List Mgmt. 2023 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

If we were offered a pick in the 20's for Clurey, I'd be angry on behalf of the other club. 50's is right. He's worth a late 3rd, or at best swapping a late 3rd + Clurey for an early 3rd round pick.

Port has done ok at getting players in (though usually overpaying), but for players out in Ken's tenure it's one of, or combination of:
1. Talk them down so their value is trash
2. Don't play them, so their value is diminished
3. Don't trade them when they have value, instead waiting until they are too old
4. Don't trade them at all, despite good offers
See 1 - Wingard, 2 - Hayes, 3 - Lobbe and 4 - Hartlett.

If our list managers get a B for trades/free agents in, they and Hinkley deserve a D for value from players going out.

Can you provide some examples of where we overpaid for trades brought in and were underpaid for what we traded out?

Fantasia is one.

Last edited:
Can you provide some examples of where we overpaid for trades brought in and were underpaid for what we traded out?

Fantasia is one.
Ryder. A suspension hanging over his head and we pay full price. We shouldn't deal with Essendon again ever. Though Dixon another one we should have gotten for less. We've had some good ones like Aliir, but littered amongst too much coughing up.

Sounds like Goad will go first round so no good for us 🥺
That would be 5 rucks in the Top 20 or so. That is crazy.

A lot of teams are super set at ruck too.

I can't see teams splashing out necessarily for a ruck even if they are highly touted.

We could pick up a gem for the future.

Goad has the building blocks of being a very unique ruck and because it sounds like, he hasn't had much exposure to footy, he might be like a piece of granite waiting for an artist to carve out a ruck of a different type.

Goad is there at our 1st if we go that way.

There's probably 6 in the 1st two rounds and Goad could be the last of those 6?

End of July Top 30 Draft Ranking 2023

South Australian Draftees
  • Jack Delean (small forward) ranked #29
  • Will Patton (defender) not in the top 30
  • Ashton Moir (forward) not in the top 30

A lot to play out with our own list, few players are possibly going to be traded which in term brings in draft picks

Possibility of being traded:
  • Tom Clurey: more opportunity, trade for late 2nd round pick according to Cal Twomey
  • Mitch Georgiadis (been silent for a few weeks now but have some links to Hawthorn)
  • Riley Bonner - more opportunity
  • Sam Hayes - more opportunity (could become a package deal with Bonner?)
The only real trade currency on this list is MG.
Who may or may not wish to leave, it will be his choice.

Coen Livingstone, Orlando Turner, Liam Fawcett surprise me as not being in National Combine.

Orlando Turner on skill set alone is worth a look.
Livingstone maybe consensus is he's a back end pick West Coast will pick up?

Fawcett I'd rookie if available.

Recent review RD 15 Central vs South

39 Liam Fawcett

Key Forward | 197cm | 89kg | 22/04/2005
One of a few developing talls at Centrals’ disposal, Fawcett failed to hit the scoreboard after snaring multiple majors in five consecutive games. The 197cm forward works best as a marking target inside 50 and had a couple of chances on goal without being able to split the big sticks. Still, his hands were relatively clean when marking and his exposed form this year has been promising.

He's gone ok most of the season for Centrals

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is not the draft I would want to have a bunch of high picks in, and I would hate to have good players out of contract and face replacing them with draft picks in this draft. Thank * Bergman signed.

Tho I am quite interested in some of the options that may present around the mid draft.

We have some obvious holes in our first 22 and some on the list beyond that

We absolutely should be looking at key defenders regardless of whether we bring in a ready one in the off season as Jonas and clurey could be off the list years end.

Inside / centre mids to develop in the sanfl as mead and Schofield have busted.

There’s a bunch of choices that might be available around our picks.

unfortunately I think we would be best placed if we could massage our picks to end up with 2 draft picks around 30-40 range ie trade that freo 3rd rounder up but that will be hard if we’re trading for esava , zerk thatcher or Grundy.

Patton at our 1st pick would be an outstanding result but if Ashton Moir is there we could not go past him. We almost need Ashton Moir to be gone by then to get our best outcome.

We could still get Moir and possibly Patton at our next pick but that should not happen.

This is not the draft I would want to have a bunch of high picks in, and I would hate to have good players out of contract and face replacing them with draft picks in this draft. Thank * Bergman signed.

Tho I am quite interested in some of the options that may present around the mid draft.

We have some obvious holes in our first 22 and some on the list beyond that

We absolutely should be looking at key defenders regardless of whether we bring in a ready one in the off season as Jonas and clurey could be off the list years end.

Inside / centre mids to develop in the sanfl as mead and Schofield have busted.

There’s a bunch of choices that might be available around our picks.

unfortunately I think we would be best placed if we could massage our picks to end up with 2 draft picks around 30-40 range ie trade that freo 3rd rounder up but that will be hard if we’re trading for esava , zerk thatcher or Grundy.
I'm not sure we need to bring in key defenders in the draft.

If we bring in the Rat and have Pasini, Marshall and McCallum on the list with Bergman, Burton and Jones as pseudo talls I think we have a fair bit of cover there (albeit under exposed).

I think we should be spending our draft capital elsewhere.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Rookie Me Power Rankings. Top 40

Aston Moir at 37
Taylor Goad at 40
Patton doesn't rate.

Moir has to be one of the most polarising players in the draft , has really fallen off a cliff this year in terms of his rating.

Moir has to be one of the most polarising players in the draft , has really fallen off a cliff this year in terms of his rating.

He played with a hip injury and produced a predictable outcome with peoples perception of him by doing so.

I look at the season as a complete waste of time as far as judgement on him goes and I go with what he produced last year.

He is ridiculous value as a mid 30s pick. If he get past Collingwoods 2nd round pick it's interesting for us. Collingwood apparently showing most interest at present.

He played with a hip injury and produced a predictable outcome with peoples perception of him by doing so.

I look at the season as a complete waste of time as far as judgement on him goes and I go with what he produced last year.

He is ridiculous value as a mid 30s pick. If he get past Collingwoods 2nd round pick it's interesting for us. Collingwood apparently showing most interest at present.
High risk, high reward type, if he's there at 37 , I'd take him, had heard about hip prob, but was more concerned about reports on his lazy work effort, strikes me as a potential Stephen Motlop type whose best is brilliant , but can go cold for long periods.

Key dates for the 2023 AFL Trade and Draft periods

Saturday, September 30
2023 Toyota AFL Grand Final

Friday, October 6 AFL Restricted Free Agency Offer and Unrestricted Free Agency Period Commences (9am)

Friday, October 6 to Sunday, October 8 National Draft Combine

Sunday, October 8 Victorian State Draft Combine

Monday, October 9 Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period Commences – Players & Selections (9am)
  • AFL Draft Nominations open (9am)
Friday, October 13 Close of AFL Restricted Free Agency Offer and Unrestricted Free Agency Period (5pm).

Saturday, October 14 SA/NT State Combine

Sunday, October 15 WA State Combine

Monday, October 16 AFL Restricted Free Agency Matching Offer 3 Day Period Ends (5pm)

Wednesday, October 18 Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period Closes – Players & Selections (7.30pm)

Monday, October 23 Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period Opens – Selections Only (9am)

Wednesday, November 1 AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (1) Commences (9am)

Wednesday November 8 AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (1) Closes (5pm)

Friday, November 10
AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (2) Commences (9am)
AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (2) Closes (5pm)
Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period Closes –Selections Only (5pm)

Monday, November 13 AFL Draft Nominations close (by 3pm)

Monday, November 20 AFL National Draft - Round 1 (time and venue TBA)

Tuesday, November 21
  • Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period – Selections Only (5.45pm - 6.30pm)
  • AFL National Draft - Round 2 until completion (7pm)
  • Rookie Promotion to Primary List (post completion of National Draft)
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (3) (post completion of National Draft)
Wednesday, November 22
  • AFL Pre-Season Draft (3pm)
  • AFL Rookie Draft (3.20pm)

I'm not sure we need to bring in key defenders in the draft.

If we bring in the Rat and have Pasini, Marshall and McCallum on the list with Bergman, Burton and Jones as pseudo talls I think we have a fair bit of cover there (albeit under exposed).

I think we should be spending our draft capital elsewhere.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Well for a club that had any intent to develop and play those guys sure

I really like pasini but at this point he’s gonna be 23 before next season starts, we’ve just signed McKenzie for another year and we’re going to bring in another key defender in esava or someone else…

If Hinkley is here there’s just no chance he’s picking pasini in 2024 barring a massive injury list and even then, we’ve had that this year and he’s picked jase Burgoyne over pasini.

I don’t think I’m being overly dramatic when I say we might as well not include pasini in our future key defender stocks cause as we know Hinkley is going to torch a kpp’s career before it begins by never giving them a chance to develop in the middle of blooding midget / flanker #39,791.

Right now the only chance pasini , Marshall or MacCallum have of playing afl is if they outlast the coach, cause he will burn them and discard every single one of them, and with pasini being ooc in 2024 I’m no longer sure he will outlast Hinkley at the club.

Yeah he gets a pass on form due to hip for mine, but not being able to play healthy does mean he didn’t answer questions, ie can he play midfield ?

So I’m not picking him with an eye to being a midfielder if he’s not proven in that position. But I’m happy to pick him on what I’ve seen from him as a forward.

I think he becomes good value pretty quickly when the high end players are off the board…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back