AFLW Suns AFLW Season 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

If the same garbage was happening with the men’s list we’d be in nuclear meltdown.
It did happen. Remember Jack Bowes? Local boy, told he wasn’t part of the future, moved on (with Pick 7 as well!). Plenty of meltdowns on this board, and in the media.

I’d say Howarth leaving will cause less ripples.

And Howarth was one of my favs before this season’s injury took her out. Liked her best as a forward. But with an ACL, and only 10 games (+ finals) a season, she could have been very limited in 2024. May also play all games for Collingwood, who knows.

Jen, do you know if there is still top tier of players (with limited number of players per team) with top salaries? I suspect most of these moves are to earn more money late in career. Or could be some good jobs opportunities including post career.
Yeah, I believe that's still the case.

Female players will see continual growth in their home and away season over coming years but will not reach the hoped-for 17 home and away games by the end of the deal.

The 2025 season will mark the first time that Tier 1 female players will receive more than $100,000 as a base playing wage, with Tier 2 players to hit six figures in 2027.

The biggest jump will come in the current season where wages will increase by 26 per cent, with another jump of the same amount over the next two seasons.

The average salary for women’s players will increase from $49,000 to $92,000 over the life of the deal, with a number of significant increases to off-field services and boosts to policies for female players.

I have heard on the grapevine that one of our much loved players was told she was no longer part of the club’s future plans. Pretty poor form by the Club if true. 🦵

Very trusty source.
You've got to be kidding me...

I can understand the age factor with Ahrens, Keaney and Drennan but I don't get Kindy. The only logical explanation would be that she hasn't recovered well from her ACL injury but we won't know if that's true until it's too late. A head scratcher for sure 🤔

You've got to be kidding me...

I can understand the age factor with Ahrens, Keaney and Drennan but I don't get Kindy. The only logical explanation would be that she hasn't recovered well from her ACL injury but we won't know if that's true until it's too late. A head scratcher for sure 🤔
They made a similar with Pregelj last season after an ACL. Maybe they aren’t confident in their high performance staffs ability to get players fit after ACLs? She is about to hit her prime - I think we owed it to her to back her in

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing wrong with the people we are trading in. Backline should be pretty strong and replaces some of the outgoing players. Plus one young mid from the Lions may cover someone like Drennan I guess.

Basically, this is the usual outgoing trades I expect as a Suns member (losing fan favourites or leaders), but at least some quality is coming back in.

Lynch is easily better than anyone we traded out
This is what we all need to keep in mind when assessing a trade period. We just landed a 23 year old AA key defender from Victoria who has played close 50 AFLW games already and could be a star for us for the next decade. That would have been unthinkable in previous seasons. It'd be like landing Sam Taylor from GWS and trading out a few older guys like Sam Day in the process. Certainly a net profit overall and not something to get upset about.

So we got in a 2023 season AA defender. Probably one of the bigger signings we’ve had as a club in either comp, honestly. A good get. Anyone saying otherwise has blinders on.

This is what we all need to keep in mind when assessing a trade period. We just landed a 23 year old AA key defender from Victoria who has played close 50 AFLW games already and could be a star for us for the next decade. That would have been unthinkable in previous seasons. It'd be like landing Sam Taylor from GWS and trading out a few older guys like Sam Day in the process. Certainly a net profit overall and not something to get upset about.
Not sure if Sam Day is the equivalent though.

We lost (at least currently) best 22 players, so maybe someone like Collins or Swallow are better comparisons as older, loyal leaders nearer to the end of their career.

Would trading Collins for Sam Taylor or Darcy Moore (both 2023 AA defenders) make our men’s team better on paper? Probably. Would the fans be upset about it? Definitely. Would players be upset about it? Probably, but they are professionals.

So we got in a 2023 season AA defender. Probably one of the bigger signings we’ve had as a club in either comp, honestly. A good get. Anyone saying otherwise has blinders on.

Not sure if Sam Day is the equivalent though.

We lost (at least currently) best 22 players, so maybe someone like Collins or Swallow are better comparisons as older, loyal leaders nearer to the end of their career.

Would trading Collins for Sam Taylor or Darcy Moore (both 2023 AA defenders) make our men’s team better on paper? Probably. Would the fans be upset about it? Definitely. Would players be upset about it? Probably, but they are professionals.
Fair enough. I was just trying to point out that landing Lynch was a really good get.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back