World Cup 2022 FIFA World Cup - Group D - (France, Australia, Denmark, Tunisia)

Remove this Banner Ad

Of all the groups, we do have a chance, where are the goals coming from though?

I’m predicting Mabil gets a goal vs Tunisia, and we go scoreless against France and Denmark.

Let's realistically think about how the first two rounds of this group are going to play out. France are going to beat us, that's about as sure a bet as any and I would think Denmark will beat Tunisia. In the second round I think we have a really good chance to beat the 38th ranked Tunisians and I'd also expect France to beat Denmark comfortably.

So then we roll into the last round of the group stage - France are already through and Tunisia can't advance. It comes down to us vs Denmark for a spot in the round of 16. I'm going to say it's fairly likely we will have conceded more goals / scored less goals than the Danes by this stage so a draw won't help. We need to beat Denmark to advance.

Can we do it? It's obviously going to be difficult but we've done it tough the whole way through the qualifying stages and the underdog situation often brings out the best in our athletes. I want to believe we can do it but it feels like a massive stretch to say we can beat Denmark and I'm usually very optimistic in these situations...

Mat Ryan or Mitch Langerak? I am a big fan.of Mat Ryan, but I think we have to give the gloves to Mitch.. his form in the J League has been impressive. Yes it's not the biggest and best league going around, but Mat Ryan in and out of club footy, I think it will hurt his form..
But I think they will still pick Mat, as his been captain the last couple of years, but it should be Mitch

See Volpato with a goal and assist for Roma overnight. Worth giving him a go

Urgh, the Volpato stuff is starting up again.

He's dream is to play for Italy, which he's done at u19/20s let's be clear he ain't coming to the WC and he's choosing Italy until it's not a choice.

Kuol will be out youth bolter with sub opportunities with 20 mins to go, maybe Marco Tilio as outside chance

France have several injury concerns, so may not be at their best....

In doubt: Raphael Varane (thigh), Wesley Fofana (knee), Jules Kounde (thigh), Mike Maignan (calf), Lucas Hernandez (adductor)

Out: Paul Pogba (thigh), N’Golo Kante (hamstring)

The defending champions have had a wretched run injury-wise. The midfield generals, Pogba and Kante, who spearheaded their 2018 triumph will both miss the tournament, while there are injury woes across the field. They face Australia in their first group game, giving a gentle tinge of optimism for Socceroos fans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mat Ryan or Mitch Langerak? I am a big fan.of Mat Ryan, but I think we have to give the gloves to Mitch.. his form in the J League has been impressive. Yes it's not the biggest and best league going around, but Mat Ryan in and out of club footy, I think it will hurt his form..
But I think they will still pick Mat, as his been captain the last couple of years, but it should be Mitch
Has to be Langerak. Ryan has barely played club football for the past three years, and the J. League is a decent standard. Obviously no PL or La Liga, but it's the best league in Asia by a fair distance.

France- even with all the outs have enough depth to cover any and all losses.

Denmark- Lead by one of the most underrated CB in world football, Simon Kjær, Denmark are a good mix of youth and experience.

Tunisia- topped their group and ended up knocking out Mali. Very physical and tough side.

Australia- well, let's be honest, scrapped in by the skins of our kahounas and definitely will have our work cut out. The good thing is any thing can happen.

France and Denmark go through.

He's dream is to play for Italy, which he's done at u19/20s let's be clear he ain't coming to the WC and he's choosing Italy until it's not a choice.

Kuol will be out youth bolter with sub opportunities with 20 mins to go, maybe Marco Tilio as outside chance

And when he no longer has that choice hope we ignore him.

Kante missing the tournament is a big loss for Les Bleus. Pogba - meh.

Tchoumanei should be able to step up.

As for the Socceroos we should play a compact game against Les Bleus and keep it as tight as possible. Go for the win against Tunisia and hopefully pick up a draw against Denmark. Certainly not out of the realms of possibility. Peru are a pretty good side and we were surprisingly good against them being unlucky not to win in normal time.

In doubt: Raphael Varane (thigh), Wesley Fofana (knee), Jules Kounde (thigh), Mike Maignan (calf), Lucas Hernandez (adductor)

The defending champions have had a wretched run injury-wise. The midfield generals, Pogba and Kante, who spearheaded their 2018 triumph will both miss the tournament, while there are injury woes across the field. They face Australia in their first group game, giving a gentle tinge of optimism for Socceroos fans.

This is why the mid season WC was such a bad idea. Normally you finish the season and player have 4-6 weeks to rest and recuperate before going into a major tournament. This time they have about a week between last games and the WC starting.

Having said that Les Bleus have so many defenders to call on it isn't funny. Varane is always a crock anyway. The others will be able to be covered.

I say make it not his choice by calling him up to the world cup squad.

If all 7 of those miss, the 7 replacements will all be better than us anyway :D

Talent wise we're way off it, but there are a few factors that might help us close the gap on the better sides.

Mid season WC has no camp/heaps of warm-up games. Plenty of injuries and players ruled out over a month beforehand. This could bring the pack closer together.

Playing in Qatar with the AC stadiums create unique conditions. The players describe it as like playing on ceramic tile with how the ball moves. We've played there a truckload over the last few years, done counties will get their first experience of it on match day. We can be pretty tight at the back, and grab a goal from set pieces.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back