MRP / Trib. 2023 - MRO Chook Lotto - Carlton Tribunal News & Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s rubbish. Watch some union, league or NFL and you we will see how players try to avoid contact with the kicker after they have attempted to block the kick. It can be done and they are penalised if they don’t. The reason why Aussie rules players do it today is because they aren’t penalized for it. Guarantee that if the AFL applied a suspension that the hit would be out of the game but the attempted smother would remain in it.
They are very different games where the kicker only has one available action, and, Maynard was penalised. The ump paid the free.

Maynard getting off is good for us. There is absolutely no way Martin gets weeks when Maynard does not.

Maynard's was Careless high contact either severe or High. It has to be, he hit him in the head and knocked him out badly.

Going by that logic. Martin was most definitely careless high contact and low impact.

0 chance Martin gets any weeks IF the tribunal is to be CONSISTENT.

Again this is a good thing for us, there is absolutely no way they can uphold Martin's suspension with any weeks now.

Martin's contact was significantly less and is also very much a football act by that definition.

This is a great weapon to have up our sleeve come our appeal time.
1694619659926.gif

I've appreciated many of the insights and analysis in this thread re Maynard case. We had different opinions in our family. Below is a link to ABC article. My question: does "this incident will be subject to close examination at the end of the season" mean rules could be adjusted to take into account Maynard type situations? And if so, how?

“Former Collingwood player Brodie Holland also responded to Smith’s Facebook comments.

“Definitely an accident and he hit a bloke with a glass jaw,” Holland wrote.

“He’d be incredibly unlucky if he’d been suspended.”

Thank you, Brodie. But please stop thinking, you might hurt your head.

If it was the 70's Maynard would not have walked from the ground....

I tell you what after Stan Magro ironed out Alex Jesaulenko there was some argy bargy between supporters on the Bulleen bus on the way home - I can only imagine what was happening on the Hurstbridge and Epping Line trains on the way home too.

As I have said previously. I DON'T GIVE A STUFF ABOUT MAYNARD.

Can someone with more time and dedication than me please conduct an analysis on Michael CHRISTIAN and his penchant for over-penalising Carlton players?

It seems that the CFC are forever successfully appealing penalties Christian has given Carlton players.

It would be interesting to see how many he has charged, the penalty given, how many times we have appealed, and how many times we have been successful in overturning/reducing the penalty.

I found the Martin penalty infuriating, basing it on high impact when the 'victim' played out the entire game and was one of the Swans best player. Yet, in the same round he gives Van Rooyen medium impact.

Can someone with more time and dedication than me please conduct an analysis on Michael CHRISTIAN and his penchant for over-penalising Carlton players?

It seems that the CFC are forever successfully appealing penalties Christian has given Carlton players.

It would be interesting to see how many he has charged, the penalty given, how many times we have appealed, and how many times we have been successful in overturning/reducing the penalty.

I found the Martin penalty infuriating, basing it on high impact when the 'victim' played out the entire game and was one of the Swans best player. Yet, in the same round he gives Van Rooyen medium impact.
Stamos, you have the Christian v Carlton stats I think?

ferrisb

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It does seem a bit sus. The AFL went to the tribunal arguing that they graded it high impact because "the action had the potential to cause injury", as if they don't understand their own grading system (or the difference between impact and potential).

With my tin foil hat on - I think they knew it was only worth 1 week, but in giving 2 weeks they forced Carlton into the common sense appeal of getting it down to 1; whereas if they initially gave 1 week Carlton would have made a hail mary appeal attempting to get it down to zero.

It does seem a bit sus. The AFL went to the tribunal arguing that they graded it high impact because "the action had the potential to cause injury", as if they don't understand their own grading system (or the difference between impact and potential).

With my tin foil hat on - I think they knew it was only worth 1 week, but in giving 2 weeks they forced Carlton into the common sense appeal of getting it down to 1; whereas if they initially gave 1 week Carlton would have made a hail mary appeal attempting to get it down to zero.
It's all a bit bizarre when Van Rooyen gets 1 week, and Melbourne choose not to challenge for fear it may get upgraded....and in the same week Martin gets 2 weeks for a similar incident, and successfully challenge to get it downgraded to 1 week.

Even the media jocks who thought that Martin deserved 2 weeks all agreed that Van Rooyen also deserved 2 weeks.

I think Christo needs a cup of tea, a couple of bex, and a good lie down....

1694669459839.gif

My main issue with this whole thing has been the complete lack of scrutiny on Michael Christian.

There are 17 other clubs in the competition, who would have had their player charged by the MRO had they done what Maynard did.

Plowman was charged after making high contact while spoiling a ball.
Cripps was charged after making high contact while contesting an aerial ball.
Lynch was charged after making high contact on arriving slightly late to a marking contest.

It's clear that, in the past, Christian has been more than happy to charge players for making incidental contact during a "football act".

Wind the clock forward and the ex-Collingwood player decides that a Collingwood player has no case to answer for making high contact while attempting (and failing) to smother a ball. Not only that, but when his direct manager, the new GM of Football Operations, decides that it is imperative that the charge be laid and the case reviewed by the tribunal....he threatens to quit his post.

And yet - no mention of this in any of the official media channels. Nobody on Twitter or Facebook or some random podcast with a decent following. The case dominated the headlines, and rightly so, but why has there been not a ******* peep about the fact that an ex-Collingwood player with what appears to be almost sole judiciary powers, who has shown a willingness to suspend players for incidental high contact, decided he would die on the hill of "Maynard has no case to answer for almost killing a bloke"?

Irrespective of the tribunal's ultimate findings, the fact that Christian did not want him cited at all is suspicious at best and damning at worst.

Last edited:
My main issue with this whole thing has been the complete lack of scrutiny on Michael Christian.

There are 17 other clubs in the competition, who would have had their player charged by the MRO had they done what Maynard did.

Lynch was charged after making high contact on arriving slightly late to a marking contest.

It's clear that, in the past, Christian has been more than happy to charge players for making incidental contact during a "football act".

Wind the clock forward and the ex-Collingwood player decides that a Collingwood player has no case to answer for making high contact while attempting (and failing) to smother a ball. Not only that, but when his direct manager, the new GM of Football Operations, decides that it is imperative that the charge be laid and the case reviewed by the tribunal....he threatens to quit his post.

And yet - no mention of this in any of the official media channels. Nobody on Twitter or Facebook or some random podcast with a decent following. The case dominated the headlines, and rightly so, but why has there been not a ******* peep about the fact that an ex-Collingwood player with what appears to be almost sole judiciary powers, who has shown a willingness to suspend players for incidental high contact, decided he would die on the hill of "Maynard has no case to answer for almost killing a bloke"?
That’s a rhetorical question yeah ?

Irrespective of the tribunal's ultimate findings, the fact that Christian did not want him cited at all is suspicious at best and damning at worst.
Putting aside whether Christian is bias or not.

How the tribunal found that Maynard deciding to jump and launch himself into Brayshaw wasn’t a careless act amazes me. Most realistic smothers don’t require players to jump/launch into the air. Take it away Buzz… :cool:

Putting aside whether Christian is bias or not.

How the tribunal found that Maynard deciding to jump and launch himself into Brayshaw wasn’t a careless act amazes me. Most realistic smothers don’t require players to jump/launch into the air. Take it away Buzz… :cool:

It's clear they got they result they wanted.

Going to be a lot of Melbourne supporters eating their words on Pickett this week. Elected to bump, left the ground, caught Cripps high - if it's about intent and not outcome, he'd get weeks (he won't)

He must get weeks, second time he has sprung up and collected someone high this year!

Probably broke crippa’s nose and blackened his eye.

So intentional, high contact, high impact.

Just cos Crippa is the hulk doesn’t get you off.

His jumper punch is a week as well.

And whoever through Walsh into the fence gets weeks too, slinging action head high contact careless.

Viney catching Fogarty high should also be a week!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back