AFLW Suns AFLW Season 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Player movement is much bigger in AFLW. Contracts are shorter as well, so pay and contract length are large factors. Any club that can offer more and/or longer will appeal to those wanting to prolong their careers or get in a little more money. Can’t blame anyone for that.

We will be the target of clubs, but are targeting clubs too (having been linked to some quality players already). Only so much cap space.

Howarth is coming of an ACL (and with the length of a season in AFLW, may not play much in 2024). Could be offered a longer deal elsewhere that we weren’t willing to match. She was a fav of mine, so it sucks obviously.

Drennan and Keaney have been big members for our club, but also in the backend of their careers. It’s a lot of leadership out the door too, but ultimately we will get younger players in to replace them long term (e.g linked to Demons defender for Keaney and our own draftee gun for Drennan’s position).

Or maybe there is something deeper wrong with the club… I do love to buy into conspiracies! But for me, as long as our good young players stay (you know, the ones who top the BnF) I’m happy.

The teenager Ella Smith, who made her AFLW debut in round one of this season but didn't appear again in Brisbane's senior side, has already requested a trade to crosstown rival Gold Coast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few trades to happen tomorrow

But there had been a slight breakthrough on Wednesday afternoon, with the Western Bulldogs progressing in discussions over a significant three-club trade with Gold Coast and Port Adelaide that could help unlock other deals.

The proposal – which remains up in the air – would see Dogs defender Katie Lynch move to the Suns in exchange for pick No.14, as well as veteran defender Lauren Ahrens and youngster Jasmyn Smith.

The Bulldogs would then on-trade pick No.14 and All-Australian midfielder Kirsty Lamb to Port Adelaide and receive pick No.4 in return, adding to the No.1 pick they already hold due to their last-placed finish in season 2023.

After days of intense negotiating, it's understood pick No.13 is now on the table and is likely to be the centrepiece of the deal but the two clubs are still haggling over a swap of later picks.

One of those later picks could then be sent from Essendon to Gold Coast in a deal for the club's vice-captain Bess Keaney, who has requested a trade to Victoria and specifically to the Bombers for family reasons.

Other deals still to be concluded on Thursday include veteran Ash Brazill's move from Collingwood to Fremantle, defender Charlotte Wilson's shift from Melbourne to Gold Coast, and youngster Lily Johnson's move from Port Adelaide to Melbourne.

Howarth, Smith, Aherns and Kearney trades out maybe… plus the 4 delistings that’s a lot of movement
Yeah it is. But at least unlike when previous expansions, players cant leave for nothing. Just natural player movement.

Yeah it is. But at least unlike when previous expansions, players cant leave for nothing. Just natural player movement.
Jen, do you know if there is still top tier of players (with limited number of players per team) with top salaries? I suspect most of these moves are to earn more money late in career. Or could be some good jobs opportunities including post career.

I have heard on the grapevine that one of our much loved players was told she was no longer part of the club’s future plans. Pretty poor form by the Club if true. 🦵

Very trusty source.

Last edited:

That’s just outrageous that they’ve done that to such a fine player, good person, a local girl who loves the club and a pioneer.

Teflon McLarty is more of a disaster than I thought which is really something.

If the same garbage was happening with the men’s list we’d be in nuclear meltdown.

That’s just outrageous that they’ve done that to such a fine player, good person, a local girl who loves the club and a pioneer.

Teflon McLarty is more of a disaster than I thought which is really something.

If the same garbage was happening with the men’s list we’d be in nuclear meltdown.
Finals was a bandaid covering issues and a tad of incompetence. I agree Fiona needs to go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back