Resource 2023 AFL Draft Discussion...

Remove this Banner Ad

Hope you don't mind the intrusion, taken you guys in our mock draft so reading up on some wants/needs

Ive been a big advocate ion trying to trade into the future. If we split 9 with you guys, some on our board seem to suggest 14 + 20 + F2 fir 9 + 31 could be a goer.
31 isn't a worth anything to us, though. We'd have to delist / re-rookie a player to use that third pick, and if we're going to do that, it might as well be to use pick 20.

Edit: OK, unless we trade 31 for an F pick. Might be hard to find a buyer, though.

Last edited:

Hope you don't mind the intrusion, taken you guys in our mock draft so reading up on some wants/needs

Ive been a big advocate ion trying to trade into the future. If we split 9 with you guys, some on our board seem to suggest 14 + 20 + F2 fir 9 + 31 could be a goer.
Hi. I agree we would need to really sweeten the deal but 9 for 14 + 20 + f2 (not even considering pick 31 here as if it happened its a bonus for us) if the players we really want at 9 & 10 are there is around the mark for what i wpuld give up if essendon were open to it.

Who would you guys be looking at in the 14 & 20 range?

Being an outside midfielder, the last place you would want to be drafted to is Adelaide.
Wilson wont be playing round 1 if he gets to Adelaide until he puts on another 7kg from his listed 75kg.
Our wingman need to run through brick walls before they will get a look in.
Hes put on 10 kg in the last 12 months so doesnt have an issue with putting it on.

Unlikely but depends if there was a slider on the night

31 isn't a worth anything to us, though. We'd have to delist / re-rookie a player to use that third pick, and if we're going to do that, it might as well be to use pick 20.

Edit: OK, unless we trade 31 for an F pick. Might be hard to find a buyer, though.
But it’s the same amount of picks we currently have isn’t it? Instead of 10,14 and 20 we have 9,10 and 31 This year. 31 for Moir or Goad.

Losing a F2 (Dees ideally) ain’t worth that much - pick 35-40. Welsh will be fine points wise assuming he lands after pick 10. Either way next year is where we sell our first rounder (say pick 9) and a F1 to try and get a top 3-5 pick and get Draper.

I would be tempted and having 2 picks back to back at 9/10 (where quality then starts to reportedly fall off) is also an understated advantage

It’s just something ive been pretty strong on (trading into future &/or splitting picks). If I could snare a F1 and a teens pick that would be a brilliant deal for us imho.
very unlikely be a F1 for us to move up and get 9. We will be using our 2024 and 2025 firsts to chase a top 3/4 pick next year

But it’s the same amount of picks we currently have isn’t it? Instead of 10,14 and 20 we have 9,10 and 31 This year. 31 for Moir or Goad.

Losing a F2 (Dees ideally) ain’t worth that much - pick 35-40. Welsh will be fine points wise assuming he lands after pick 10. Either way next year is where we sell our first rounder (say pick 9) and a F1 to try and get a top 3-5 pick and get Draper.

I would be tempted and having 2 picks back to back at 9/10 (where quality then starts to reportedly fall off) is also an understated advantage
All of this seems unlikely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not sure why the F2 would be a dealbreaker, I’d just turn 31 into a different F2

IF you can get O’Sullivan and Wilson with our first two picks IMO it’s a no brainer
Will it get them both? It assumes Caddy and Leake are both taken before Pick 9. Wonder if Goad is still around at 31? Or at the very least, Archer Reid?

Having picks 9 and 10 no chance.

Getting a team to trade a top 3 pick for pick 12 (finals) and a future first (15?).
Ok let’s agree to disagree. On the balance of probabilities you are probably right but IMO pick 14, 20 and F2 is not a ridiculous possibility by any means for pick 9 and a pick in the 30’s. Depends if Bombers have their main target still available at 9 or if the next ranked players is likely to slide (eg Rendell rated Danger as second best prospect in 2007, after Cotchin, but expected him to still be available at 10. All clubs see things differently.

Won’t have to wait too long to find out, cheers

Greetings Croweaters!
Excuse the intrusion, I cum in peas.

I drew the Crows for the WCE mock draft so posting here who I went for. I must say most of my research came from a quick glance at this thread to get a general feel for your list needs and where you think you might have players falling. I think the first pick of Wilson would be welcome and also most likley to occur. I suspect Shoenmakers and Goad are also on your radar (especially the local boy Goad) but both are probably a slight reach so wouldnt surprise if Crows try to trade down to gain an extra pick later to try and grab a local slider like Moir or McAuliffe.

Anyway, would welcome your feedback. Below is the draft order so you can see who I had to choose from and who was already gone.

1. West Coast - Harley Reid
2. Gold Coast - Jed Walter (Matched bid)
3. North Melbourne - Colby McKercher
4. North Melbourne - Zane Duursma
5. Hawthorn - Connor O’Sullivan
6. Western Bulldogs - Ryley Sanders
7. Melbourne - Daniel Curtin
8. Gold Coast - Ethan Read (Matched bid)
9. GWS - Nick Watson
10. Western Bulldogs - Jordan Croft (Matched bid)
11. Gold Coast - Jake Rogers (Matched bid)
12. Geelong - Nate Caddy
13. Essendon - Ollie Murphy
14. Adelaide - Darcy Wilson
15. Melbourne - James Leake
16. Hawthorn- Will McCabe (Matched bid)
17. Sydney - Archer Reid
18. St Kilda - Caleb Windsor
19. Adelaide - Arie Schoenmaker
20. North Melbourne - Will Green
21. GWS - Harry DeMattia
22. North Melbourne - Lance Collard
23. North Melbourne - Riley Hardeman
24. Collingwood - Charlie Edwards
25. Adelaide - Taylor Goad
26. St Kilda - Ashton Moir
27. Carlton - Koltyn Tholstrup

Greetings Croweaters!
Excuse the intrusion, I cum in peas.

I drew the Crows for the WCE mock draft so posting here who I went for. I must say most of my research came from a quick glance at this thread to get a general feel for your list needs and where you think you might have players falling. I think the first pick of Wilson would be welcome and also most likley to occur. I suspect Shoenmakers and Goad are also on your radar (especially the local boy Goad) but both are probably a slight reach so wouldnt surprise if Crows try to trade down to gain an extra pick later to try and grab a local slider like Moir or McAuliffe.

Anyway, would welcome your feedback. Below is the draft order so you can see who I had to choose from and who was already gone.

1. West Coast - Harley Reid
2. Gold Coast - Jed Walter (Matched bid)
3. North Melbourne - Colby McKercher
4. North Melbourne - Zane Duursma
5. Hawthorn - Connor O’Sullivan
6. Western Bulldogs - Ryley Sanders
7. Melbourne - Daniel Curtin
8. Gold Coast - Ethan Read (Matched bid)
9. GWS - Nick Watson
10. Western Bulldogs - Jordan Croft (Matched bid)
11. Gold Coast - Jake Rogers (Matched bid)
12. Geelong - Nate Caddy
13. Essendon - Ollie Murphy
14. Adelaide - Darcy Wilson
15. Melbourne - James Leake
16. Hawthorn- Will McCabe (Matched bid)
17. Sydney - Archer Reid
18. St Kilda - Caleb Windsor
19. Adelaide - Arie Schoenmaker
20. North Melbourne - Will Green
21. GWS - Harry DeMattia
22. North Melbourne - Lance Collard
23. North Melbourne - Riley Hardeman
24. Collingwood - Charlie Edwards
25. Adelaide - Taylor Goad
26. St Kilda - Ashton Moir
27. Carlton - Koltyn Tholstrup
Swap Schoenmaker with DeMattia and I think most of this board will be happy with that

If we keep 10, and Wilson and O’Sullivan are both gone, who do we draft?
Good question and one I have been wondering.

Reid
mcKerchner
Duursma
Watson
Curtin
Sanders
O’Sullivan
Caddy
Wilson

Wouldn’t be a total surprise as the top 9

that assumes no Leake or Windsor jumping into top 9. Ideally we don’t really need Caddy as much so not sure we want him to be the slider at 10.

Who would be then take at 10? Perhaps Windsor as fills outside runner type need

Having picks 9 and 10 no chance.

Getting a team to trade a top 3 pick for pick 12 (finals) and a future first (15?).
Whether it's likely or not isn't relevant though, that's the trade the Essendon fan came up with. 9 and 31 for 14, 20 and Melbourne's F2 isn't that far out of the realms of possibility.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back