Resource 2023 AFL Draft Discussion...

Remove this Banner Ad

Imagine this happening on draft night

ADELAIDE CROWS:

Picks: 10, 14, 20, 89

What they will need to accomplish:

There are two schools of thought here. The Crows are well equipped to move up on draft night if a team is willing to give them one of the blue-chip prospects in the draft, and they’ll certainly try. If they can’t move up, however, then they still hold three picks in the top 20 (before bids push one down).

The Crows, should they trade, would likely trade to Geelong. If a midfielder like Ryley Sanders were to slide to #8 then I’d be doing a trade here. However, Sanders is unlikely to be sliding past the Hawks or Demons, so trading for someone like Nate Caddy (the most likely to get to Geelong of the top prospects) makes no sense given the team has the exciting Tyler Welsh as a potential #1 overall pick in 2024 (father/son selection).

The Crows have to address two areas in the midfield and key defender. They lost Tom Doedee to the Lions while failing to lure Harrison Petty from the Demons, while their midfield brigade needs to begin to find the next generation to replace Matt Crouch, Rory Laird and Rory Sloane in the coming years. If teams look elsewhere ahead of them, they may not even need to trade up to match these needs with Connor O’Sullivan and Darcy Wilson.

One is a key position utility and the other is a midfielder, but the Murray Bushrangers duo both are hard runners with a lot in the tank. They make a lot of sense for the Crows, who just need a small push to get to September action. Pick #20 will serve as almost like a free hit for the Crows, who could look to Riley Hardeman as a rebounding defender/winger who can fit both roles for the Crows in the future too.

#10: Connor O’Sullivan, Defender/Forward, Murray Bushrangers, 198cm/92kg
#14: Darcy Wilson, Midfield, Murray Bushrangers, 185cm/73kg
#20: Riley Hardeman, Defender/Midfield, Swan Districts, 188cm/80kg
#89: Pass
My personal perfect draft is O'Sullivan slides to our 10, Wilson 14, Goad 20
We delist 2 players before draft night and trade in late to get Moir...

Thunderstruck

Has us taking Wilson #10 and Harry DeMattia #14 in the Big Footy 2023 draft thread :hearteyes:

I have an inkling I may not be quite so keen on his next pick.

Haha sorry mate, but it was closer than you think but in the end I just had to take a damn ruck being my last pick. I reality, maybe not but Pick 24 in this draft is probably more like a 30+ in some others. Goad, Tholstrup and McAuliffe all inside my top 25 power ranks.

My personal perfect draft is O'Sullivan slides to our 10, Wilson 14, Goad 20
We delist 2 players before draft night and trade in late to get Moir...

Agreed but it just doesn't sound realistic with Geelong, Essendon, GWS and Adelaide all into similar players.

I think the only way this happens is if we can retain 10 and trade up to 8 on draft night.

Eg.

8: O'Sullivan
10: Wilson

To convince Geelong the offer would have to be pretty damn good.
14, 20 + F2 or something.

Haha sorry mate, but it was closer than you think but in the end I just had to take a damn ruck being my last pick. I reality, maybe not but Pick 24 in this draft is probably more like a 30+ in some others. Goad, Tholstrup and McAuliffe all inside my top 25 power ranks.
Would love to see your rankings at some point mate :)

I hope o'sullivan is gone by our pick so hamish can't pick him.

If we trade up and pick him then hamish is officially cooked. His stupidity picking mcasey has already hurt us.
McAsey and Gallucci were the same mistakes. We reahced for needs when we should have gone best available (Young/ Serong and English).

If O'Sullivan is best available, which he looks to be at 8 (before academy), why go for this year's Gallucci?

Goad of course ..

I'm wondering if we go a tall at that point not necessarily a ruck if Archer Reid might not be a bad option as that does now seem to be out where. his range could be?
I don't mind him. Inconsistent, but his best is pretty good. Forward ruck to pair with TT in a Tex/ ROB replacement play in a few years time.

(Noting I don't think you need a dominant ruck to contend)

Looked fairly capable in ruck later in the season considering according to the lad himself he'd never rucked before which I found really surprising given his size so you would think there's a heap of upside in that area of his game. Almost impossible to stop from marking it on the lead with his sticky hands and reach too re his forward craft.
There was a knock that he had patches where he didn't kick goals. But if that was because he was spending significant time/ effort rucking, probably not much of an issue.

I don't particularly care what pick Kane goes at in the draft but I'll contend he'll be one of the better midfielders to come out of the 2023 draft. Opinions be like..

And I know for a fact Adelaide have shown plenty of interest throughout the year backed up by Tony Bamford in his recent interview with Kym Dillon and Rucci on the show. pick 20 if we retain it would not be a stretch if we want him.

bigman
Any chance we could split pick 20 and get both Goad and McAuliffe?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goad of course ..

I'm wondering if we go a tall at that point not necessarily a ruck if Archer Reid might not be a bad option as that does now seem to be out where. his range could be?
I really like Archer Reid as an option for us at 20, but does he get past North if they retain all their picks? They need a variety of players, in particular talls at that point. He would be a good option for them.

Pleased to hear he played some ruck late in the season. From what I've seen, marks the ball cleanly and prepared to crash a pack.

Has anyone seen Reid play back? If so, how did he go? He looks to have the attributes to excel in that role.

Nope don't have the list spots for either currently if you're talking pick 20. Would have to delist 2 players wouldn't we?

Well bin Hamill for a start if we need a further list spot. I reckon he has very little left to offer nor scope for improvement. Would rather open up the spot to refresh with types like Goad and McAuliffe.

Any chance we could split pick 20 and get both Goad and McAuliffe?
I wonder if we can split pick 14 for a later pick in the 20's and a late 2nd/3rd round pick next year.
That way we could go:

Pick 10: one of the mids we have identified
Pick 20: Moir
Pick 28 (ish): Goad
+extra points for next year

I still think Moir has it. He's just freakishly talented.

I wonder if we can split pick 14 for a later pick in the 20's and a late 2nd/3rd round pick next year.
That way we could go:

You seem to suffer from the bigotry of low expectation.

On draft night, if a side comes for pick 14, its not going for a late 20's pick and maybe a F3...It will be garnering a much better return than that

That way we could go:

Which mid at 10 ?

That’s alot of SA blokes given its one of the worst SA years ever

Do like Goad though

Looked fairly capable in ruck later in the season considering according to the lad himself he'd never rucked before which I found really surprising given his size so you would think there's a heap of upside in that area of his game. Almost impossible to stop from marking it on the lead with his sticky hands and reach too re his forward craft.
Isn't Goad a basketball convert ....2023 being his first year of playing footy IIRC .....hence why he hasn't rucked

Yeah you'd at least want Geelong's 28 and F2 for 14.

Frankly, I'd want a F1 ...
For 14? I'd be wanting a drop back of only 2-4 places with a good F2 added in. Alternatively, I would accept a pick in the 30's or 40's this year and an F1 from a side..Pick 14 ain't being traded down for chump change. I'd be looking at 2 very good 2nds for pick 20 on the night (ie one this year and one next)..otherwise, we use the pick ourselves.

Which mid at 10 ?

That’s alot of SA blokes given its one of the worst SA years ever

Do like Goad though
My gut says, we'll take best available at #10 .....a tall / Ruck at #14, given that's likely to be the area to get the pick of the crop .....and maybe a Moir at #20, or another project type

I'll be surprised if we take Demattia

My gut says, we'll take best available at #10 .....a tall / Ruck at #14, given that's likely to be the area to get the pick of the crop .....and maybe a Moir at #20, or another project type

I'll be surprised if we take Demattia
I like Demattia.

Any chance of McAuliffe being available as a rookie?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back