Preview 2023 Rd 21 Carlton vs St Kilda Sunday August 6 3:20PM @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Final Team is in …

2 changes

IN: Fisher
OUT: Cerra (hamstring), McGovern (hamstring)

After starting last weekend as sub, Paddy Dow has been elevated into the starting side.

Backs:Brodie KempJacob WeiteringNic Newman
Half-backs:Alex CincottaCaleb MarchbankAdam Saad
Centreline:Sam DochertyPatrick CrippsOliver Hollands
Half-forwards:Jack MartinCharlie CurnowZac Fisher
Forwards:Jesse MotlopMarc PittonetMatthew Owies
Followers:Tom De KoningGeorge HewettPaddy Dow
Interchange:Blake AcresMatthew CottrellDavid Cuningham
Lachie Fogarty
Emergencies:Jaxon BinnsEd CurnowSam Durdin
Josh Honey

Hawks thrashed Brisbane at the G not long previous. Discussion was about recent form. You must be new but do try keep up.

everyone beats the bears at the G.

about 4 months ago you beat the dogs and Delusiondon.
about 3 months ago you beat GWS away, a month later you got over the swans.

since the first 8 or so weeks your results have been patchy - dropping games to the Tigs, Brissie (Marvel) Dess, scraping past Norf and Eagles and jumping Hawks in the first quarter.

of course form lines can change, of course you might win on Sunday.

but let’s not pretend your last 10 weeks have been anything other than hanging on to a spot earnt through early season victories.

I wonder if we will swap him with Cunners though...in that Cunners plays as one of the main 4 mids and Fish plays the high half forward/pinch hit through the middle role.
Last week we had no Walsh. And Cerra came off half way through game. Dow came on for Cerra.

This game…..

No Cerra/Walsh/mcgov

Dow covered for Cerra last week so I assume he will do the same this week.

Fish is the new in. He isn’t covering for McGovern. So someone will drop back to defence to cover McGovern and I assume this will be doc.

Fish to cover for mid time doc is vacating and rotating through half forward with Dow.

No those are stone cold facts, no convincing required.
Facts:
Beat 16th place thanks to a good 1stQ. Hawks matched you for the other 3Q and kicked 11.8 to your 10.6

Beat 17th place by 8pts (with North kicking a behind right at the end that would've made it 3pts if they goaled) and a lucky goal to Higgins with 4-5mins to go. This result could easily have swung the other way.

Lost to 13th place (22 scoring shots to 11). Goalless in the 1stQ and only managed 2 in a row twice. That's less than 3 scoring shots per quarter against a bottom 6 side.

Lost to Dees - nothing wrong with that.

Lost to 18th by 8pts after trailing for most of the match. Allowing them to kick 56pts in a half (they average 60 per game) and only managing to kick 1 goal in the 4th. Lucky for you guys it was the go-ahead goal. Their average losing margin is 67pts. Their games either side of your 8pt win were 171pt loss and 81pt loss.

7-4 before the bye and 4-4 since the bye.
Try and pretty it up as much as you like, but that post-bye form is mid-table stuff.

Kudos for getting enough wins early in the season to get to 5th spot, but maintaining it has as much to do with every side from 5th to 14th having roller coaster seasons, than you guys being a genuine 5th placed quality side (luck).
Evidenced by the there being as much of a gap from 5th to 14th (2 games) as there is from 4th to 5th.

Last edited:
everyone beats the bears at the G.

about 4 months ago you beat the dogs and Delusiondon.
about 3 months ago you beat GWS away, a month later you got over the swans.

since the first 8 or so weeks your results have been patchy - dropping games to the Tigs, Brissie (Marvel) Dess, scraping past Norf and Eagles and jumping Hawks in the first quarter.

of course form lines can change, of course you might win on Sunday.

but let’s not pretend your last 10 weeks have been anything other than hanging on to a spot earnt through early season victories.
They're 7-8 since winning their first 4 games.
Those 4 wins would've looked reasonable at the time (Freo expected to make some noise, Dogs are always there abouts, Dons expected to make the 8 and there was talk that this might finally be GC's year to make finals).
In hindsight, it's now 15th, 8th, 13th and 14th.

Add that to their other wins and it's:
7th, 17th, 6th, 10th, 18th, 17th, 16th.
They've beaten 3 sides that are currently in the 8, all of them in the bottom half of the 8.
With 7 wins coming against sides that are currently bottom 6.

It's sobering stuff.

I am too. Told my 17 year old son that I was worried about this game earlier today. He looked at me and said "thats because you're a pea heart". Had to laugh. I think I taught him that one.

Spit Take Lol GIF by Justin

Come now people, let's stay level and not get all prelim goal square jigging Chad Cornes.

Focus on the job at hand.

Backs are realistically against the wall here.

This game is well and truly on. I'm in WA but we were at Marvel last year when we played these pretenders.

Do me a favour and make sure I hear every single one of you getting behind our boys through the telly.

Be louder than their fans and bring this muddapukkin game home!

Baggers!

Let's go!

(Insert battle roar and extreme flex emoji)

I've seen a lot in this thread about this new system, new game plan, new team essentially right. So what's the difference, what has changed? I'm curious to know.

As to be following one team earlier in the season, to now be following a totally different team - in the same year mind you! - to be honest seems like a miracle, an act of God almost.

Hawks thrashed Brisbane at the G not long previous. Discussion was about recent form. You must be new but do try keep up.

Well it's not anything yet, because we haven't played. Best not to get ahead of yourselves now, we know how that turns out...

Are you lost!

I strongly dislike the addition of Zac Fisher to this side. I would have picked any of the emergencies over him. Even Ed Curnow who I still believe should have retired in 2021.

Zac is the very definition of a downhill skiier. Turns up and plays well in easy wins against bottom sides but completely disappears when we play decent opposition. Too small. Doesn't tackle. Most of his touches are uncontested. And he simply does not hurt the opposition.

If Josh Honey ends up being sub we're essentially playing two short in the 4th quarter. Better hope we've got the game wrapped up by then.

Could you tell me which players were starring when we were playing poorly?

I mean the 1st encounter against WC, you could classify as downhill skiing for the majority of our players when comparing their form either side of that game

Players look poor when team output is poor and completely different when you are on a run of strong team output

I am too. Told my 17 year old son that I was worried about this game earlier today. He looked at me and said "thats because you're a pea heart". Had to laugh. I think I taught him that one.
We’ve all been scarred AC so for a lot of us the doubts are there … your son god bless is showing resilience exactly what his blues are doing … now jump on board and enjoy this ride with your son … 💪

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly. Let down for the Hawks after a big win (they've since bounced back) and the Sun's are in ripping form.

If anything, we copped WCE (rock bottom after Sydney thrashing, smacked by media entire lead-in), Norf (Ratten narrative, had lost 84 games in a row coming in) and Richmond (were literally in their best form of the year & McQualter honeymoon period) at very bad times this year. Not to mention the new-coach Suns for forks sake.

So your excuse for losing to us would be.. "copped Carlton when they are on their hottest win streak for over 20 years and beat #1 and #2 on the ladder convincingly coming in to the game"

I looked back at Fishers last game for us at AFL level and it was against Melbourne and he was ranked 8th for pressure acts for us with a respectable 16 - so he has the ability to up that to mid 20s to make up for what Walsh and Cerra would have brought. He did only have the one tackle so needs to get better at sticking those but generally he is more than capable of applying pressure.

He’s also shown some flare for effective inside 50 kicks and lowering his eyes more than others. I also heard they gave him 100% midfield time in the VFL last week to prepare him for this so he really has a great opportunity to step up and perform.

I’m backing him to get it done.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Pretty sure a half hearted one armed "tackle" attempt is considered a pressure act.

A pressure act and putting the fear of God into the opposition ain't the same thing. Need the second to get the benefits of inferred pressure even when you aren't near.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

When it comes to St Kilda, I just have the theory that sides are now getting a “new coach bounce.” It happened to us last year, and now St Kilda and * this year. New coach comes in, new game plan, sides are caught unaware and the team goes on an early season rampage. These results fizzle out in about weeks 10-12, when other sides figure out how to play them. And the new coach has only had one preseason with them, so no chance to do much other than coach the one game plan. They therefore don’t have anything to fall back on.

Anyway, back to us. I am happy enough for Fisher to get another chance, and I think he has a role he can play in this team. I also think our injuries mean we won’t go in with any complacency. We will be up for the contest. Go Blues!

He wasn't referring to the odds though, pretty sure the comment was simply a reflection of his perception of the two teams. Which as I see it, is misplaced.
Mighty Saints?
Come at us brother.
angry-cat.gif

I’d prefer him changing off the bench mid - his pressure F50 ain’t great previously.

Hopefully wherever he plays he brings it.
I have been in Fishs corner since he started with us. Has been a slow burn, has played some excellent games. Yet this year he has looked a little disinterested. Always preferred him up forward, just reckon he has good goal sense and a deadly left from around 35 to 40.
I hope he takes full advantage of his opportunity tomorrow and plays a ripping game, we do really need him to.

Our players that I'm not entirely confident about for this match would be...(low recent AFL gametime)

Fish. Can he regain some of his 2022 form and intensity, he's kicking was good as an outside mid?
Marchy. He looked pretty rusty and slowish last week, is a good player, just needs continuity.
Pitto/TDK combo. Pitto's is very slow and struggles to get to contests or impact other areas of the game, think I'd prefer a solo TDK with maybe big Durds assisting.
The mids should be okay with Doc, Dave and Acres lending a hand to Cripps, George and Dow.

Last edited:
Love the addition of fisher .. people forget he can play , just been off a little this year but if he brings the new intensity everyone has been bringing of late .. look forward to seeing him zipping and darting and kicking a few
Agree hopefully he plays ok & re establishes a decent trade value, a few good games will be benefit both parties, Fisher & the Club.

Come now people, let's stay level and not get all prelim goal square jigging Chad Cornes.

Focus on the job at hand.

Backs are realistically against the wall here.

This game is well and truly on. I'm in WA but we were at Marvel last year when we played these pretenders.

Do me a favour and make sure I hear every single one of you getting behind our boys through the telly.

Be louder than their fans and bring this muddapukkin game home!

Baggers!

Let's go!

(Insert battle roar and extreme flex emoji)
kw.gif

I've seen a lot in this thread about this new system, new game plan, new team essentially right. So what's the difference, what has changed? I'm curious to know.

As to be following one team earlier in the season, to now be following a totally different team - in the same year mind you! - to be honest seems like a miracle, an act of God almost.
Almost. :D

Watch closely tomorrow and all your questions will be answered.

Your curiosity quelled.

You will probably be spruiking us as flag favorites after seeing the demolition job we perform on your mob .:thumbsu:

Looking forward to Ross's post-game presser, what will he sook about this week?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back