Resource 2023 AFL Draft Discussion...

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess it is still early days, but it has so far been a pretty underwhelming draft.
true but dominated by talls early who are only 3 years in, inc TT. You would expect big improvement of many of the top 5-6 over coming years. Agree that Pedlar is looking like he could quite possibly end up a top 5 player of this draft though. Would anyone seriously swap him with Kangas Phillips?

It's too early to re-draft the 2020 and truly be accurate or gain any consensus, but this attempt is a little off for Adelaide, except for picking Gulden which would have been a good selection at pick 2:

1701211995180.png

Twomeys post draft article is interesting

‘sets up an interesting alternative draft universe had the Hawks picked Curtin instead of Watson with their first choice. In the ultimate 'What if?' that order (not including bids) would likely have been Reid to the Eagles, McKercher and Duursma to North, Curtin to the Hawks, Sanders to the Dogs and Watson to the Demons.

Then, the Giants would likely have accepted Melbourne's offer of pick 11 and a future first-rounder for pick seven and the Demons swoop on Windsor, Geelong and Essendon would have still been able to secure O'Sullivan and Caddy and then Wilson could have landed at the Crows. After that, the Giants would still have drafted Gothard and the Swans taken Green before Collard gets to the Saints and Leake to the Crows’

Likely if we didn’t do the trade we would have ended up with Wilson , Leake and ….. not sure Re 3rd pick - probably still would have got Edwards

Would have been a good draft regardless but very happy with Curtin . Best result

‘sets up an interesting alternative draft universe had the Hawks picked Curtin instead of Watson with their first choice. In the ultimate 'What if?' that order (not including bids) would likely have been Reid to the Eagles, McKercher and Duursma to North, Curtin to the Hawks, Sanders to the Dogs and Watson to the Demons.

Then, the Giants would likely have accepted Melbourne's offer of pick 11 and a future first-rounder for pick seven and the Demons swoop on Windsor, Geelong and Essendon would have still been able to secure O'Sullivan and Caddy and then Wilson could have landed at the Crows. After that, the Giants would still have drafted Gothard and the Swans taken Green before Collard gets to the Saints and Leake to the Crows’

Likely if we didn’t do the trade we would have ended up with Wilson , Leake and ….. not sure Re 3rd pick - probably still would have got Edwards

Would have been a good draft regardless but very happy with Curtin . Best result
Much happier with Curtin and Edwards than Wilson and Leake.
Also says if GWS accepted Saints deal they would have traded 7 for WC future first.

It's too early to re-draft the 2020 and truly be accurate or gain any consensus, but this attempt is a little off for Adelaide, except for picking Gulden which would have been a good selection at pick 2:

View attachment 1862593

Strange list

Will Phillips has shown nothing to suggest he would be re-drafted ahead of Pedlar. Ollie Lord at pick 14?

Completely ignores Jake Bowey who won a premiership at Melbourne, and Jack Ginnivan who won a premiership at Collingwood

Ned Moyle, who's played 2 games so far, gets in the list but no room for someone like Tyler Brockman, Corey Durdin, Tom Powell, Brandon Walker or Nathan O'Driscoll?

Much happier with Curtin and Edwards than Wilson and Leake.
Also says if GWS accepted Saints deal they would have traded 7 for WC future first.
Agree. Wilson and Leake would have been a good haul and no doubt both players add to our group BUT, Curtin is a player that could be Elite and we were very fortunate that the cards fell as they did and we were in a position to draft him. I suspect we will look back in a few years time (assuming al lads stay) ad say this was one of our very best drafts

Strange list

Will Phillips has shown nothing to suggest he would be re-drafted ahead of Pedlar. Ollie Lord at pick 14?

Completely ignores Jake Bowey who won a premiership at Melbourne, and Jack Ginnivan who won a premiership at Collingwood

Ned Moyle, who's played 2 games so far, gets in the list but no room for someone like Tyler Brockman, Corey Durdin, Tom Powell, Brandon Walker or Nathan O'Driscoll?
Agreed, a bit strange but I think just too early for many of those players. A top 5 is probably more interesting and can project to be more accurate, but I think it's a bit early for Henry to be top 5.

It's hard for me not to be biased in these lists, players I don't like from teams I don't like I tend to disregard, especially early in their careers.

pretty broad statement

I lived in Adelaide until I was 30, I still love my home town however wouldn’t move back

now living in Sydney to don’t realise how many ex Adelaide people now live in Sydney and when I travel to melbourne for work, it’s the same.

I love Adelaide but so do now love loving in a bigger and more progressive city

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
That city that closes down at midnight on a weekend, takes 9 hours a day to commute to work and a small fortune to buy a shoebox? Sounds pretty progressive to me 🤣

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That city that closes down at midnight on a weekend, takes 9 hours a day to commute to work and a small fortune to buy a shoebox? Sounds pretty progressive to me 🤣
mate the difficulty is people I have met in regional areas in SO many countries - inc in SA (the Riverland, Yorke Pen where I spent much time decades ago) say the same thing about Adelaide. Why would anyone want to live in that big busy expensive $hithole. They have the same perspective as you do but comparing Berri to Adelaide (compared to Adelaide to Sydney).

When I lived 1.5 hrs out of London for a couple of months the same thing from people in their mid 20s who had NEVER been to (in my view) one of the great cities of the world had the same sentiments.

By constantly saying a bigger, more popular (and therefore more in demand and more expensive), generally more sophisticated place with MANY more options for work, entertainment etc place is $hithouse then where do you draw the line? Is ADL a $hithole? Melbourne? London? You see the point...

mate the difficulty is people I have met in regional areas in SO many countries - inc in SA (the Riverland, Yorke Pen where I spent much time decades ago) say the same thing about Adelaide. Why would anyone want to live in that big busy expensive $hithole. They have the same perspective as you do but comparing Berri to Adelaide (compared to Adelaide to Sydney).

When I lived 1.5 hrs out of London for a couple of months the same thing from people in their mid 20s who had NEVER been to (in my view) one of the great cities of the world had the same sentiments.

By constantly saying a bigger, more popular (and therefore more in demand and more expensive), generally more sophisticated place with MANY more options for work, entertainment etc place is $hithouse then where do you draw the line? Is ADL a $hithole? Melbourne? London? You see the point...
Just draw the line at Adelaide - simple ;)

Mine is a recruiter, GWS and Freo were interested with their first picks that year, it's why we took him there to avoid missing out.
The recruiter was was wrong regarding the GWS first pick.
But I have no doubt GWS 2nd pick he would've been talked about and Freo's first

Crows rated Edwards better than Leake though

That city that closes down at midnight on a weekend, takes 9 hours a day to commute to work and a small fortune to buy a shoebox? Sounds pretty progressive to me
Not to mention the stinking pollution and so many people per square metre like rats in a drainpipe.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The recruiter was was wrong regarding the GWS first pick.
But I have no doubt GWS 2nd pick he would've been talked about and Freo's first
Were you officially involved with GWS recruiting that evening? I believe what you are saying but to be so definitive you clearly aren’t “guessing” and would need to have this first hand knowledge. And that means ONlY from the GWS camp as ALL other sources including Crows and Freo recruiters, Pedlar and his family/Management would never know for sure the true intent of GWS recruiters.

Were you officially involved with GWS recruiting that evening? I believe what you are saying but to be so definitive you clearly aren’t “guessing” and would need to have this first hand knowledge. And that means ONlY from the GWS camp as ALL other sources including Crows and Freo recruiters, Pedlar and his family/Management would never know for sure the true intent of GWS recruiters.
Are you asking the same questions of those that said Freo and GWS wanted Pedlar?

View attachment 1862593
Will be interesting to re draft the re-draft in another 3 years time and see how much it changes. I disagree with some of this as it is, but also I think a number of them (not at the top) are poised to start getting really good and that will shake it around big time.

Are you asking the same questions of those that said Freo and GWS wanted Pedlar?
Mate, the question wasn’t posed to you so how about let The Hamburgler answer in the first instance

PS as the self appointed Chairman of Directness, not sure how you have an issue of me trying to delve into sources where first hand knowledge WOULD be required to be so definitive. I am basically being you here :) (feels just a little dirty by the way haha)

Last edited:
Strange list

It’s a s**t list if it doesn’t have Gulden 1 and daylight 2nd

Remove this Banner Ad

Back