due to the AFL crunching the football department cap.

The net "equity" within the game will be several hundred million larger than before the pandemic (when you factor in most of the Vic government monies coming in)

Also, as mentioned in the press release, the AFL ran two AFLW seasons last year, the second of which almost doubled the player payments and expanded to 18 teams. That's baked in to the cost structure now

In terms of the question "what profit should the AFL make", it is important starting point to remember the AFL is a Not for Profit. True also of pretty much all the clubs (with the quasi exception of the WA clubs). The only reason for the AFL to make a "profit" is for strategic reasons (i.e. financial resilience, paying down debt etc). Otherwise, it is better off reinvesting in the game.

On that basis, the AFL is in an excellent position given it has managed to screw down the costs (particularly the non playing football department costs) in the game and is the only major sport to materially increase its TV deal (both the NRL and cricket have effectively locked pre-pandemic tv money for most of the rest of this decade).

In addition to Tasmanian negotiations, I imagine the AFL would want to avoid crowing about financial position as it negotiates the CBAs with AFL / AFLW players and new funding agreements / soft football department caps with the clubs. Obviously, the clubs and AFLPA would have good access to the financials so more from a PR perspective.

The overall financial outcome is pretty remarkable given this year is the tail end of a 3-year pandemic disruption.

The $20M needs to be considered in the context of the clubs' aggregate surpluses of almost $130M with four clubs still to report. After the last four clubs' report the total surplus might push up to around $240M over the last 2 years. A large minority of that is probably government grants but it is still incredible. A decent chunk of it would be due to the AFL crunching the football department cap.

The net "equity" within the game will be several hundred million larger than before the pandemic (when you factor in most of the Vic government monies coming in)

Also, as mentioned in the press release, the AFL ran two AFLW seasons last year, the second of which almost doubled the player payments and expanded to 18 teams. That's baked in to the cost structure now

In terms of the question "what profit should the AFL make", it is important starting point to remember the AFL is a Not for Profit. True also of pretty much all the clubs (with the quasi exception of the WA clubs). The only reason for the AFL to make a "profit" is for strategic reasons (i.e. financial resilience, paying down debt etc). Otherwise, it is better off reinvesting in the game.

On that basis, the AFL is in an excellent position given it has managed to screw down the costs (particularly the non playing football department costs) in the game and is the only major sport to materially increase its TV deal (both the NRL and cricket have effectively locked pre-pandemic tv money for most of the rest of this decade).

In addition to Tasmanian negotiations, I imagine the AFL would want to avoid crowing about financial position as it negotiates the CBAs with AFL / AFLW players and new funding agreements / soft football department caps with the clubs. Obviously, the clubs and AFLPA would have good access to the financials so more from a PR perspective.

Strategically it might be a good year to have low profits when seeking funding from albo, plus the cba like you say, but are they that smart to actually intentionally do that?

They had one of the biggest finals series we've seen this year, mostly sellouts, so I would have thought they'd make a bit more, however the cost base of AFLW is huge and is going to be a financial burden for a long time.

I agree money should mostly go back into the game, however the nrl are pulling in massive profits the past few years and closing the gap. This will inadvertently halt the AFL's push into nsw and qld, as traditionally the nrl like to block AFL progress there, as much as possible.

Last edited:
I don't think the AFL deliberately crafted a $20m profit for PR reasons just to be clear. I was more referring to not even communicating the official profit in the press release. By "strategically" I was referring to a strategically optimal "equity" position.

The NRL isn't closing any gaps. The gap is widening.

They are miles behind on investing in the NRLW (compared to the AFLW), are about to commit to massive increases in club / player payments, and have a substantially increased gap in TV funding on the horizon. The reasons they made higher profits in the Covid years were
-primarily being not hit as hard in the first year (e.g. Melbourne),
-not owning a stadium that couldn't operate
-not having massive revenues from live attendance and membership
-cutting media and development costs

None of this helps them competing on the ground in NSW and QLD. The latter point (particularly cost cutting on development) actually makes it harder.

The AFL's profit depends entirely on how much it distributes to clubs. If it wants to make more profit, it simply distributes less.

Ultimately over time the AFL shouldn't be making much profit over a longer period anyway. If it earns too much income it should either be putting it into game development or giving it back to the clubs.

worth noting that media rights go from sub 400m (final year of pandemic reduced rights down from 418m) to 476m in 2023. Getting a 130m increase in revenue is no small thing.

Strategically it might be a good year to have low profits when seeking funding from albo, plus the cba like you say, but are they that smart to actually intentionally do that?

They had one of the biggest finals series we've seen this year, mostly sellouts, so I would have thought they'd make a bit more, however the cost base of AFLW is huge and is going to be a financial burden for a long time.

I agree money should mostly go back into the game, however the nrl are pulling in massive profits the past few years and closing the gap. This will inadvertently halt the AFL's push into nsw and qld, as traditionally the nrl like to block AFL progress there, as much as possible.
It won’t halt the AFL’s push into QLD and NSW. The AFL invest much more than NRL into game development and participation. This is mainly a reflection of their superior TV deal which has provided them this significant investment lead going back into grass roots and expansion for years. The gap should be maintained moving forward thanks to the AFLs latest TV bonanza which took it to a new level this year looking towards 2030.

On the Clubs finances, two key factors have driven the huge profits across the comp. Government grants supporting facility expansion the big one. Secondly, Clubs haven’t returned to pre pandemic levels of expenditure as yet. They have benefited ‘pocketed’ significant profits from the lower soft cap. They also have slimmer commercial teams post covid. All this whilst revenues have largely returned to pre pandemic levels. This has driven enlarged profits that will be pressured over the next 2-3 years.

The GIANTS will transform their training and community centre at Sydney Olympic Park into a new centre of excellence thanks to a $15 million grant from the NSW Liberal and Nationals Government

Premier Dominic Perrottet said the project would provide a home ground for the GIANTS' AFLW team, as well as high-performance facilities for the club’s AFL, AFLW and netball teams.

“Women’s sport is experiencing exponential growth and this project has a particular focus on creating more opportunities for women and girls in AFL,” Mr Perrottet said.

“The $15 million investment to develop new facilities will also help the GIANTS expand its community outreach program, by increasing access and utilisation for grassroots community sporting clubs and schools in Western Sydney.”

Minister for Sport Alister Henskens said the funding will support the installation of new lighting, scoreboard, oval fencing and a swimming pool complex.

The GIANTS will transform their training and community centre at Sydney Olympic Park into a new centre of excellence thanks to a $15 million grant from the NSW Liberal and Nationals Government

Premier Dominic Perrottet said the project would provide a home ground for the GIANTS' AFLW team, as well as high-performance facilities for the club’s AFL, AFLW and netball teams.

“Women’s sport is experiencing exponential growth and this project has a particular focus on creating more opportunities for women and girls in AFL,” Mr Perrottet said.

“The $15 million investment to develop new facilities will also help the GIANTS expand its community outreach program, by increasing access and utilisation for grassroots community sporting clubs and schools in Western Sydney.”

Minister for Sport Alister Henskens said the funding will support the installation of new lighting, scoreboard, oval fencing and a swimming pool complex.

Very interesting situation could happen with this announcement - The Libs have the NSW State Election coming up soon and the polls are saying it is likely they will lose the election. So IF the opposition win will they follow through with this project.

Very interesting situation could happen with this announcement - The Libs have the NSW State Election coming up soon and the polls are saying it is likely they will lose the election. So IF the opposition win will they follow through with this project.

Its in the same round of funding as the Swans 5.9m and SydneyFCs 5.5m...soooo we'll see i guess

Its in the same round of funding as the Swans 5.9m and SydneyFCs 5.5m...soooo we'll see i guess
Political persuasions aside, it’s unlikely the Libs will win in NSW. Therefore, for all clubs sake whilst not holding my breath, I hope the Labor party follow through and provide the funding. The Giants need the help in particular.

Political persuasions aside, it’s unlikely the Libs will win in NSW. Therefore, for all clubs sake whilst not holding my breath, I hope the Labor party follow through and provide the funding. The Giants need the help in particular.

I think this was all in the last budget. Not election promised.

CHAIRMAN David Koch has outlined Port Adelaide’s plans to reduce debt and build on its asset base at the club’s Annual General Meeting.

Speaking to about 300 members at the Lakes Resort Hotel, Mr Koch elaborated on the club’s financial result released in December, which included an operating profit of over $3.4million.

With operating revenue increasing to $57million – up $8million on the previous financial year – the club was able to pay down a further $2.5million of debt, leaving Port Adelaide just over $6million in the red.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back