33-45 sounds about right … prob only 55 to be taken max
My ideal draft (as a complete non-expert) would be to get:

10 - Connor O'Sullivan
14 - Darcy Wilson
20 - Harry DeMattia

later: Goad, McAuliffe and Moir

SSP rookie spot for Arlo Draper

Just need to delist 5 more blokes...

For 14? I'd be wanting a drop back of only 2-4 places with a good F2 added in. Alternatively, I would accept a pick in the 30's or 40's this year and an F1 from a side..Pick 14 ain't being traded down for chump change. I'd be looking at 2 very good 2nds for pick 20 on the night (ie one this year and one next)..otherwise, we use the pick ourselves.
Yeah, I agree with all of that.

I don't HATE trading 14 for a F1 and trading 20 for two 2023 2nds?

Brisbane's 30 and 39 would become 27 and 33.

Would we do that?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn't Goad a basketball convert ....2023 being his first year of playing footy IIRC .....hence why he hasn't rucked
A basketball guy that even in basketball terms came from nowhere. Was unheard of through U16 and wasn't until U18's that he made a mark at Div 1 level. Even then, was never in a State team etc...

Which mid at 10 ?

That’s alot of SA blokes given its one of the worst SA years ever

Do like Goad though
Not sure really. Hard to know what we value. There are a few we have been linked to.

2 is not a lot - especially if they have talent and upside.
Moir has talent. No doubt. His year was pretty poor really, hence he has slid down enough to be considered in the 20's.
Goad has the size, mobility and upside that is worth looking at.
I'd be happy with both.

I suspect we will only use two draft picks though.

Neither would I but he's more an outside mid than an inside mid at this point in time though he's looked OK for the Murray Bushrangers when played on ball on occassions. He's the guy you want patrolling the wing/half forward with his speed, absolute elite endurance and agility, booming kick and a regular goalkicker.
Good.. grab him..

He can take murphys spot in the 22..

Cue the thumbs down from Mutineer..

A basketball guy that even in basketball terms came from nowhere. Was unheard of through U16 and wasn't until U18's that he made a mark at Div 1 level. Even then, was never in a State team etc...
It's not unusual for that to happen .....I wonder if Goad is one of those late growth spurt talls, similar to English

Not sure really. Hard to know what we value. There are a few we have been linked to.

2 is not a lot - especially if they have talent and upside.
Moir has talent. No doubt. His year was pretty poor really, hence he has slid down enough to be considered in the 20's.
Goad has the size, mobility and upside that is worth looking at.
I'd be happy with both.

I suspect we will only use two draft picks though.
But why ? .....I mean in any year, you're likely to get a good pick in the mid-20's .....why so dismissive of the pick as if it's a 50's pick ?

Neither would I but he's more an outside mid than an inside mid at this point in time though he's looked OK for the Murray Bushrangers when played on ball on occassions. He's the guy you want patrolling the wing/half forward with his speed, absolute elite endurance and agility, booming kick and a regular goalkicker.
What I like about him is he played well against the men in those Australia academy games this year

Always a challenge for an outside type to see if game stands up against bigger more competitive bodies . Shows he’s got enough tricks and athleticism to make it

Brisbane's 30 and 39 would become 27 and 33.

Would we do that?
Why would you label 30 and 39 as becoming 27 and 34? Yes, I get that they come in because of Gold Coast's picks being eaten, but they're being eaten in bids... for players who will push those picks back out. Realistically, there's a minimum of 5 bids coming before 30 and 39, as well as our 20 (three GCS academy, Hawthorn and WB F/S). There's a couple of other academy players floating around (SYD and GCS), both of which could come before their picks.

So if we label them correctly, taking into account both the players being bid on and the picks being eaten, it's our 25 for - at best - their 32 and 39 (and at worst, 34 and 41).

Putting that into the pick value calculator, it favours us by a bit. And if all the claims that the draft pool is quite even beyond a certain point, then that could be worth our while (providing we can delist enough players to create the list spots). If we got McAuliffe and a project ruck out of it, that'd probably be good value.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back