Resource 2023 AFL Draft Discussion...

Remove this Banner Ad

Wouldn't read too much into that, I know one SA draftee we've interviewed multiple times both this season and last and very very recently and he''s not being spoken of in the 1st round, more late 2nd/3rd round. Arie Schoenmaker said in a radio interview yesterday we've interviewed him a couple of times recently too.
Reality is we’d probably interview many players multiple times

What will be telling is who’s linked to us in the lead-up, by Twomey, Landsberger etc

I’d be very happy if we did decide to go down the Sanchez route, though

Time will tell I guess, not that it matters because I think the only one we are a very slight chance of getting a crack at is Daniel Curtin and personally I'm not trading up for Sanders even if it's only one spot for what it would cost.
Yep there’s a reason why we won’t get a crack at any of that top end , clubs rightly rate them too highly

Reality is we’d probably interview many players multiple times

What will be telling is who’s linked to us in the lead-up, by Twomey, Landsberger etc

I’d be very happy if we did decide to go down the Sanchez route, though
Exactly

SA clubs would interview any SA kids they rate even if they no intention of picking them at the picks we have as it’s important for future relationships

As soon as they are drafted interstate they will be tracked , all the way until they are ultimately delisted

Im on him as well WW. Look at the SA vs Vic Country game
That was his best game , I think he’s a B grader . A hard worker with some nice athletic traits

I strongly doubt he goes top 25

The SA boys were very poor this year , they went much better when they had all their bottom agers playing together - Welsh , Hargrave and Draper . These guys were their best players

Other than the Vic C game their midfield got flogged

The problem with this thibking is that Hamish O has proven many times that he is very, very good at picking diamonds in the rough that is late ND picks and rookie draft picks..

How many times have we not given him this chance, and thus, how many opportunities have we forgone by keeping a Sloane on the list for one more season or a Davis on the list for 7 bloody seasons for a return of about 12 games or a guy like Scott Thompson on for a retirement year..

We see it so often with this club being seemingly unable to make the hard decisions and all those have opportunity costs to them..

If anyone here is in anyway thinking the Sloane decision isnt a monumentally stupid one.. they need to give themselves an uppercut.
I get that, all true except it's done, the club clearly rates his experience as worth something, whether around the track or on game day. For all the arguments, nobody can put a value on this, but that's what the club has done.

We will pick up 5 players this off season, 3 first rounders, a rookie (cat B if - he's any good) and Burgess (I forgot him before). Time for our recruiters to nail all 3 first rounders and not worry about the rough diamond, one in ten long shot.

Phillipou has blown all these guys out of the water on first year performance, none of them have gone near him since either.

There are 2 types of first rounders - those who succeed and those who don't.

St Kilda wants at least money back, which is pick 10, plus a bonus because he's worth more than a pick 10 given the success rate of a pick 10 is 50:50 (I've seen that pick 10 is one of the worst actually).

Adelaide's 1st 2024 + a future 1st is what they will ask.
Adelaide's 1st and future 1st is the equivalent to what Richmond paid for pick 2 Tim Taranto... there is no way in hell an uncontracted Phillipou is worth close to that. He's largely unknown to most AFL fans.

So what you are saying is that this is Moystn's fault for saying that Hamill would probably end up being rookied and to stop with the Sloane debate, and then it turns out he was right?

What I enjoy is that when you are challenged you claim that I've got the wrong end of the stick, as if I need background on what is a public forum.
If you think that’s what I’m saying that you’ve got comprehension issues.

I don’t care if Moystn was right, it was obvious that it was going to happen. What the discussion was about was if it was the right move. Some like to discuss club decisions, even critique them and others fall in line and try to shut down those criticisms.

If Moystn comes out and then says “see I was right” “Sloane staying is ok because that’s what the club has decided” expect a response. But for you to then try and criticise the response, well that makes you as bad as him.

I get that, all true except it's done, the club clearly rates his experience as worth something, whether around the track or on game day. For all the arguments, nobody can put a value on this, but that's what the club has done.

We will pick up 5 players this off season, 3 first rounders, a rookie (cat B if - he's any good) and Burgess (I forgot him before). Time for our recruiters to nail all 3 first rounders and not worry about the rough diamond, one in ten long shot.
Our last pick is pick 20, what if a highly regarded player slipped through a little? We can’t trade back in even if we wanted to. We have no list flexibility to do so, that’s because we kept Sloane. Saying “that’s what the club decided end discussion” is just dumb. We might as well shut down all discussion and post what the club decides from its socials. Big Footy would die though.

Not to AFL List Managers/Head Recruiters he's not, they are acutely aware of his potential...you do realise with a 27/12/2004 birthday he was the youngest player taken in the 2022 draft, 4 days later and he's in this year's draft.

Yes, of course the recruiters have a far better idea of potential but it's the public and media perception of the player that puts the pressure on a club and inparticular the list manager to get fair value. If the whole media circus is banging on about your outgoing player you have a lot more pressure on you to get fair value and you have the leverage to say look, this player is a star, he's a household name, the media circus is talking about him for a reason. If the hype is not there the player is simply not going to be traded for fair value.

I think Dawson was a great example of this. I think recruiters and yourself would have known he was better than what he was eventually traded for. Sydney were staunchly claiming the trade was not fair but the media and Victoria didn't really know much about Dawson. Like Phillipou he was uncontracted. The media and contract leverage wasn't there.

I think you could also provide numerous examples of a hyped up player going for far too much draft capital based on media or their draft position. Dylan Shiel rings a bell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adelaide's 1st and future 1st is the equivalent to what Richmond paid for pick 2 Tim Taranto... there is no way in hell an uncontracted Phillipou is worth close to that. He's largely unknown to most AFL fans.
People need to remember from next season we may have a first rounder that is mid/late teens.

We also no longer have the PSD threat that we clobbered/robbed Swans with and when it comes to return homers, Port may well be below us on the table. To get them home now, we'll have to pay up.

Given what Philipou showed this year, we are not getting him for anything less than a premium price, that's IF he wanted to come home. Think we can take him off the radar.

Petty will still be contracted, he won't be cheap either IF Melbourne would release him and, given they are in a flag window, probably won't. Some chance if we pay a premium.

Surely you're aware in Dawson's case Sydney had zero and I mean absolutely zero bargaining power with the threat of the PSD a very real possibility. Rossy ain't taking a 2nd round pick for a kid with the potential of Mattaes, he's not turning 19 until 2 days after Christmas, c'mon get real.

Let's see how year 2 goes. Too early to tell.

People need to remember from next season we may have a first rounder that is mid/late teens.

We also no longer have the PSD threat that we clobbered/robbed Swans with and when it comes to return homers, Port may well be below us on the table. To get them home now, we'll have to pay up.

Given what Philipou showed this year, we are not getting him for anything less than a premium price, that's IF he wanted to come home. Think we can take him off the radar.

Petty will still be contracted, he won't be cheap either IF Melbourne would release him and, given they are in a flag window, probably won't. Some chance if we pay a premium.

So you're taking Phillipou off the radar because "probably cost too much".

If he's costing a lot late in 2024 it's because he's an elite talent. Why would we want to take that off the radar. I'd prefer a 192cm mid with elite talent over Petty and happy to pay for it!

Richmond definitely paid what they had, it was a good deal though, mostly for GWS as it turns out though, given pick 6 was the future first wasn't it.

I'm not sure the comparison is entirely correct though, as good a point that it seems the Melbourne clubs get GWS and Gold Coast players for not much, whereas we pay lots.

Our last pick is pick 20, what if a highly regarded player slipped through a little? We can’t trade back in even if we wanted to. We have no list flexibility to do so, that’s because we kept Sloane. Saying “that’s what the club decided end discussion” is just dumb. We might as well shut down all discussion and post what the club decides from its socials. Big Footy would die though.
we have no flexibility to pick up late picks because we traded all our late picks into the first round, a strange criticism.

You still going on about Sloane.

Guess what, the club and many people here don't think a rookie in 2024 is worth more than Sloane in 2024.

You can group me and others as 'apologists' in your attempt to influence the group think to your narrow perspective - it doesn't change anything.

You keep trying to make it a debate, you're not going to convince anyone who disagrees with you (you don't present as rational about Sloane).

Look you may even be right, but honestly, the rookie isn't going to make a difference. A delisted player? You have to be joking.

Remember everyone lost their minds we didn't draft Carmichael? Who cares, he's not the difference. Who cares if he's still on a list playing VFL and Turners back at Glenelg? No one, because neither are best 22.

3 first round picks and a Cat B rookie is a great result this off season.
1. Who are these “many people here”?

2. I’m not losing my mind about about Carmichael or Turner, but I am about Wilkie who was under our nose. Who’s to say there isn’t another Wilkie late in the draft?

People also need to let go of the McAsey selection. Like we’re the only team to select a first rounder that hasn’t worked out
While I dont disagree with this, in that 2019 draft if you threw a dart blind folded for the first 20 players, you would have likely ended up far better player than McAsey. In fact we would have been better off with pick in the teens, as hopefully someone would have "taken" McAsey ahead of us.

1.png

While I dont disagree with this, in that 2019 draft if you threw a dart blind folded for the first 20 players, you would have likely ended up far better player than McAsey. In fact we would have been better off with pick in the teens, as hopefully someone would have "taken" McAsey ahead of us.

View attachment 1849906

2019 was a superdraft.

Funny in hindsight as everyone was talking about 2018 being a superdraft and 2019 much weaker but it was actually the reverse

Remove this Banner Ad

Back