Training 2022 pre-season

Remove this Banner Ad

Horse sometimes throws plays in defence to teach them how to defend so that they can be better defensively in other parts of the ground, Hayward in 2020 probably the best example

Yeah I get the logic, but some players you just don't need to bother with. I don't think Campbell needs to learn how to defend as I see him as purely an attacking player. The only reason he'd need to learn how to defend is if he's getting games as a half back, but are you dropping one of Lloyd, Blakey or McInerney for Campbell?

I've caught a few sessions and was struck by some of the positional changes being tried. One is JPK at half-back. I thought they might've just plonked him there to try some new things in the middle. But it could be part of a bigger move. Horse has form putting big-bodied mids back (Mills, Hewett). And it makes sense having a general to lead a pretty inexperienced group of Blakey, McInerney and Campbell, help win some contested ball then dish off to use their speed and kicking. Might be something to watch out for at the game in Albury.
Florent's interview on the Swans site he mentions Joey is training on the wing

Part of me kinda hopes that we're just trying to teach Campbell some defensive skills so he can play off half back (how that's going to happen when we already have too many flankers, I have no idea...) And that we're not doing to him what we did to Lloyd by basically subjecting him to the back pocket.

I think I'd honestly prefer if we just developed Campbell as a mid/wing where he has the best chance at getting games. He is possibly the fastest and most skilled player in the team when he plays, so I'm not sure he needs to add a defensive side tbh.
I'm pretty sure he's going to the mids, he'll just spend some time down back learning first...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suspect guys like Kennedy won't be playing either as at his age we don't want to be playing him in meaningless games. I imagine Sheldrick, Roberts and Warner may all get a go, and I would like to see Gould playing too, just to see what he can do.
Kennedy will play I feel, especially if we have him earmarked for a slightly different role. Nothing replaces match practice.

I suspect guys like Kennedy won't be playing either as at his age we don't want to be playing him in meaningless games. I imagine Sheldrick, Roberts and Warner may all get a go, and I would like to see Gould playing too, just to see what he can do.
I reckon JPK will play.. His main role this year might be to protect the young mids from the oppos biggest body, and to help coach / direct / organise those young mids and the midfield structure. There'll be a lot of young mids, and I reckon they'll be enjoying JPK out there.
I think in these pre-season games you can have 6-8 on the bench and infinite inter-changes, so TOG is what ever the coaches want or think is needed.
Yep, Im keen to see Gould play this year

I reckon JPK will play.. His main role this year might be to protect the young mids from the oppos biggest body, and to help coach / direct / organise those young mids and the midfield structure. There'll be a lot of young mids, and I reckon they'll be enjoying JPK out there.
I think in these pre-season games you can have 6-8 on the bench and infinite inter-changes, so TOG is what ever the coaches want or think is needed.

Does our midfield need protecting as while we have a young midfield we also have some experience heads in there.

Kennedy will play I feel, especially if we have him earmarked for a slightly different role. Nothing replaces match practice.
Pretty sure that Horse will use the games to test out:
New positions
New combinations
New players
And get match fitness for those who particularly need it.
He probably won't play the likes of Bud, Ramps or JPK unless they fit into the categories above.
Or injured players of course!
He may well give Ladhams a run at #1 ruck if Hick is in top nick and already in the Rd1 team. See how he works with the mids in a real game.
Paddy time as a KPD for sure, maybe up forward as well. Reid will be very interesting.
We'll need to be very observant!

Pretty sure that Horse will use the games to test out:
New positions
New combinations
New players
And get match fitness for those who particularly need it.
He probably won't play the likes of Bud, Ramps or JPK unless they fit into the categories above.
Or injured players of course!
He may well give Ladhams a run at #1 ruck if Hick is in top nick and already in the Rd1 team. See how he works with the mids in a real game.
Paddy time as a KPD for sure, maybe up forward as well. Reid will be very interesting.
We'll need to be very observant!
Also the GWS game might be 6 quarters with the last 2 essentially ressies.

Does our midfield need protecting as while we have a young midfield we also have some experience heads in there.
JPK, Parker....
Mills is out - from an experience perspective, Heeney can help replace him. But I reckon Heeney will still play forward a fair bit
Florent is next - but I wouldn't want to be relying on him to organise the midfield during games
Rowbum next - hes out
the rest are 1st-3rd year players
So a pretty young midfield
I can imagine JPK playing even if he plays very reduced minutes. Could/likely to be wrong, but I can see a lot of reasons why he would

There is a great pic of Paps telling Campbell, who was playing on him in match sim, something. My caption is 'DON'T BELEIVE HIM, HE JUST WANTS TO BEAT YOU' or 'I kicked 4 on Dillon Grimes mate, it doesn't get better than that'

I get the feeling they are experimenting and (I hope) skill-building. I note in one photo that Paps was telling Braeden something, looking suspiciously like coaching.
I've seen suggested by another poster that Rankin looks a good candidate for Lloyd's role. TBH I'm more worried about replacing Harry. There are more candidates for Lloyd's spot IMO.
They're about the same age so will probably finish about the same time. Both are very durable so I'm guessing Ramps might run out of gas first.

The fact Ramps is older than the other two, by 3 years, that would be about right. Replacing Rampe has been a priority and now with the two McCartins, Melican, O'Connor etc we have options. I think rampe will play HBF this year. That is where he first came to prominence as a tough, rebounding HB.

Replacing Harry is going to be hard but we do have options. But we don't have to worry for about 2-3 years yet as he is only 28. If Clarke's kicking was not so bad I'd suggest turning him into the next Harry. then again Gould could come in and play that role. He did so at SANFL level. James Bell played that role in the NEAFL. There are options and drafts to come.

In trial matches, which this is, your bench can be as big as you like as long as it is agreed to by each club. So, they might start with as many as 10 or 12 on the bench. They might not either. depends on the coaches. I remember a trial match against GWS where we had 10 bench players but some only got to play a quarter, Aliir eg.

I am hanging out to see what they are going to try in the preseason matches. The AFL says Kayo will stream the match next week but I live OS and that is no good to me. Watch AFL is not saying they will stream them, although some matches have been streamed in the past. So, I wonder where I watch it if they do not stream? Is there anyone from the club that can answer this?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back