Training 2022 pre-season

Remove this Banner Ad

CALLUM Mills is still battling an Achilles injury and is no certainty to start the season, Sydney coach John Longmire has revealed.

(Longmire) "Often with these injuries you take two steps forward and one step back. That's happened a little bit over the pre-season with him."

Mills has completed parts of training but has not finished an entire session with the main squad.
"We hope to introduce him to full training sessions over the next week or two and then to develop him into competitive training work," he said.
"That's the plan but we'll be guided by how his Achilles is responding.

:sadv1:

In better news Florent & Rowbottom are a week or two (max) from returning to training.

Is AFLX a thing. I have not heard a word about it for a few years?

Both teams, us and the Giants, had low numbers going into this week – we only have 26 players and four taking part in AFLX, so it would have been challenging to field competitive teams for an intra-club match,” Longmire said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Florent played in the intraclub yesterday according to the gallery on the Swans site, which is a good sign for his fitness.

Other observations (based purely from photographs):

- Campbell looked to be on Papley, presumably as a small defender.

- Paddy looked to be playing on Buddy in one of the photos, presumably as a key defender.

- Rankin's hair is still the most majestic thing I have ever seen.

I've caught a few sessions and was struck by some of the positional changes being tried. One is JPK at half-back. I thought they might've just plonked him there to try some new things in the middle. But it could be part of a bigger move. Horse has form putting big-bodied mids back (Mills, Hewett). And it makes sense having a general to lead a pretty inexperienced group of Blakey, McInerney and Campbell, help win some contested ball then dish off to use their speed and kicking. Might be something to watch out for at the game in Albury.

I've caught a few sessions and was struck by some of the positional changes being tried. One is JPK at half-back. I thought they might've just plonked him there to try some new things in the middle. But it could be part of a bigger move. Horse has form putting big-bodied mids back (Mills, Hewett). And it makes sense having a general to lead a pretty inexperienced group of Blakey, McInerney and Campbell, help win some contested ball then dish off to use their speed and kicking. Might be something to watch out for at the game in Albury.
Interesting! With Heppell having moved to half back, Ziebell to BP and talk of Fyfe spending time there there might be something in that. Not as a permanent thing but as a rotation. Could certainly Shift JMac forward at the same time.
Don't think JPK has either the pace or agility for a permanent move but....

He has a good boot on him so maybe they are thinking of a Lloyd role?
I get the feeling they are experimenting and (I hope) skill-building. I note in one photo that Paps was telling Braeden something, looking suspiciously like coaching.
I've seen suggested by another poster that Rankin looks a good candidate for Lloyd's role. TBH I'm more worried about replacing Harry. There are more candidates for Lloyd's spot IMO.
They're about the same age so will probably finish about the same time. Both are very durable so I'm guessing Ramps might run out of gas first.

Part of me kinda hopes that we're just trying to teach Campbell some defensive skills so he can play off half back (how that's going to happen when we already have too many flankers, I have no idea...) And that we're not doing to him what we did to Lloyd by basically subjecting him to the back pocket.

I think I'd honestly prefer if we just developed Campbell as a mid/wing where he has the best chance at getting games. He is possibly the fastest and most skilled player in the team when he plays, so I'm not sure he needs to add a defensive side tbh.

Part of me kinda hopes that we're just trying to teach Campbell some defensive skills so he can play off half back (how that's going to happen when we already have too many flankers, I have no idea...) And that we're not doing to him what we did to Lloyd by basically subjecting him to the back pocket.

I think I'd honestly prefer if we just developed Campbell as a mid/wing where he has the best chance at getting games. He is possibly the fastest and most skilled player in the team when he plays, so I'm not sure he needs to add a defensive side tbh.
Horse sometimes throws plays in defence to teach them how to defend so that they can be better defensively in other parts of the ground, Hayward in 2020 probably the best example

Remove this Banner Ad

Back