List Mgmt. 2023 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

My kiss of death

Delean / Charleson
Johnson / Carroll

Rookie
Rawlinson
Weckert
A tall skinny ruck to develop behind Ivan, Sweet and Vis 1 - maybe even a basketballer

But I expect Parker to pluck one out of nowhere. Someone playing local footy somewhere.
Something about Delean..... pops up at the right moments.

I was surprised West Coast only drafted one player. They were hamstrung in that they had to take the generational talent which will pay off down the track whether he stays or goes.

But there's not much there to suggest that they will be leaping off the bottom of the ladder any time soon. They really needed to split the #1 pick into 2 or 3 picks.

Meanwhile the AFL throws picks at North Melbourne.

I was surprised West Coast only drafted one player. They were hamstrung in that they had to take the generational talent which will pay off down the track whether he stays or goes.

But there's not much there to suggest that they will be leaping off the bottom of the ladder any time soon. They really needed to split the #1 pick into 2 or 3 picks.

Meanwhile the AFL throws picks at North Melbourne.

When you see that draft list you kind of realise why with a bit of mismanagement teams like North can end up so hopeless and unable to get off the bottom without help.

For finishing last you get 1 extra pick over the premier. You get pick 1 and pick 19 and they get pick 18, and so on. It's not enough.

Then you have a stack of academy and father son players that totally distort the draft order and push everything further back to the point where your theoretical pick 19 isn't even the 19th best junior in the country anymore, it's the 30th best.

The whole draft needs reforming. It's no longer the effective equalisation tool it once was. There is too little talent among too many teams. You've got free agency advantaging the top teams. You've got academies undoing all of the theoretical benefits to the talent pool of the expansion into NSW/Queensland. It's a hot mess and needs to be fixed.

Last edited:
Stevens reminds me of Peter Bampton. Only one weapon is clearance not much good at anything else. Peter was playing SANFL and was pretty dominant.

What the actual * is this? Wait while I stop and fend off air.

Also the whole ghost town vibe with vultures circling overhead does not inspire confidence.

Stevens reminds me of Peter Bampton. Only one weapon is clearance not much good at anything else. Peter was playing SANFL and was pretty dominant.

George is more versatile than Peter was. Peter had one trick. George has a lot more

Mannagh is the man I want.

Recruit for now. That is what we did in trade week- why change course now? We filled holes with rucks and tall backs and our remaining glaring gap is small forwards who can apply pressure AND kick goals. That’s where Mannagh comes in. Old enough to be desperate for a chance, young enough to be able to give us a few good years.

Absolutely no point in planning for the future with low end 18 year olds in a compromised and poor draft. There are only a handful of 18yos left that (a) suit our needs and (b) are good enough to demand a 2 year contract and I don’t expect Murphy, McAuliffe or Zakostelsky to be there at our pick. There’s a handful of rookie options, but that’s all.

George is more versatile than Peter was. Peter had one trick. George has a lot more

And Bampton was the vanilla 183/83 combo. There was no point of difference.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When you see that draft list you kind of realise why with a bit of mismanagement teams like North can end up so hopeless and unable to get off the bottom without help.

For finishing last you get 1 extra pick over the premier. You get pick 1 and pick 19 and they get pick 18, and so on. It's not enough.

Then you have a stack of academy and father son players that totally distort the draft order and push everything further back to the point where your theoretical pick 19 isn't even the 19th best junior in the country anymore, it's the 28th best.

The whole draft needs reforming. It's no longer the effective equalisation tool it once was. There is too little talent among too many teams. You've got free agency advantaging the top teams. You've got academies undoing all of the theoretical benefits to the talent pool of the expansion into NSW/Queensland. It's a hot mess and needs to be fixed.
One theoretical change I've heard is that Round 1 should be compromise free. No acadamy, no FS, no compo, no priorities, no trades. Each club gets a pick of the best 18 (19 with Tas) kids in reverse ladder order, then open slather from Round 2 onward.

My kiss of death

Delean / Charleson
Johnson / Carroll

Rookie
Rawlinson
Weckert
A tall skinny ruck to develop behind Ivan, Sweet and Vis 1 - maybe even a basketballer

But I expect Parker to pluck one out of nowhere. Someone playing local footy somewhere.

He likes to pick players that had good under 15's and 16's more then 1 great u18's especially late/rookie picks

Last edited:
One theoretical change I've heard is that Round 1 should be compromise free. No acadamy, no FS, no compo, no priorities, no trades. Each club gets a pick of the best 18 (19 with Tas) kids in reverse ladder order, then open slather from Round 2 onward.

Is there any good reason why the premier should get a pick in the top 18?

Remove the round 1 discount, bring the bids for the NGAs back from 40 to 20, eliminate the Norf style priority picks, and reveal players wages so we can finally see the free agency herbs and spices.

89849d2221e16dd36228235b17956898

Remove this Banner Ad

Back