Preview 2023 Rd 11 Carlton vs Sydney Friday May 26 7:50PM @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in:-

IN:
Tom De Koning, Brodie Kemp
OUT: Ed Curnow, Jack Silvagni, Lewis Young

After starting last weekend as sub, George Hewett has been elevated to the starting 22.

Backs:Sam DochertyJacob WeiteringNic Newman
Half-backs:Brodie KempMitch McGovernAdam Saad
Centreline:Blake AcresPatrick CrippsOliver Hollands
Half-forwards:Matthew KennedyHarry McKayTom De Koning
Forwards:Corey DurdinCharlie CurnowJesse Motlop
Followers:Marc PittonetGeorge HewettSam Walsh
Interchange:Jordan BoydAdam CerraMatthew Cottrell
Matthew Owies
Emergencies:Ed CurnowLachie FogartyJack Silvagni
Lewis Young

Last edited:
Maybe a part (and only a part, because there is more to it) for the Young omission has to do with a Weiterbot reboot. "Weiterbot, you're it. You get to command backline. Get to it." Just a random thought...
Young is omitted because he's ******* awful. Not much more to it i'd suspect.

I'm interested in our midfield matchup tonight. There's been plenty of talk about how there's has been softer than wet lettuce inside the contest and they've been bashed in the media for it, so I'd be expecting to see an emphasis on it for them. But even without that, what they do have is speed and run from their midfielders, which could cause us some trouble even if we do win first possession.

We need to be tough on the inside, don't give them a sniff. If they come in hot, stiffen up fellas you've got 5-10 kgs on all their mids. Bully them. If we don't and we do let them compete with us inside, then their run will really be an issue and they'll get outside of us fairly easily as most running midfields do. Our strength needs to be our strength tonight.

Even with that though, Harry and Charlie should DOMINATE inside 50 given their dearth of KPDs. I expect to see Charlie kick 5+. Would be nice to see Harry kick a few as well, if he kicks 4 then Charlie should be around 5, if H goes for 2 or 3 then Charlie could kick 10. Big numbers I know, but a small backline and on a small ground when Charlie is a threat from 60.. there's not many better opportunities for him to go BIG.

Is the 2s game today or tomorrow? I have just had a meeting scheduled this afternoon so would be unreal if i could sit at my desk and stream it.

All this talk about ins and out doesn't fluster me but if they let someone like Parker or goulden etc trot down inside 50 and kick 3-5 goals I will blow a gasket .. it's games like this letting teams fwd mids kick multiple goals kills us .same as before the game you know papley Heeney there two most dangerous fwd don't let them beat you..
With two ruck them undersized around the ground with an underdone ruck we should dominate this side as geelong did ..
if not then coaching group need to seriously look at there midfield tactics ..

Bollocks. Cripps hasn't been great but he's still been our best inside mid. He's averaged 15 contested possessions (and 2nd career high in CPs over the season, at 17 per game) and 5 clearances a game in the past 5 games, which is down on his career average but still elite for a mid.

There's no doubt Cripps is down on form and impact outside the contest but he's still an elite inside mid and our best mid. His number are far better than Kennedy, who has 1 game this season with more clearances than what Cripps averages over the past 5 weeks (which as stated before, is a career low period) and only has 2 games for the season with double digit CPs (both 11), while Cripps is averaging 17 per game.

Cripps destruction is being massively overblown, as evidenced by the nonsense statement that Kennedy is looking more likely than him. He's not in Brownlow form and his dynamism outside the contest has dropped a lot, but he's still in the top handful of inside mids in the game and leads the comp in CPs.
I rewatched every contest Vs the Bulldogs and Cripps got his hands to it 3 x I think. Libba destroyed him ant ground level and Smith destroyed him on the outside.

Jordan Dawson BOG, Steele stopped him 2nd half we stopped, Dunkley BOG.

In 4 losses his man has been instrumental.

I think he has kicked one goal this year and you are telling me he is elite atm.

Couple that with the fact he doesn’t chase or push back, sides have worked out he can be exposed the other way.

He isn’t half the footballer he was last year atm.

I'm interested in our midfield matchup tonight. There's been plenty of talk about how there's has been softer than wet lettuce inside the contest and they've been bashed in the media for it, so I'd be expecting to see an emphasis on it for them. But even without that, what they do have is speed and run from their midfielders, which could cause us some trouble even if we do win first possession.

We need to be tough on the inside, don't give them a sniff. If they come in hot, stiffen up fellas you've got 5-10 kgs on all their mids. Bully them. If we don't and we do let them compete with us inside, then their run will really be an issue and they'll get outside of us fairly easily as most running midfields do. Our strength needs to be our strength tonight.

Even with that though, Harry and Charlie should DOMINATE inside 50 given their dearth of KPDs. I expect to see Charlie kick 5+. Would be nice to see Harry kick a few as well, if he kicks 4 then Charlie should be around 5, if H goes for 2 or 3 then Charlie could kick 10. Big numbers I know, but a small backline and on a small ground when Charlie is a threat from 60.. there's not many better opportunities for him to go BIG.
If teams can congest our 50 on the spacious grounds imagine with our ball movement how congested it will be on the S.C.G. Good luck to the big boys taking a mark in there tonight.

A bit of a line in the sand game for me. As disappointing as it was to watch us roll over so meekly playing dumb footy last week the Pies are a well oiled machine. Sydney are not travelling well and have injuries to 7 key best 22 players. Lose this and we are in a death spiral. Win and maybe it’s the first step on the right path. We really should win comfortably but I have zero confidence we will win and I can easily see them winning.

As much as it would be great to believe our players have learnt their lessons from previous disappointments its probably more likely that Warner, Parker and Gulden carve us up in the middle, Blakey, Lloyd and Florent slaughter us off half back and Papley and/or Heeney kick 3-4 goals. Wouldn’t it be nice if just for once we surprised for the better and showed a bit of resolve?!?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oops! That's a slightly better record.
It's such a dinky little ground that we don't play well, I hope the extra congestion doesn't cramp our style.
It's 5m shorter than the MCG haha. It's always felt much smaller but it actually isn't that small.

It looks worse on TV due to the camera angle.

I rewatched every contest Vs the Bulldogs and Cripps got his hands to it 3 x I think. Libba destroyed him ant ground level and Smith destroyed him on the outside.

Jordan Dawson BOG, Steele stopped him 2nd half we stopped, Dunkley BOG.

In 4 losses his man has been instrumental.

I think he has kicked one goal this year and you are telling me he is elite atm.

Couple that with the fact he doesn’t chase or push back, sides have worked out he can be exposed the other way.

He isn’t half the footballer he was last year atm.
No I'm not. I'm saying he's still elite on the inside, not overall, and was responding to the statement that Kennedy is looking better than him, when every statistic shows him to be leagues below Cripps. Just because Libba, who's having a career best season, and a tagger slowed him down doesn't mean he isn't. Everyone gets beaten, or slowed, at times. Curnow nullified Daicos impact the other day, does that mean he isn't that good? Bont was shut down vs us too, maybe he's actually poor as well.

Loads of the best mids are easily run off. Oliver gets run off easily, Daicos, despite playing half back, has little defensive discipline in terms of his direct opponent, Judd and Ablett back in the day frequently had teams use his opponent to try and hurt the other way.

Martin famously has had a role developed specifically for him to have little input defensively which arguably won Richmond 3 flags and is now a template used for Petracca and De Goey.

All those guys are still seen as great, great mids yet it defensive responsibility only gets mentioned in passing, but for some reason Cripps is routinely whacked for it.

Lewis Young dropped??? When I said the MC had no idea about our best 22 a few weeks back it was tongue in cheek but they really do have no idea. God help us.
Giving up 10cm on Young.

Young has many deficiencies but his length and size make him an above average stopper.

Young has been too busy covering for Weitering. Honestly if you had to pick the worst performed defenders from this year Weitering and mcgovern have been shaky at best.

Snapped a nice goal recently, and we do need more speed, agility and endurance through the middle

Just bring in Cincotta and back in the defensive group
I'm with you on this, Doc isn't a perfect kick. But he loses his man too often in defence and I'd rather the occasional clanger kick further up the ground.
We just need to remove Ed now and play 1 of Kennedy or George.

No I'm not. I'm saying he's still elite on the inside, not overall, and was responding to the statement that Kennedy is looking better than him, when every statistic shows him to be leagues below Cripps. Just because Libba, who's having a career best season, and a tagger slowed him down doesn't mean he isn't. Everyone gets beaten, or slowed, at times. Curnow nullified Daicos impact the other day, does that mean he isn't that good? Bont was shut down vs us too, maybe he's actually poor as well.

Loads of the best mids are easily run off. Oliver gets run off easily, Daicos, despite playing half back, has little defensive discipline in terms of his direct opponent, Judd and Ablett back in the day frequently had teams use his opponent to try and hurt the other way.

Martin famously has had a role developed specifically for him to have little input defensively which arguably won Richmond 3 flags and is now a template used for Petracca and De Goey.

All those guys are still seen as great, great mids yet it defensive responsibility only gets mentioned in passing, but for some reason Cripps is routinely whacked for it.

issue is centre bounces. Around the ground Cripps is fine, but centre bounces his stats aren't significantly better than Kennedy, and worse than Cerra. And yet Cripps has 81% CBA, Cerra 51% and Kennedy something like 34%....In the centre bounces, Cripps opponent is running forward, and cutting us up every week.

What's wrong with my opinion? Are you saying Cripps chases down opposition when they are running more than Dow? No idea how it's a ludicrous comparison as I've never seen Cripps do it.

And I'm more than ok to have a differing view to you J. That shouldn't be shot down or disregard in an open forum

Juddy, you’ve been around long enough to know why I responded as I did.

You are entitled to any opinion you like, but you’re not above gentle reminders of our board rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back