AFLW Suns AFLW Season 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Charlie Rowbottom was announced in the All Australian Team last night on the Interchange. First All Australian Selection since Kalinda Howarth was selected (interchange) in 2020.

Claudia Whitfort led us in the W B&F tally receiving 16 votes and finishing equal 2nd on the overall tally. Most votes ever by a SUN and despite all this, she doesn't get a look in with the All Australian team.

Final tally W Medal

Total votes: 39

Claudia Whitfort - 16
Charlie Rowbottom - 8
Jac Dupuy - 4
Niamh McLaughlin - 4
Jamie Stanton - 3
Darcie Davies - 2
Lucy Single - 1
Tara Bohanna - 1

Claudia Whitfort's breakout season in Gold Coast's midfield was rewarded, finishing equal-second in the count with 16 votes, beating out star teammate Charlie Rowbottom for club plaudits. The spread of votes for the club was also impressive, with eight different players recognised throughout the count.

Carlton and the Bulldogs are also among the sides with an interest in Gold Coast's experienced defender Lauren Ahrens, who is set to depart the Suns given the impending arrival of Lynch and Melbourne's Charlotte Wilson.

Ahrens is a key cog in our defensive unit - would be dearly missed. Our defensive duo of Pregelj-Ahrens out the door in two seasons
We will be fine. We are trading in some defenders. More academy kids coming in.

Sadly, Pregelj played just one game for Lions and then did again ACL in training. She is 32 so is Ahrens.

This is a big one

West Coast is hoping to tie up deals for Gold Coast's 2022 (season six) best and fairest winning midfielder Alison Drennan

The Giants, who signed superstar midfielder Alyce Parker to a fresh contract extension on Wednesday, are also hoping to improve and have targeted former first-round pick Alana Gee from Gold Coast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a big one

West Coast is hoping to tie up deals for Gold Coast's 2022 (season six) best and fairest winning midfielder Alison Drennan

The Giants, who signed superstar midfielder Alyce Parker to a fresh contract extension on Wednesday, are also hoping to improve and have targeted former first-round pick Alana Gee from Gold Coast

I would be surprised if Drennan left - she loves the club

Ahrens is a key cog in our defensive unit - would be dearly missed. Our defensive duo of Pregelj-Ahrens out the door in two seasons
I suspect age is a big factor. Ahrens will be 33 before the start of the next season. The same goes for Pregelj who has become very injury prone. Every club has to replenish their list with youth at some point - Katie Lynch is 23 and Charlotte Wilson is 22.

This is a big one

I don’t mind losing gee I think the club has overrated her

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2023 Club Champion Award Winners:

Club Champion: Claudia Whitfort
Club Champion Runner-Up: Charlie Rowbottom
Club Champion Third Place: Daisy D’Arcy
Players’ Player – Presented by Mackay Regional Council: Maddy Brancatisano
Most Professional – Presented by Kool Beanz SUNS: Maddy Brancatisano
Coach’s Award – Presented by GANDEN: Bess Keaney
Leading Goalkicker – Presented by SIXT: Jamie Stanton
Player of the Series (Autumn Series): Jac Dupuy

2023 AFLW Club Champion Top 10:

1. Claudia Whitfort (322)
    2. Charlie Rowbottom (270)
    3. Daisy D’Arcy (255)
    4. Jac Dupuy (252)
    =5. Lucy Single (251)
    =5. Alison Drennan (251)
    7. Bess Keaney (238)
    8. Maddy Brancatisano (234)
    9. Niamh McLaughlin (225)
    10. Lauren Ahrens (221)

GC SUNS AFLW Trade Update

The Gold Coast SUNS will assist a number of players in identifying further opportunities in the AFLW throughout the upcoming AFLW Trade Period.

Like I said after the semi final debacle I call upon the resignation of Teflon McLarty. This is disgraceful that 3 really integral players want to depart.
Something is in the water up at Carrara. We have just made finals yet three of our key players are wanting out. Yes I understand Ahrens and Keaney are Victorians so 'want to return home to family' but both are key leaders. Ahrens has a teaching position at Miami High and works in the Suns community team so that is a bit surprising she is leaving. Keaney our Vice Captain, a leader and one of our most consistent players. Kindy - what a shock. A GC girl through and through choosing for a new chapter. With Ahrens and Keaney now gone that is a lot of experience gone and now makes our squad a lot lot younger..

Surely we have to get some big ins this trade period (the next few days) to make up for this.

We have got to keep Ali Drennan now but with Pearce being announced as Eagles coach today - that may be the carrot that sways Drenno's mind.

Something is in the water up at Carrara. We have just made finals yet three of our key players are wanting out. Yes I understand Ahrens and Keaney are Victorians so 'want to return home to family' but both are key leaders. Ahrens has a teaching position at Miami High and works in the Suns community team so that is a bit surprising she is leaving. Keaney our Vice Captain, a leader and one of our most consistent players. Kindy - what a shock. A GC girl through and through choosing for a new chapter. With Ahrens and Keaney now gone that is a lot of experience gone and now makes our squad a lot lot younger..

Surely we have to get some big ins this trade period (the next few days) to make up for this.

We have got to keep Ali Drennan now but with Pearce being announced as Eagles coach today - that may be the carrot that sways Drenno's mind.

Lauren is a GC/Tweed girl too. She did go down Vic for a few years after growing up here but she’s absolutely a Gold Coaster.
I’m absolutely appalled by the loss of these 3 players.

Pies poised to land Suns gun as three request trades

Kalinda Howarth is one of three Suns searching for a new home during the AFLW trade period

That one stings. Losing two locals who are inaugural players as well as our vice captain is a pretty big blow. IIRC Kindy got emotional when talking about how much the club meant to her a few years ago and now she's leaving. Doesn't sit right but I guess money is starting to become a big factor in the women's game now after the CBA increase and that is where it's hard for us to compete.

Maybe this is just the reality of a successful season for a Queensland AFLW team? Seems like Brisbane lose good players every season but they are able to top up the list by recruiting well and that's probably what we're going to have to do from now onwards to remain competitive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back