AFLW Suns AFLW Season 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Intensity has lifted in the third, but still very shaky.

Single starting to have an impact.

It will however take a herculean effort from here with the score deficit.

And here we are. Finally a home semi final. Decent crowd. Good buzz.

And against a 2nd year team that was winless last year I can’t wait for it to end and go home.

The improvement in this team since inception has been incremental at best.

It’s time for a new set of eyes and maybe some ruthlessness to go to where we need to be.

I’m calling specifically for a new head of women’s football.

And under my self imposed mini gf restrictions that’s it from me until our first men’s “mini GF” in 2024.

Later.

Last edited:
Disappointing end to the season. Sydney were just better across the night.

But I didn’t think girls would make finals after the players that left. They’ve exceeded my expectations and gotten stronger in a much more even comp. Lots of players improved.

Hopefully we retain who we want and can attract some more quality to bolster the list and reload for next year. Who knows.

And here we are. Finally a home semi final. Decent crowd. Good buzz.
Largest crowd our girls have pulled at home with 2710 showing up. Previous largest crowd was 1902.

Real shame that our girls didn't put their best foot forward tonight in front of a record crowd. Was a great opportunity to build our fanbase.

Disappointing end to the season. Sydney were just better across the night.

But I didn’t think girls would make finals after the players that left. They’ve exceeded my expectations and gotten stronger in a much more even comp. Lots of players improved.

Hopefully we retain who we want and can attract some more quality to bolster the list and reload for next year. Who knows.
FWIW, from an outsider, These girls have improved, I saw that first hand at vic park. They are on the right track.And have come a long way since the last time they played finals. I do believe the coach is the right choice, its more about keep building around the core group and keep getting better. What area do you think you need to improve? Capitalizing on inside 50's?

I don't actually think any those that left have really hurt you at all. Although that craft small forward would be handy.

What area do you think you need to improve?
Probably some more outside run and class would have helped throughout the season. Fortunately we have this year's top Queensland draft prospect coming through our academy in Sienna McMullen and she happens to be a winger. So we should get an immediate injection of depth in that area when we draft her. Like you said, a crafty small forward would be useful too but it looks like coach Joyce is trying to turn D'Arcy into that player. Hopefully qualifying for the finals this year makes recruiting easier this off season and we can fill some holes in the depth chart.

I can't believe some of the fickleness.

2 and a half years ago we went winless through an entire season.

This season we made finals.

And people are talking about it being embarrassing and throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Unreal.

We just weren’t good enough. A tough trip to the GC but still proud of our girls.

Sydney’s pressure and run was just way above ours. We also didn’t capitalise on our inside 50s unfortunately. Like that last quarter pretty much most of the quarter the ball was in our front half and didn’t.

Let’s use this as a base to push forward for next year as we get more development and experience. A few handy recruits to fill our gaps will help. Sydney shows what a difference having a gun like Molloy in a team does. We did miss Chuck tonight but she will be back next year.

On the positives - great crowd and Great atmosphere. Was good to see ex Suns Jade Pregelj and Tori Groves Little at the game supporting the girls. I loved that!

Very curious. Anyone know who went with the 2,4,6,8 chant when Molloy was lining up for goal? That one is going to get a fair bit of airtime during the week given Molloy's celebration.

We just weren’t good enough. A tough trip to the GC but still proud of our girls.

Sydney’s pressure and run was just way above ours. We also didn’t capitalise on our inside 50s unfortunately. Like that last quarter pretty much most of the quarter the ball was in our front half and didn’t.

Let’s use this as a base to push forward for next year as we get more development and experience. A few handy recruits to fill our gaps will help. Sydney shows what a difference having a gun like Molloy in a team does. We did miss Chuck tonight but she will be back next year.

On the positives - great crowd and Great atmosphere. Was good to see ex Suns Jade Pregelj and Tori Groves Little at the game supporting the girls. I loved that!
Good on ya, mate. Always impressed by your unwavering support for our club. Two thumbs up.

Very curious. Anyone know who went with the 2,4,6,8 chant when Molloy was lining up for goal? That one is going to get a fair bit of airtime during the week given Molloy's celebration.

Good on ya, mate. Always impressed by your unwavering support for our club. Two thumbs up.
Yep sat right next to him. Was in response to the free kick given to her when both players were at eachother but the ump pulled up us and gave Molloy the free.

Last edited:
Really missed Chuckles for ball winning and tackles, but the bottom line was that the players who played well for the Swans to get them to the finals mostly played well, while the opposite was true for the Suns.

Too many of our better players just did not play well enough, or made crucial mistakes at the wrong time. Finals pressure is different, and hopefully a few learn from that. We would also have been better with a wet and humid night, and slowed down the outside run from the Swans.

But also happy to point out that we had a very good season with nothing from Howarth, and won the final regular game of the year without Chuckles when we had to win (and finally picked up an Irish recruit who impacts the game).

We should find out our delistings soon. Always a tough time of year but it happens at every club.

I’m not sure how many players we will have to delist but I think it could come out of the following:
  • Kaylee Kimber 0 games
  • Tahlia Meyer 3 games
  • Ashanti Bush 3 games
  • Claire Ransom 0 games - inactive (home sick?)
  • Jordan Membrey 5 (ended up out of favour)
  • Jasmyn Smith 1 - (I rate Jas but she has seemed out of favour with Joyce)

Key dates
Monday, November 13 2023
  • AFLW Draft Nominations Open
  • Expansion U18 Talent Pathway Pre-Signing Period Open
Friday, November 17 2023
  • Expansion U18 Talent Pathway Pre-Signing Period Close
Monday, November 27 2023
  • 2023 W Awards
Sunday, December 3 2023
  • 2023 NAB AFLW Grand Final
Friday, December 1 2023
  • AFLW Draft Nominations Close
Thursday, December 7 2023
  • Trade Period Opens
  • Restricted Free Agency Period Opens
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (1) Opens
Wednesday, December 13 2023
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (1) Closes
Thursday, December 14 2023
  • Trade Period Closes (2pm AEDT)
  • Restricted Free Agency Period Closes
Friday, December 15 2023
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (2) Open
Saturday, December 16 2023
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (2) Closes
Sunday, December 17 2023
  • AFLW Draft Order confirmed
Monday, December 18 2023
  • 2023 AFLW Draft
Monday, February 5 2024
  • Supplemental Selection Period Open
  • Rookie Signing Period Open
Friday, March 1 2024
  • Supplemental Selection Period Closes
  • Rookie Signing Period Closes

I did not expect it. Opportunity missed. Largely disappointing game for whatever reason. Was it the occasion? Too long break? Probably the worst game of the season together with Carlton game.

I thought coach Joyce summed up the game well. IMO, he did a decent job and stays as a coach (at least for now, haha).

Most players had ordinary game, including our usually best ones. We lowered our colours in the middle, did not match intensity, contest from Swans players who after difficult travelling were terrific and put a lot of pressure on us which we did not handle well.

I was worried after round 1 but we did make progress this year and I enjoyed watching girls. FWIW, I am less stressed :)

Not bad making finals in now 18 teams competition with only 4 teams above the rest (North, Melbourne, Crows, Lions). Boys can still only dream about finals after 12 years.

Now mostly full-time players, AFLW competition will only get better. We should have steady influx of academy players. Looking forward to next year already.

Enjoy break girls and come back better.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't write off Joyce yet, he's got them to finals and playing a (usually) attractive brand of footy.

Definitely agree that the depth of the list is faltering here when put to the test.

Sorry I’m not sold on the coach. Against the high pressure teams he’s regularly out coached his inability to change the game plan gets exposed. When the pressure comes happy handball and long bomb game plan doesn’t work.

But the players must take some heat just walking around and minimal second effort against a side with high work rate is going to beat you 9 out of 10 times

a second goal kicking forward to help out bohanna should be on the shopping list for the recruiting staff

Bella gets hands to the ball nearly every contest and still just taps it to opposition even if opposition is no where near it. She needs to work on her ruck craft either grab it straight out of the ruck and kick it or workout how to tap to advantage.

Drennan tried hard
Keaney and dupoy probably kept us in it through that middle to late part of the game where swans threaten to blow the game away

Sorry I’m not sold on the coach. Against the high pressure teams he’s regularly out coached his inability to change the game plan gets exposed. When the pressure comes happy handball and long bomb game plan doesn’t work.

But the players must take some heat just walking around and minimal second effort against a side with high work rate is going to beat you 9 out of 10 times

a second goal kicking forward to help out bohanna should be on the shopping list for the recruiting staff

Bella gets hands to the ball nearly every contest and still just taps it to opposition even if opposition is no where near it. She needs to work on her ruck craft either grab it straight out of the ruck and kick it or workout how to tap to advantage.

Drennan tried hard
Keaney and dupoy probably kept us in it through that middle to late part of the game where swans threaten to blow the game away
I think Dupey has been an excellent foil for Bohanna as an actually contested marking tall target who can ruck in the forward half. Not sure a key forward is top of my list.

We need a good small forward though. Can’t rely on Stanton alone. And a good rebound/winger. Even with Kallinda to return at some point, it is still something to address to put some speed on our gameplan.

As for Bella, she has the same problem as Witts. Wins taps, but not particularly skilled with those taps. She did a few aggressive smacks forward which I liked the idea of, so maybe she can keep growing that area. I like that she hangs on the 50m mark and intercepts kicks out of defence a lot though.

I think Dupey has been an excellent foil for Bohanna as an actually contested marking tall target who can ruck in the forward half. Not sure a key forward is top of my list.

We need a good small forward though. Can’t rely on Stanton alone. And a good rebound/winger. Even with Kallinda to return at some point, it is still something to address to put some speed on our gameplan.

As for Bella, she has the same problem as Witts. Wins taps, but not particularly skilled with those taps. She did a few aggressive smacks forward which I liked the idea of, so maybe she can keep growing that area. I like that she hangs on the 50m mark and intercepts kicks out of defence a lot though.

It seemed last night Joyce tried to play Davis in dupoy forward role and less ruck as last week and dupoy higher up the ground.

Also I prefer d’arcy in the back line she should’ve been the one playing on Molloy instead of having Barwick

You’re right about howarth she should be in the forward line but Joyce likes her in the backline for some reason

Also I prefer d’arcy in the back line she should’ve been the one playing on Molloy instead of having Barwick

Daisy started the game on Molloy, and got shifted off her about half time iirc, probably to allow Daisy to get more football.
The early Molloy snap goal from the ruck stoppage was with Daisy guarding her.

Tbh there are no good matchups for Molloy, a bit like Toby Greene.

On the bigger picture, the team is much much better than the last two seasons. Have gone 3.5 wins, 5 wins, 6.5 wins the last 3 seasons. Lots of players have improved, and still young enough for more next year. Of course, if we don't improve significantly we will be going backwards! Unfortunately, the fixture will play a big part as well. Ours was pretty balanced this year

Will be really interesting to see what happens with player movement, especially away from the top 4 teams. Can we pick up a good player from a rival without losing a good player?

The Giants are looking to reinvigorate a list that went 2-8 this season and have already been linked with moves for Gold Coast forward Giselle Davies and delisted Port Adelaide midfielder Jacqui Yorston.

Two Suns girls named in the AFLW academy for 2024
TaraHarringtonQLDGold Coast Suns AcademyBond University
HavanaHarrisQLDGold Coast Suns AcademyBurleigh

Havana Harris

KimY6pjI.jpg

This is exactly what we've always expected would happen when our teams start playing finals. Recruiting of high level players should become easier because we can offer an amazing lifestyle for young Aussies as well as an expectation of playing finals. Sure enough, a few weeks after our team finishes 5th on the ladder and secures a home final, we're suddenly the frontrunner for the signature of a 23 year old who was named a 2022 All Australian key defender. I'm sure we wouldn't be the frontrunners had our girls not played finals this season, but they did and here we are. Now we need to strike while we can and boost the talent on our list as much as we can to ensure we play finals again next year and we can continue to build. Exciting times ahead.

This is exactly what we've always expected would happen when our teams start playing finals. Recruiting of high level players should become easier because we can offer an amazing lifestyle for young Aussies as well as an expectation of playing finals. Sure enough, a few weeks after our team finishes 5th on the ladder and secures a home final, we're suddenly the frontrunner for the signature of a 23 year old who was named a 2022 All Australian key defender. I'm sure we wouldn't be the frontrunners had our girls not played finals this season, but they did and here we are. Now we need to strike while we can and boost the talent on our list as much as we can to ensure we play finals again next year and we can continue to build. Exciting times ahead.
Great pick up if it works out. Viv Saad and Lauren Ahrens are getting on in age (now both in their 30s) so we need to start getting ready for life after them. I'd be stoked to get Katie Lynch!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back