Resource 2023 AFL Draft Discussion...

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep good example

All list members will be under threat not just the Tassie ones
Well then .....let's not dangle meat out to the ravaging dogs .....it's an even draft, reduce the risk by not picking
Tasmanians

Hell, every year we talk about choosing Vic Country lads over Vic Metro ....now we want to pick an almost certain escapee ???

I think Nicks prefers those contested types of players at the expense of skillful players who play on the outside.
I also think Cook is played out of position
Nicks doesn't want contested types over skilled players .....otherwise why take Rankine

No ...he wants skillful types who can win their own ball ....but importantly work their arses off ....something Cook IMO doesn't do

Is he played out of position .....yes

Cook does have some special traits but that’s not the reason he isn’t being played

Cool isn’t being played because he isn’t consistent enough even in the things he does well

The club has played him Wing, HF and as a running HB to try and get him to be more consistent with his weapons, and he has struggled for consistency

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think he struggles for consistency because he isn't a HBF or a winger, I think he is a forward.
It reminds me of when we played Fogarty in the backlines 'to get him into the game'
A lot of players will struggle with their game when played out of position

Well then .....let's not dangle meat out to the ravaging dogs .....it's an even draft, reduce the risk by not picking
Tasmanians

Hell, every year we talk about choosing Vic Country lads over Vic Metro ....now we want to pick an almost certain escapee ???
Some of the best players in the draft are tasmanians

After watching the national champs I’d rather have a don’t draft any SA players outside of Goad policy

Tasmanians

It’s a fair call.any 50/50 type decisions likely take the non Tassie lad. Hence some may possibly slide

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But we haven't been playing Sholl ?
I'd love to see Nankervis given a good run in the wing role, I think he is well suited to the position.
I wonder how long we keep playing Soligo there before he goes to the inside midfielder.
And we had Jones playing wing before his injury.
And we will need to squeeze Smith and Sloane in there somewhere
Smith and Sloane shouldn't come into consideration when talking about trying to fit a new draftee into the team. They won't be around for much longer.

We are drafting these kids to be a part of our team for the next 10-12 years, not to fill a need next year. If he gets games in his first year then that's a bonus.

I think he struggles for consistency because he isn't a HBF or a winger, I think he is a forward.
It reminds me of when we played Fogarty in the backlines 'to get him into the game'
He may play better as a forward, but it doesn't look likely that he will break into our forward line. So for us, playing him as a forward doesn't make much sense at the moment.

Yep, and forwards aren't consistent by nature especially small and medium forwards

We prefer someone who's consistently average

You serious ? Played every game in a top 8 team last year and was barely 18 yo

The closest possible thing to Bont in the league going forward

Yeah I'm serious. Sure people on Big Footy know him but regular one team supporting, armchair non-members would have NFI unless they followed StK. All of us know him but we're the 1%.

If you compare someone like Rachele to Phillipou... if Rachele was uncontracted at the end of next year every newspaper in Melbourne would be writing about it already. Nobody is going to write anything about Phillipou until half way into the season if he's still unsigned.

He may play better as a forward, but it doesn't look likely that he will break into our forward line. So for us, playing him as a forward doesn't make much sense at the moment.
But a spot up forward has just opened up with McAdam leaving.
I think that is his best opportunity to secure a place in the team

In Twomeys Mock Draft top 20 video

Leake with our first pick by Kevin Sheean - A Doedee type by the sounds of things.

2nd bids on Mcabe - Another defender. Twomey matches

2nd Pick harry Demattia Mid/Forward

Twomey linking us to the following players in his final form guide:
Curtin
O’Sullivan
Windsor
Leake
Wilson
Tholstrup
McCabe (bid)
DeMattia
C Edwards
Goad
TBF .....anyone would come up with that list of names ....no skill required

Twomey linking us to the following players in his final form guide:
Curtin
O’Sullivan
Windsor
Leake
Wilson
Tholstrup
McCabe (bid)
DeMattia
C Edwards
Goad
Happy James Corden GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

I think Nicks prefers those contested types of players at the expense of skillful players who play on the outside.
I also think Cook is played out of position

My thought is that it’s Not just Nicks. Look at the other coaches as well with Burns, Van Berlo, Bello, Clarke etc who were all effort players. The way you played forms an integral part of the way you coach sub-consciously and the types of players you pick.
Certainly laconic looking players get marked harder than honest triers even if they’ve working as hard.

Only one there I see as a bit of a stretch is Edwards, the rest are obviously seen as being in our hitting zone with the picks we hold. Don't really think he has a real concrete clue or he'd have cut that list down some.
I assume the list is to cover all 3 of our picks .....does the fact there are 2 Rucks in the list of 10, add any further weight to us taking a RUCK with either #14 or #20

Remove this Banner Ad

Back