Preview 2023 Rd 11 Carlton vs Sydney Friday May 26 7:50PM @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in:-

IN:
Tom De Koning, Brodie Kemp
OUT: Ed Curnow, Jack Silvagni, Lewis Young

After starting last weekend as sub, George Hewett has been elevated to the starting 22.

Backs:Sam DochertyJacob WeiteringNic Newman
Half-backs:Brodie KempMitch McGovernAdam Saad
Centreline:Blake AcresPatrick CrippsOliver Hollands
Half-forwards:Matthew KennedyHarry McKayTom De Koning
Forwards:Corey DurdinCharlie CurnowJesse Motlop
Followers:Marc PittonetGeorge HewettSam Walsh
Interchange:Jordan BoydAdam CerraMatthew Cottrell
Matthew Owies
Emergencies:Ed CurnowLachie FogartyJack Silvagni
Lewis Young

Last edited:

Who cares.

Murphy has been the two to Darcy Moore since framptons injury and doing it really well. He's 193cm.

Who has McLean ever ripped apart.

Juddy, you’ve been around long enough to know why I responded as I did.

You are entitled to any opinion you like, but you’re not above gentle reminders of our board rules.
I thought you'd reply with something like that rather than responding to the topic of conversation. All good

If teams can congest our 50 on the spacious grounds imagine with our ball movement how congested it will be on the S.C.G. Good luck to the big boys taking a mark in there tonight.

On the plus side, we don't have to worry about how slow we moving the ball end to end if we are playing on a postage stamp

We will be able to bomb kicks to Motlop.or Owies in a 1 on 3 from right inside our defensive 50. The ultimate expression of our desired gameplan!

Cripps needs to lead by example. He can't lead by presence.

When your captain allows his opponent to run forward whilst jogging in the middle of the ground, that should be seen as unacceptable. If he sets that standard, how can we expect better from the rest of them?

I believe he's carrying an injury. He's also copping a lot of attention from the opposition and our other mids haven't done enough. Not only in terms of physically getting stuck in, but they just haven't been damaging enough to direct the attention away from Cripps either.

He's not alone, because our vice captain has been just as bad in the back line this year.

These are problems with ramifications that spread throughout the entire team. Only they can turn this around... we're almost at the half way point of the season and they haven't yet... hopefully tonight they do.

Who cares.

Murphy has been the two to Darcy Moore since framptons injury and doing it really well. He's 193cm.

Who has McLean ever ripped apart.
Us thanks to your post 😂 he’s now the leading contender for “vs Carlton I’m a star” where nobody becomes somebody! Pencil him in for 5-6 goals 😂

I'm more concerned about our dismal record at the half-sized SCG, historically, we play terrible footy there.
Last time we tasted victory was 2011 and we've only achieved this result twice in the last 29 seasons.

If teams can congest our 50 on the spacious grounds imagine with our ball movement how congested it will be on the S.C.G. Good luck to the big boys taking a mark in there tonight.

Oops! That's a slightly better record.
It's such a dinky little ground that we don't play well, I hope the extra congestion doesn't cramp our style.

SCG isn't as small as it used to be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've got such a bad feeling about tonight. We should win by plenty but tonight will be a really good indicator of whether the pressure is getting to us as a club.
To me it's got the same feel as the COVID game against West Coast which was also played at the SCG.

Injury depleted opponent that we should have beaten easily and we shat the bed.

If I'm not wrong, that loss sparked the review that cost Teague his job.

To me it's got the same feel as the COVID game against West Coast which was also played at the SCG.

Injury depleted opponent that we should have beaten easily and we shat the bed.

If I'm not wrong, that loss sparked the review that cost Teague his job.

Yeah the catalyst I reckon. The following week when he had 10+ players without a tackle in the first half v GWS. Sayers had gone to Sydney to chat to people in private about things iinm. That's when the review was put in place.

Are any of you fine folks involved on the youtube channel Blue Abroad? watched the preview and i genuinely loved it great bunch of passionate supporters hope to see successfor your club soon.
Its the best fan based AFL podcast/channel in the country. PommyInOz, Jumper Punch, Blue Abroad, Navy Blue Corner, MyBlueHeaven are all fantastic channels to tune into rathen than the garbage that is AFL 360 etc.

I don’t think Young is dropped for form. There’s no matchup for him.
Will be needed to match up against Grundy/Gawn next week.

Hollands should have been dropped. He was a liability last week getting drawn to contests without impacting and his opponent punishing us on the outside.

I am desperately trying to remain positive in the hope we can at least get back to our last year's form.
At the moment we are nowhere near that. Our form last year was very good and if not for losing key onballers
in the last few weeks we more than likely would have played finals.

Can we, starting tonight reproduce this? Surely this is not too much to expect.

Come on BLUE BOYS we NEED THIS ONE.

Need Vossy to let the boys play with more freedom/ natural instinct and enjoy their footy IMO.

Paticularly Saad, McGov, Weiters ,Acres, Walshy and Crippa.

Go out and get it done boys. Season still alive and one good win can turn things around.

Last edited:
There are no “should win” games.
Sydney’s form line is about the same as us and they played in a gf last year.

If we win it will be good but losing is a 50/50.

Is the first game we've played Pitto and TDK together...without JSOS? Playing all 3 was madness.

Playing X + JSOS hasn't worked.

I'm quietly optomistic this is the right mix. Insane that we haven't tried it to this point of the season (unless I'm forgetting something).

Good luck this week, Blue Baggers.

Despite our traditional Coll-Carl rivalry, I’m so sick of the Swans being good and really want to see them suffer. And I loathe Papley with a passion. So, for one week only, I’ll be cheering on your boys tonight.

I reckon you’ll get it done. Curnow and McKay should have a field day and take a ton of marks on the undersized Swans defence. Perhaps even as many grabs between them as Darcy Moore took last week!

I’m predicting at least 10 goals between Curnow, Cripps and McKay. Throw in a handful more from Owies, DeKoning etc and that’ll be more than the Swans can handle.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
Bollocks. Cripps hasn't been great but he's still been our best inside mid. He's averaged 15 contested possessions (and 2nd career high in CPs over the season, at 17 per game) and 5 clearances a game in the past 5 games, which is down on his career average but still elite for a mid.

There's no doubt Cripps is down on form and impact outside the contest but he's still an elite inside mid and our best mid. His number are far better than Kennedy, who has 1 game this season with more clearances than what Cripps averages over the past 5 weeks (which as stated before, is a career low period) and only has 2 games for the season with double digit CPs (both 11), while Cripps is averaging 17 per game.

Cripps destruction is being massively overblown, as evidenced by the nonsense statement that Kennedy is looking more likely than him. He's not in Brownlow form and his dynamism outside the contest has dropped a lot, but he's still in the top handful of inside mids in the game and leads the comp in CPs.
and this is exactly why Dow isn't getting a look in, he's listed as Cripps' spare and Cripps has been adequate.

I don’t think Young is dropped for form. There’s no matchup for him.

They’ve got Buddy, Mclean, Francis and Hickey. There looks to be plenty of match ups for a key back If we wanted.

If we didn’t think there was a match up, I would have rather played Young as the full back and Weiters as an interceptor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back