2023 ICC Men's Cricket World Cup Game 39 Australia v Afghanistan 7/11 1900hrs @ Wankhede Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh the contrast between the Afghanistan players thinking their semi final dream had been realised to seeing it all crumble before their eyes. Beautiful stuff

Some of the early comments here were disgraceful. Fair enough to get upset with how this game was going but reading some comments you’d think we’re in England’s position and a bunch of no-hopers.

Even if we’d lost this game that wouldn’t be the case. Bloody glad we won, though. That one is etched in the memory!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fully acknowledge there's some recency bias at play, but I reckon Maxwell gets bonus points for being in a run chase.
I'm really not saying which is best, all three of those knocks are pretty amazing. Each one could be top of the pile for mine.

The thing about the two that I highlighted though (for me at least) were that they were in the early days of ODIs when things were not weighted in favour of the batsmen like they are these days.

Mind you, I forgot to factor in Maxwell's cramp in all of this.........

Sorry, you know this how exactly?

Denigrating the claims of other players on how they would or would not have handled cramping, simply on the basis that they’ve never really suffered it in the first place to be able to demonstrate whether they could or couldn’t cope is pretty pointless.

I’ve seen Faf Du Plessis hit a century so littered with big hits followed immediately by collapsing with cramp, that it was intercut with footage on twitter from the Saving Private Ryan sniper, Jackson, picking off German soldiers.

He’s not the first guy to hit boundaries while being inconvenienced and the notion that THAT is what has made it such a spectacular innings rather than the simple match situation and the quality of his ball striking seems pretty irrelevant to me.
I know how I would have handled cramping while playing cricket.

Not very well. :)

Quite possibly the most pathetic bowling effort from a team. Maxwell was limited to being virtually unable to move his feet for his last 70ish runs. Take nothing away - that was a superhero innings. But pie bowling.

Quite possibly the most pathetic bowling effort from a team. Maxwell was limited to being virtually unable to move his feet for his last 70ish runs. Take nothing away - that was a superhero innings. But pie bowling.
first 15 overs they bowled very well..hooping all over the place

I know how I would have handled cramping while playing cricket.

Not very well. :)

Neither would I but I’m a fat C***t who’s primary motivation for even playing the game is getting shitfaced afterwards.

Heinrich Klaasen was nearly collapsing from exhaustion a few weeks ago against England but that wasn’t the factor that stood out in his innings - it was the absolute bottom-violation he gave the opposition bowling

When your attack is 80 per cent spin you have less recourse.

You can’t bounce someone, you can’t change your pace to nearly the same extent, and everything you DO try, the batsman has twice as long to make an assessment of what he’s going to do.

Just remember he was dropped twice, given out leg before once and it looked out for all money to the naked eye, he edged, somehow, his first delivery that looked like it had bowled him - and it fell short of slip - he edged two more straight past the keeper from the spinners.

It’s not like the bowlers didn’t get the better of him at any stage

Oh the contrast between the Afghanistan players thinking their semi final dream had been realised to seeing it all crumble before their eyes. Beautiful stuff

Some of the early comments here were disgraceful. Fair enough to get upset with how this game was going but reading some comments you’d think we’re in England’s position and a bunch of no-hopers.

Even if we’d lost this game that wouldn’t be the case. Bloody glad we won, though. That one is etched in the memory!

Ironically your attitude toward the Afghanis is exactly what makes most of the cricketing world hate the English

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We'd have made it anyway in a few days

As a card carrying gen Xer who grew up with fifty being a solid score after fifteen overs and openers scoring gutsy hundreds in the 45th over that made me feel slightly old if I'm honest. ODI cricket has come a bloody long way.

A Swampy Marsh ODI hundred was like pulling teeth.

Holy **** Maxi what a beast, 100% in the conversation for best individual ODI innings of all time.

How good is it to see a team like Afghanistan with some talent coming through though
100%, and if they bat first against South Africa, it'll be interesting to see how the Proteas handle the chase. I don't believe that Afghanistan can be taken lightly from now on (at least in the shorter forms of the game), and anyone who dismisses Maxwell's achievement is seriously underestimating how good they are.

I'm still speechless and heartbroken.

Went to bed when they dropped Maxwell, thinking the game was almost over. Never did I imagine to wake up for a double century

Absolute hero.

P.S - has anybody checked on Plugger to make sure his alright?

Wouldn't plugger be happy? We lose then nz fate is out of its hands but now kiwis just need any win vs sri Lanka and that forces Pakistan to annihilate england to qualify.

Anybody who would want aus to lose this game is no kiwi cricket fan that's for sure

There's another one man show from Bevan in an Asia/ROW game from 2000 that's largely forgotten about these days because it didn't have ODI status, yet if they played it five years later it almost certainly would have had official status. Bevan made 185* as the ROW fell one run short with Bevan needing six off the last ball and only managing four, the next highest score was Mark Waugh with 28. The Asian attack was Wasim, Vaas, Razzaq, Kumble and Murali, there's over 2,000 Test and 2,000 ODI wickets in that attack.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back