Competitions 2022 Saints Phantom Draft Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems top heavy hey? Hurn only has one year left, Barrass and Edwards are the future. McGovern is bigger than 187cm surely. Cole, Foley and Rotham are borderline 22 atm, and Bazzo is still young. It's not the most ridiculous take, but they wouldn't need anymore tall defenders.
Jeremy McGovern is 197cm

His spud brother is shorter at 191cm

Pick 12
Western Bulldogs

Reuben Ginbey East Perth / WA

Im sneaking in and taking Ginbey ahead of the Eagles. Sounds like he has his fans inside the top 10 and most likely doesn’t last this long on draft night. Potential to eventually fill the Dunkley mid role with time also spent in defence.

BrutThough, you’re up!

Pick 13 - Elijah Hewett, Swan Districts
185cm, 84kg, MID/FWD

After taking a key defender with their first pick, Eagles go for an explosive mid/fwd in the Petrecca mould. Was a bit inconsistent this year but has the upside to be the match winning midfielder to centre this rebuild around.

Now as Melbourne.....

Pick 14 - Isaac Keeler, North Adelaide
198cm, 88kg, Ruck/FWD

With such a strong list, Melbourne will pull the trigger on Keeler to fill the Jackson void long term. While they considered Jefferson, the athleticism, speed and ball use of Keeler with his ability to play both ruck and forward put him ahead. While he is still raw, a few years developing alongside the best 2 rucks in the comp will be a luxury for Melbourne. His ability to play forward should also allow him to play alongside Grundy once Gawn retires.

L_W_P your pick.

Now as Melbourne.....

Pick 14 - Isaac Keeler, North Adelaide
198cm, 88kg, Ruck/FWD

With such a strong list, Melbourne will pull the trigger on Keeler to fill the Jackson void long term. While they considered Jefferson, the athleticism, speed and ball use of Keeler with his ability to play both ruck and forward put him ahead. While he is still raw, a few years developing alongside the best 2 rucks in the comp will be a luxury for Melbourne. His ability to play forward should also allow him to play alongside Grundy once Gawn retires.

L_W_P your pick.
I like this pick. Feels like dees would be best fit to draft him. Good project player.

There's usually a few draft bolters who work their way into the first round like Angus Sheldrick last year. I can see Keeler being picked in the teens.

I like this pick. Feels like dees would be best fit to draft him. Good project player.

There's usually a few draft bolters who work their way into the first round like Angus Sheldrick last year. I can see Keeler being picked in the teens.
Hope he pushes out to our Pick 28.. would love him as a Paddy replacement.

Hope you did well

I came out in front. Not heaps but something's better than nothing!!

After missing out on Fletch the Swans will select another tall, athletic mid in Edward Allan.

We feel as though our inside game is still as good as ever but the Grand Final showed us up for run and dare.

Allan could play on a flank as early as next year, with an eye to move into the midfield as his body adjusts to senior footy.

26/5/04
194cm/83kg
Claremont/Western Australia
Midfielder
September ranking: 28

It was a brilliant Draft Combine for Allan that reminded recruiters of his excellent athletic traits. He won the 20-metre sprint, clocking in at 2.814 seconds, came fifth in the agility (8.255 seconds) and inside the top 10 in the vertical jump (68cm). It was a fair set of results for a player of Allan's height, with the son of former Hawthorn and Fremantle star Ben a tall midfielder who can also play on the wing. A back injury ruled him out of the first half of the season before he returned and showed his form with Claremont.

Pick 17 - GWS - Matthew Jefferson, Oakleigh Chargers

This draft couldn't have gone much better for GWS. With a reliance on Hogan as an ageing key forward, the unsuccessful dabbling of a two ruck set-up through 2022, and a list cull which included handy tall timber in Stein, Sproule and Brander, the opportunity to add the innate forward nous of Jefferson to the elite talent of Cadman and take the U18 AA Forwardline Spine is a no-brainer!

SaintJunior you're up with the Pies first pick

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 17 Collingwood select Lewis Hayes - Eastern Ranges

199cm/82kg

Promising key defender , ran a 2.99 at the combine in the sprint so has great closing speed . Very good one on one.

The Swans will bid on Alwyn Davey Jnr.

joydivision22 to confirm.

Pick 17 - GWS - Matthew Jefferson, Oakleigh Chargers

This draft couldn't have gone much better for GWS. With a reliance on Hogan as an ageing key forward, the unsuccessful dabbling of a two ruck set-up through 2022, and a list cull which included handy tall timber in Stein, Sproule and Brander, the opportunity to add the innate forward nous of Jefferson to the elite talent of Cadman and take the U18 AA Forwardline Spine is a no-brainer!

SaintJunior you're up with the Pies first pick
We are running a mock draft on the Richmond board at the moment and are upto pick #26 /#27 and i am selecting for GWS
I have also gone with Cadman/Jefferson with the first 2 selections .

GWS would be ecstatic if that was the result in the real draft

We are running a mock draft on the Richmond board at the moment and are upto pick #26 /#27 and i am selecting for GWS
I have also gone with Cadman/Jefferson with the first 2 selections .

GWS would be ecstatic if that was the result in the real draft

I've not yet seen a Phantom where Jefferson gets past that pick, and in most cases he's predicted a lot earlier.

With the matched bid the Swans will move on to selecting: LACHIE COWAN

Lachie has shown he can perform at the elite level against his peers and we need to look to a future without Jake Lloyd.

Pairing Cowan with Blakey feels pretty exciting and I've got a soft spot for Tasmanians hehe

1/12/04
187cm/81kg
Tasmania Devils/Allies
Defender/midfielder
September ranking: 23

A long-kicking bigger-bodied prospect who can play off half-back or through the midfield, Cowan had a consistent season for Tasmania and the Allies. He was crowned a joint winner of the Morrish Medal in the NAB League and also was a standout for the Allies across their carnival. The left-footer placed inside the top 10 in the running vertical jump test with a leap of 83cm.

With the matched bid the Swans will move on to selecting: LACHIE COWAN

Lachie has shown he can perform at the elite level against his peers and we need to look to a future without Jake Lloyd.

Pairing Cowan with Blakey feels pretty exciting and I've got a soft spot for Tasmanians hehe

1/12/04
187cm/81kg
Tasmania Devils/Allies
Defender/midfielder
September ranking: 23

A long-kicking bigger-bodied prospect who can play off half-back or through the midfield, Cowan had a consistent season for Tasmania and the Allies. He was crowned a joint winner of the Morrish Medal in the NAB League and also was a standout for the Allies across their carnival. The left-footer placed inside the top 10 in the running vertical jump test with a leap of 83cm.
Nice get. I know people will melt if we get another HBF but the gun running ones are so crucial nowadays.

Pick 21 - GWS - Olli Hotton, Sandringham Dragons

Pick 22 - GWS - Brayden George, Murray Bushrangers

Was going to pick more positional here, but the above two fit the bill as well as being high quality talent. Hotton should fit in well in the small forward group to start but has the athletic traits, pace and skill to hopefully move further up the ground in years to come, whilst George isn't necessarily a need for the team, but is a risk well worth taking given his trajectory and sought after skillset as that big-bodied medium forward who in time could roll through the engine room.

BrutThough is next with West Coast

Pick 23 - West Coast - Mitch Szybkowski, Dandenong Stringrays
186cm, 86kg, MID

West Coast will add a contested mid here to compliment what they have already taken. Szybkowski, who has great stoppage craft and clean hands, should be to play early to help replace the current aging midfield group. While he needs to work on his outside game, there was notable improvement throughout the season with him starting to win more outside ball.

Tommy Wigs your pick.

Pick 24 - Western Bulldogs - Josh Weddle, Oakleigh Chargers

Dogs will be keen to add a tall defender and Weddle will give them plenty of flexibility given Weddle’s capability to play on multiple types.

Write up via Mr Cal Twomey:

A standout of the Draft Combine and a player who clubs will look at as a very versatile key defensive option. The Oakleigh Charger came in the top 10 for the vertical jump, running vertical jump, 20-metre sprint and 2km time trial tests to underline his athletic capabilities. It's these traits that make him appealing to clubs as a robust tall defender who can play on a number of opponents.

bird_man

Remove this Banner Ad

Back