Fixture 2023 AFL Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

4 games in Victoria. Our least amount of games in Victoria throughout Dew's tenure (not counting 2020 due to COVID)

3 games in SA is a big win for our SA fans.

Would I be right in saying that 2023 will be the first time in our history that we have played in each state and territory across Australia?

First thought... man those games on the GC are hard..

Melbourne, Geelong, Brisbane, Sydney, Carlton will be tough

St Kilda and Collingwood should be 50/50

Hawthorn, North Melbourne should be easy wins.

Overall I think it's a fairly good draw for us. Double ups against Adelaide, St Kilda and North feel like at least four wins and potentially more. Two of those are at home, two away and two at neutral venues. Our other double ups against Carlton, Sydney and Brisbane look tough but I reckon the AFL know we have a pretty good record against Sydney/Carlton and fixtured us against them more than once on purpose. We were also highly competitive in the last QClash so they probably aren't as concerned about those games as they may have been in the past. I see some similarities to our draw this year and although some will say it was the close losses to Collingwood, Port Adelaide and Hawthorn that cost as a finals berth this year, I would actually argue it was our 2W 5L start to the year that cost us. More specifically losses to GWS, St Kilda and Collingwood in the first seven rounds of the season.

This time around I think it's really important to get off to a good start so we're not chasing an unrealistic amount of wins in the second half of the season. This year we were 4W 6L by the end of round 10 but I think that probably needs to be reversed for us to be a realistic shot at competing for finals. Straight off the bat we should definitely beat North Melbourne and West Coast in rounds 6 & 9. If we play our best footy then I'm also confident we can beat Essendon and St Kilda in rounds 2 & 4 so that gets us up to 4 wins in the first 10 rounds of the season. Where do the other two wins come from? I think we're all hopeful we can beat Sydney at Carrara in round 1 and perhaps Richmond at Marvel is the other game we should be eyeing off for a win. Fremantle at Norwood feels like a coin toss and I don't like our chances against Geelong, Melbourne or Brisbane. So we're probably going to have to pull off at least one big upset to be in a good position after 10 rounds. Then we'll have 13 games to secure the required 5-6 wins required to make finals and I like our chances of achieving that given it's a less than 50% win ratio required and games against the Bulldogs, Adelaide x2, Hawthorn, St Kilda, GWS and North after round 10 all look very winnable.

Can we do it? I certainly think so!

Personally I just want us getting a fixture that gives us the best chance of winning games and making finals.
Of course Darwin games are counted as home.

I think we got stiffed a little.
Double games against north Melbourne and Adelaide (from bottom 6), carlton and st kilda (from Middle 6), Brisbane and Sydney (from top 6). Nm and st kilda a good outcome, maybe Sydney too, but the other double games are just about worse case outcome from the options in those brackets.

Id say
very likely wins are rounds:6,9,12,15, 24
50/50s are rounds:1,2,4,5,11,16,18,19,21,23
Tough to win are rounds: 3,7,8,10,14, 17,20,22

For finals we will need to win all the easy games (5/5), 6/10 50/50’s and pinch 2/8 difficult games.

Positives: 2 games back to back in Darwin - I like it. Although I’m not a season ticket holder so can explain why some are a bit upset.

Sydney early - gettable
St kilda early (no king)
Hawthorn at Metricon - 100 point win please, Noah announces 5 year extension the following day.

Negatives:
Pretty tough draw IMO. Not many Carrara home games against teams likely to be mid table - a lot against teams destined for the top 4.
Difficult start. Can certainly see a world where we are 2 wins from 8 games.
Gws in Canberra, nm in Hobart just makes those games slightly harder than otherwise IMO.

With the two home games in Darwin… I get it. I get why people are cranky BUT I fully support the decision by the Club to take games to Darwin. Having two games back to back allows fantastic work to be done in the community, schools, NT local clubs etc. On a performance level it helps to give us a home ground advantage having adjusted, trained and worked in the climate and environment for a couple of weeks.
We have a terrific opportunity to build a fantastic community relationship with the top end and we are already starting to see the fruits of this partnership with the amount of NT players on our list including Joel Jeffrey who we may not have got had we not had this partnership and the Darwin region in our academy zoning.

Back this partnership in, guys.

4 games in Victoria. Our least amount of games in Victoria throughout Dew's tenure (not counting 2020 due to COVID)

3 games in SA is a big win for our SA fans.

Would I be right in saying that 2023 will be the first time in our history that we have played in each state and territory across Australia?

Wow, that is incredible.

Has anyone ever done that?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the two home games in Darwin… I get it. I get why people are cranky BUT I fully support the decision by the Club to take games to Darwin. Having two games back to back allows fantastic work to be done in the community, schools, NT local clubs etc. On a performance level it helps to give us a home ground advantage having adjusted, trained and worked in the climate and environment for a couple of weeks.
We have a terrific opportunity to build a fantastic community relationship with the top end and we are already starting to see the fruits of this partnership with the amount of NT players on our list including Joel Jeffrey who we may not have got had we not had this partnership and the Darwin region in our academy zoning.

Back this partnership in, guys.
We are becoming a destination club for Darwin talent. Don't knock the Darwin home games guys. It'll return more than it takes.

Rounds 16-23 fixtures leaked by The Age

Sat July 1 vs Collingwood @Heritage Bank Stadium - 4:35pm
Sat July 8 vs Port Adelaide adelaide Oval - 7:10pm
Sat July 15 vs St Kilda @Heritage Bank Stadium - 2:10pm
Sun July 23 vs GWS Giants @Manuka Oval - 1:10pm
Sat July 29 vs Brisbane Lions @Heritage Bank Stadium - 4:35pm
Sat Aug 5 vs Adelaide adelaide Oval - 1:40pm
Sat Aug 12 vs Sydney Swans @SCG - 2:10pm
Sat Aug 19 vs Carlton @Heritage Bank Stadium - 2:10pm

Rounds 16-23 fixtures leaked by The Age

Sat July 1 vs Collingwood @Heritage Bank Stadium - 4:35pm
Sat July 8 vs Port Adelaide adelaide Oval - 7:10pm
Sat July 15 vs St Kilda @Heritage Bank Stadium - 2:10pm
Sun July 23 vs GWS Giants @Manuka Oval - 1:10pm
Sat July 29 vs Brisbane Lions @Heritage Bank Stadium - 4:35pm
Sat Aug 5 vs Adelaide adelaide Oval - 1:40pm
Sat Aug 12 vs Sydney Swans @SCG - 2:10pm
Sat Aug 19 vs Carlton @Heritage Bank Stadium - 2:10pm
A lot of teams will have the same problem.

Adelaide and Port are also much better teams at home, so Gather Round is a huge boost for their season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back