Resource 2023 AFL Draft Discussion...

Remove this Banner Ad

Not happening unless something comes back for 2023 otherwise making the 3 vacant list spots was an exercise in futility.
Seems pretty obvious we see at least 3 players we value highly being available in this draft without worrying about next year.
What's wrong with having an open list spot with a mid season trading period?

But yes I agree, does seem strange. A late Freo pick coming back would make some sense.

We have 3 picks in the 11 to 30 range (after likely academy selection). If we wanted to pick up a speculative pick like Goad or Moir, we should be able to trade down and still take them. But, historically, this would give us half the chance of getting a champion compared with picking the best available in our range.
The way I read your numbers anything from 11-30 is about the same prospect. So shuffling down 14 or 20 to something still before 30 would not make much difference? Again, just using your numbers.

Out of contract. Cry me a river StK.
Don't get me wrong, I'd bite your hand off if that was the deal to get it done...BUT, they see him as THE guy they will look to build their midfield around going forward..I'd guess they would rather let him walk to the draft than take a 2nd rounder OOC. To me, Petty and O'Sullivan are 2nd and 3rd choice options. Getting an A grade mid is number 1 by the length of the Flemington straight and as such, thats where I am directing all my primary draft capital (either Trade or draft)

What I love is people who inject themselves into a discussion and ignore how it actually started.

Moystn started it by saying all those with tears about our list management, “see nothing to worry about, it all worked out”

Now I could either let a goading post like that go or I respond with how that’s his opinion well actually the clubs opinion.

Now I could have said nothing and let it go, just like you could have said nothing and let my post go. It’s how a discussion board goes.

If you don’t like my opinion I don’t give a *, it would mean I’d have to rate yours to begin with.

But I will find it interesting for all those who are happy with keeping Sloane and having no list flexibility, will they say anything if there are some decent sliders past pick 20 that we can’t have a crack at.
So what you are saying is that this is Moystn's fault for saying that Hamill would probably end up being rookied and to stop with the Sloane debate, and then it turns out he was right?

What I enjoy is that when you are challenged you claim that I've got the wrong end of the stick, as if I need background on what is a public forum.

Don't get me wrong, I'd bite your hand off if that was the deal to get it done...BUT, they see him as THE guy they will look to build their midfield around going forward..I'd guess they would rather let him walk to the draft than take a 2nd rounder OOC. To me, Petty and O'Sullivan are 2nd and 3rd choice options. Getting an A grade mid is number 1 by the length of the Flemington straight and as such, thats where I am directing all my primary draft capital (either Trade or draft)

All I'm saying is the options in 2024 look pretty damn good for what we want to achieve. We currently have 2 First Rounders (2024/2025) and 3 second rounders (2024/2024/2025) that we can dispose of. I think bringing in Petty and an out of contract 2nd year player is very realistic.

This has the same feel as the Gibbs trade. We weren't able to get the deal done first up, but will get it done a year later. Especially as Petty is a free agent the following year.
Yep ...you can pretty much take the Petty trade to the Crows to the bank .....the foundations were laid this trade period

However ....we have a list of 42/43 players ....so who we Draft shouldn't be influenced by who is currently best 22

IMO though, we'll still be taking running players,and a Ruck

Totally agree with this sentiment. Great for filling injury holes up forward and down back. Excess talls also allow us to play the swing men in their optimal position.

Plus with Tex reaching the end I like the idea of Petty playing forward and O'Sullivan down back, or the two of them swinging between the two positions.
I think you'll find Petty is a more natural defender ......his move fwd was an act of desperation by MELB .....a last man standing hail mary

You're the only one on mcaulliffe .....even your experts have said he hasn't progressed since juniors

That's the problem of putting too much credence in U16 form .....it's a nonsense

Yeah, no way Rossy let's Mattaes go for a 2nd round pick this early on whether uncontracted or not.

All the recent high end talent traded excluding the elite guys in JHF, Rankine and Taranto have been traded for the following:

Hollands (Pick 7) - free (drugs)
Bruhn (Pick 12) - Pick 18
D Stephens (Pick 5) - essentially free
Henry (Pick 7) - Future Second Round pick
Caldwell (Pick 11) - Pick 29 (essentially)
Coffield (Pick 8) - Pick 40
Paddy Dow (Pick 3) - Pick 49
Bowes (Pick 10) - They gave away a top 10 pick to dispose of him
Petrovski Seton (Pick 6) - Pick 52

Phillipou (Pick 10) - ?

I think a range of 16-23 is about right when uncontracted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where has that been reported about the mid season trade period?

Cal Twomey confirmed that it is almost certainty, just working through the finer details (eg. who can be traded). If you google it also you can see articles on it.

All the recent high end talent traded excluding the elite guys in JHF, Rankine and Taranto have been traded for the following:

Phillipou (Pick 10) - ?

You’ve included some pretty crap footballers in that lot

Phillipou (Pick 10) - ?

The strategy IF Phillipou wanted to come home and we wanted Petty too is in my mind to offer our 24 1st and one likely one of our 24 2nds for Phillipou. Petty - our 25 1st and maybe a 24 2nd if needed. I don't think we'd get them for less but if possible, great.

If we ended up with Phillipou and Petty next year and had only a 24 2nd at the draft as a meaningful pick, I'd be over the moon

Justin Reid didn't seem to enthusiastic on Sensible Crow's podcast re drafting a ruck at this point which surprised me somewhat given there looks to be at least a half a dozen with draftable attributes.

54.26 mark of the podcast.

TBF ....the Crows never reveal their Draft Strategy ....so not mentioning a Ruck is fine

You can almost guarantee it won't be players they have mentioned

The way I read your numbers anything from 11-30 is about the same prospect. So shuffling down 14 or 20 to something still before 30 would not make much difference? Again, just using your numbers.
Our 3rd pick will be 25ish and I think it will be the end of tier 3. Always hard to tell until a few years down the track, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a big gap between the tier 3 and 4 success rate down the track.

If we did pick up O'Sullivan and he looked the real deal, I'm not sure we even make the play for Petty next trade period. Especially if a midfield trade target materialised.

At that point we would have Murray back healthy, as well as Butts, O'Sullivan and Keane as key backs with support from Worrell. I'd totally be fine rolling with that.

It's why I think MFC really missed their window to cash in on Petty. Next season his trade value may be half what it was this year. This year KPD were astronomically overvalued, and I just don't see that happening twice in 2 years.
I think Melbourne have also cost Petty some money in regards to his salary. Our offer this year will likely be reduced next year as he will be one year closer to being out of contract. I am sure he will still get decent coin but still over 5 years would add up.

Not that Melbourne would really care too much, but Petty would be annoyed.

Phillipou (Pick 10) - ?

Phillipou has blown all these guys out of the water on first year performance, none of them have gone near him since either.

There are 2 types of first rounders - those who succeed and those who don't.

St Kilda wants at least money back, which is pick 10, plus a bonus because he's worth more than a pick 10 given the success rate of a pick 10 is 50:50 (I've seen that pick 10 is one of the worst actually).

Adelaide's 1st 2024 + a future 1st is what they will ask.

You still going on about Sloane.

Guess what, the club and many people here don't think a rookie in 2024 is worth more than Sloane in 2024.

You can group me and others as 'apologists' in your attempt to influence the group think to your narrow perspective - it doesn't change anything.

You keep trying to make it a debate, you're not going to convince anyone who disagrees with you (you don't present as rational about Sloane).

Look you may even be right, but honestly, the rookie isn't going to make a difference. A delisted player? You have to be joking.

Remember everyone lost their minds we didn't draft Carmichael? Who cares, he's not the difference. Who cares if he's still on a list playing VFL and Turners back at Glenelg? No one, because neither are best 22.

3 first round picks and a Cat B rookie is a great result this off season.
The problem with this thibking is that Hamish O has proven many times that he is very, very good at picking diamonds in the rough that is late ND picks and rookie draft picks..

How many times have we not given him this chance, and thus, how many opportunities have we forgone by keeping a Sloane on the list for one more season or a Davis on the list for 7 bloody seasons for a return of about 12 games or a guy like Scott Thompson on for a retirement year..

We see it so often with this club being seemingly unable to make the hard decisions and all those have opportunity costs to them..

If anyone here is in anyway thinking the Sloane decision isnt a monumentally stupid one.. they need to give themselves an uppercut.

Wouldn't read too much into that, I know one SA draftee we've interviewed multiple times both this season and last and very very recently and he''s not being spoken of in the 1st round, more late 2nd/3rd round. Arie Schoenmaker said in a radio interview yesterday we've interviewed him a couple of times recently too.
Moir?..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back