2023 ICC Men's Cricket World Cup Game 38 Bangladesh v Sri Lanka 6/11 1900hrs @ Arun Jaitley Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Why not? Here’s an idea you have 3 minutes so get off your lazy you know what and get out there and face up. It’s not hard. There’s already enough delays and batsmen take the Mickey out of these rules.

He was going to be ready to face but the helmet strap broke, its not like he was wondering around doing god knows what. If it wasn't his first ball he would have be able to swap the helmet and no one would say s**t.

I haven't seen the incident, but here is what cricinfo said.

"So the broadcast just showed the full incident clearly. Essentially Mathews was ready to take strike when his strap broke. He called for a new helmet and while that wait ensued, Shakib appealed."

If that is the case (can someone confirm?), it seems like a pretty ordinary appeal to me.
He was never ready. He crossed himself made some adjustments and that's when he broker his helmet

I haven't seen the incident, but here is what cricinfo said.

"So the broadcast just showed the full incident clearly. Essentially Mathews was ready to take strike when his strap broke. He called for a new helmet and while that wait ensued, Shakib appealed."

If that is the case (can someone confirm?), it seems like a pretty ordinary appeal to me.
When you consider the amount of time wasted when someone gets hit on the helmet, or other injuries like being hit on the fingers, etc, it seems rather strange.

He was going to be ready to face but the helmet strap broke, its not like he was wondering around doing god knows what. If it wasn't his first ball he would have be able to swap the helmet and no one would say s**t.

Just face a ball (and it was a spinner lol he’s not bowling a bumper). You know the rules zero issue with the appeal

When you consider the amount of time wasted when someone gets hit on the helmet, or other injuries like being hit on the fingers, etc, it seems rather strange.
It does seem extreme but I think enough is enough with the time wasting. Intentional or not. Next thing to eradicate is the 12th and 13th man out every over with water and new gloves

Which takes me back to my original point

No it doesn’t. I’m fine with the appeal. You are there to win a WC match not play tiddlywinks. Batsmen have to take an ounce of ownership it takes how long to get out to the crease let’s say 45 seconds, so what’s the bloke doing the rest of the time.

You're asking a lot if you expect the laws of the game to be anything resembling logical.

5 minute inane reviews, changing gear every few overs, physio visits in the last session on day 5 for the most trivial knock. Changing balls as this one isn't doing much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He wouldn’t be if he wasn’t so slow and lazy getting out there. The fielding team has penalties for not bowing overs why should the batsmen delay things?

He wasn’t slow and lazy getting out there genius. He passed the departing batsman on the field, he went to mark guard, adjusted his helmet strap and it broke.

Maybe watch what you’re commenting on.

It does seem extreme but I think enough is enough with the time wasting. Intentional or not. Next thing to eradicate is the 12th and 13th man out every over with water and new gloves

This! Umpires need to grow a pair too it’s utterly ridiculous Smith needs a new set of gloves every 10 minutes! Just tell the bloke wait till drinks! There’s a reason only 85 overs a bowled a day and yes the fielding side is at fault but the batsmen don’t help either

As the commentators said, Mathews should have made the umpires and Shakib aware that his helmet strap had broke rather than just wandering off and waiting for a new helmet to be brought out, without him making them aware of it he just looked like he was wasting time.

He wasn’t slow and lazy getting out there genius. He passed the departing batsman on the field, he went to mark guard, adjusted his helmet strap and it broke.

Maybe watch what you’re commenting on.

Does not matter they know the rules the 12th man should have sprinted on, you have 3 mins, it’s only 90 seconds in t20 would you prefer the latter

I haven't seen the series of events, but why didn't he just face the spinner for one ball without a helmet?

Seems like an obvious solution...
I think he assumed he'd be fine to change it and didn't even consider for a moment that it would be a timed out issue.

If he'd asked for permission to change it, they could have said no or yes..

Also, with timed out batsmen, I've always wondered surely you could just claim the next batsmen was actually your number 11 and it's him who is timed out...

"I was just coming out to inspect the pitch, it's actually [NUMBER 11 BATSMEN] who was due in next"
this sort of logic is up there with "it's my first day" (after multiple years with the same company). :)

This! Umpires need to grow a pair too it’s utterly ridiculous Smith needs a new set of gloves every 10 minutes! Just tell the bloke wait till drinks! There’s a reason only 85 overs a bowled a day and yes the fielding side is at fault but the batsmen don’t help either
They don't even need to wait till drinks, I'm fine with them coming out at fall of wicket.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back