Resource 2023 AFL Draft Discussion...

Remove this Banner Ad

We could do with a developing key defender and a developing ruck. Perfect for later picks, not top 20 picks
That pick 20 seems ideal to use on a tall in a draft with a bunch of good talls.

Wouldn't hate for 14 to be a running small defender, as we may have needs and it seems like a lot of good talent in that area.

That pick 20 seems ideal to use on a tall in a draft with a bunch of good talls.

Wouldn't hate for 14 to be a running small defender, as we may have needs and it seems like a lot of good talent in that area.

I'd split the pick into a second rounder this year and next, and consider taking a ruck with that pick (now in the 30s)

I'd split the pick into a second rounder this year and next, and consider taking a ruck with that pick (now in the 30s)
If we are keen on a ruck, then that would be a very wise play. Maybe and even better one could be to try and flip the pick 20 for an F1 with a side on the night and then look to use the Melbourne F2 to buy our way back in for a ruck..that way we get the ruck but turn the Melbourne F2 into an F1 to pair with our F1

It can be a bad selection AND it could be heavily contributed to by his mental health.

There have been plenty of key talls with McAsey's athleticism who have succeeded. He just wasn't one. And the risk he wasn't should have been built into the price that was paid, which is why that pick was too much.

I also think that "everyone believes something" and "everyone except Wayne believes something" is kind of the same thing ...
His mental health could have suffered because of not being able to make it, especially being a high pick and the pressure that came along with it.

Plenty of key talls with McAseys athleticism have been successful, I dispute that in the modern era. Talia was quicker and more mobile plus he was a gun footballer. That’s how slow McAsey was.

Wayne talks about not watching McAsey closely, well I’ve seen him live, how many times has Wayne? That very first trial game against Port I was there and me and my mates first reaction was gees he’s slow and we were hoping like hell we had a gun KPD on our hands so we were rooting for him.

I saw him live in a SANFL game against Norwood and I saw the slow Norwood defender run off him easily.

He just didn’t have the speed or mobility to make it and to use that high a pick on him was madness, especially when his junior coach since came out and said it was a surprise given footy wasn’t his priority.

Anyway I’ll leave the McAsey discussion alone, it’s the thread for 2023 draft and hopefully there’s no one of his ilk we would consider drsfting.

Not a bad idea

I’m a big one on Goad and feel as a home grown he is worth the long term investment that comes with drafting a raw 18 yo ruck
I'm also on the Goad bandwagon. Love his athletic traits, and would be a good fit IMO too. He could sit and develop under ROB and TT for 1-2 seasons.

TBH if we had to use pick 20 to get him i'd not be that upset. I'd be happy we finally invested in the future of the position.

I’m not sure how many of the rucks will actually be there in the 30’s

Maybe you trade into the mid to late 20’s (which will be a 30’s pick anyway) and get an F3?

Imagine this happening on draft night

ADELAIDE CROWS:

Picks: 10, 14, 20, 89

What they will need to accomplish:

There are two schools of thought here. The Crows are well equipped to move up on draft night if a team is willing to give them one of the blue-chip prospects in the draft, and they’ll certainly try. If they can’t move up, however, then they still hold three picks in the top 20 (before bids push one down).

The Crows, should they trade, would likely trade to Geelong. If a midfielder like Ryley Sanders were to slide to #8 then I’d be doing a trade here. However, Sanders is unlikely to be sliding past the Hawks or Demons, so trading for someone like Nate Caddy (the most likely to get to Geelong of the top prospects) makes no sense given the team has the exciting Tyler Welsh as a potential #1 overall pick in 2024 (father/son selection).

The Crows have to address two areas in the midfield and key defender. They lost Tom Doedee to the Lions while failing to lure Harrison Petty from the Demons, while their midfield brigade needs to begin to find the next generation to replace Matt Crouch, Rory Laird and Rory Sloane in the coming years. If teams look elsewhere ahead of them, they may not even need to trade up to match these needs with Connor O’Sullivan and Darcy Wilson.

One is a key position utility and the other is a midfielder, but the Murray Bushrangers duo both are hard runners with a lot in the tank. They make a lot of sense for the Crows, who just need a small push to get to September action. Pick #20 will serve as almost like a free hit for the Crows, who could look to Riley Hardeman as a rebounding defender/winger who can fit both roles for the Crows in the future too.

#10: Connor O’Sullivan, Defender/Forward, Murray Bushrangers, 198cm/92kg
#14: Darcy Wilson, Midfield, Murray Bushrangers, 185cm/73kg
#20: Riley Hardeman, Defender/Midfield, Swan Districts, 188cm/80kg
#89: Pass

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm also on the Goad bandwagon. Love his athletic traits, and would be a good fit IMO too. He could sit and develop under ROB and TT for 1-2 seasons.

TBH if we had to use pick 20 to get him i'd not be that upset. I'd be happy we finally invested in the future of the position.
He’s that raw he’d prob debut in 3 years time but being a home grown he’d be in right environment to work on his craft

I feel for kids that move interstate and have a long 3-4 yr grind before debut , breaks many of them

Yeah, the pick will inevitably be around 25, which doesn't seem like an overspend.

Imagine this happening on draft night

ADELAIDE CROWS:

Picks: 10, 14, 20, 89

What they will need to accomplish:

There are two schools of thought here. The Crows are well equipped to move up on draft night if a team is willing to give them one of the blue-chip prospects in the draft, and they’ll certainly try. If they can’t move up, however, then they still hold three picks in the top 20 (before bids push one down).

The Crows, should they trade, would likely trade to Geelong. If a midfielder like Ryley Sanders were to slide to #8 then I’d be doing a trade here. However, Sanders is unlikely to be sliding past the Hawks or Demons, so trading for someone like Nate Caddy (the most likely to get to Geelong of the top prospects) makes no sense given the team has the exciting Tyler Welsh as a potential #1 overall pick in 2024 (father/son selection).

The Crows have to address two areas in the midfield and key defender. They lost Tom Doedee to the Lions while failing to lure Harrison Petty from the Demons, while their midfield brigade needs to begin to find the next generation to replace Matt Crouch, Rory Laird and Rory Sloane in the coming years. If teams look elsewhere ahead of them, they may not even need to trade up to match these needs with Connor O’Sullivan and Darcy Wilson.

One is a key position utility and the other is a midfielder, but the Murray Bushrangers duo both are hard runners with a lot in the tank. They make a lot of sense for the Crows, who just need a small push to get to September action. Pick #20 will serve as almost like a free hit for the Crows, who could look to Riley Hardeman as a rebounding defender/winger who can fit both roles for the Crows in the future too.

#10: Connor O’Sullivan, Defender/Forward, Murray Bushrangers, 198cm/92kg
#14: Darcy Wilson, Midfield, Murray Bushrangers, 185cm/73kg
#20: Riley Hardeman, Defender/Midfield, Swan Districts, 188cm/80kg
#89: Pass
That would be great

I also hope we take him at 20.
A real big guy with pace and who can jump and has loads of potential.
And I think as rucks take a few years to develop, much better to have a local lad that can bide his time at home.
If he doesn't work out in the ruck, we could always try him at Full Back

Anyway I’ll leave the McAsey discussion alone, it’s the thread for 2023 draft and hopefully there’s no one of his ilk we would consider drsfting.
Yep but I definitely think it’s silly to rule out taking key backs early

Risk losing guys like Sam Taylor and Aaron Naughton and picking more vanilla players

I think the key learning from Mcasey was don’t draft on needs early , speed/ agility is important and no 1 is the players mental side / resilience to make it

Who you taking with top 20 picks then ?

Yeah I don't get this thinking. We have 3 top 20 picks. Need a mid and tall KPPs.

Just take the best available player at 10. If that's a mid at 10 grab talls at 14 & 20. If it's a tall at 10, grab a mid at 14 and a tall at 20.

I hate the idea that we should just magically find quality KPPs down the draft. It's possible, but if there's a KPP that the club rates highly then take them. Just don't go full McCasey again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back