Preview 2023 Rd 10 Carlton vs Collingwood Sunday May 21 3:20PM @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in ...

IN: Jordan Boyd

OUT: Alex Cincotta

SUB: Hewett

Ed Curnow has been elevated to the starting 22, while George Hewett has been confirmed as starting sub.

Backs:Sam DochertyLewis YoungNic Newman
Half-backs:Mitch McGovernJacob WeiteringAdam Saad
Centreline:Blake AcresPatrick CrippsOliver Hollands
Half-forwards:Ed CurnowHarry McKayJack Silvagni
Forwards:Corey DurdinCharlie CurnowJesse Motlop
Followers:Marc PittonetAdam CerraSam Walsh
Interchange:Jordan BoydMatthew CottrellMatthew Kennedy
Matthew Owies
Sub:George Hewett
Emergencies:Alex CincottaTom De KoningZac Fisher

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our whole rebuild was built on get first round pick in or ex first round pick -get elite talent rest will take care of itself .. we probably only starting to really fully build out the list now - best part is our only opportunity to improve is to develop or find diamond rookies as our salary cap is dictating such -- we have forced ourselves into a position where we must change and seek improvement through organisation which is great .. probably why we only bought in development staff over last off season not direct help for Voss ..
And yet each and every one of the first round picks (high or low end) that needed any particular help developmentally, has been a monumental fail. All either stagnated, or traded for nothing.

Sps, Dow, O’Brien, Cuningham, could throw Setterfield into that group as well really.

I mean Dow and setterfield are two top 5 picks, as pure inside mids. Both were in conversations for pick 1… Who’s the last inside mid who went top 5 who turned out to be a bust? Genuine question because I literally can’t think of a single one. They are almost fool proof as far as drafting is concerned in the top 5 or so of the draft.
But we not one, but two. Within two consecutive years! And yes, I’m aware we didn’t draft Setterfield, but the point remains the same.

I’ve had enough of feeling down from our recent miserable losses…

I’m looking forward to today’s game & see no reasons why we can’t win

Let’s go boys!
Us by 13 points :D

I still can't believe how bad we have been this year. We should be going into this expecting a highly competitve game between two top four teams. We still match up with them extremely well. We should be able to beat them up around the clearances. We should be able to sit back and defend against their run. We should be able to score against them, with big H someone they have no-one to stop. We have almost no injuries. We have a list in its absolute prime...

But...

Something is broken with us mentally at the moment. Think back to round 22 and 23 last year. We were missing key players, on our last legs, and we absolutely threw the kitchen sink at Melbourne and Collingwood. Cripps and Docherty led the way (and had 34 tackles combined in those two matches, along with 118 combined disposals). We straight up beat both of them too, give or take the luck of the draw in the dying secords. Collingwood didn't steamroll us in the last quarter as they have other teams - but they kicked 5.0 to 0.6 and we just missed a couple of chances that would have iced the game. Even after they hit the lead we had Harry naked open inside 50 and screwed up the entry kick... we absolutlely had these guys last time we played.

This year, the most disappointing thing is how checked out our players look. It's like those two defeats, where they put it all on the table and still came up short, have scarred the players and they won't even go there again. Clearly those losses hurt a lot, and psychologically it is a good defence mechanism to just never invest that much. We haven't been competiive in our losses against good teams - not just on the scoreboard (where all four of the teams that beat us have put up a big quarter and created a big buffer) but on the field... it has been EASY to beat Carlton this year. Compare that to even Essendon, who have just been a tough matchup every week... that's what has been so frustrating for fans, I think.

No-where is that more apparent than with our 'captain', Cripps. Last week he had 26 disposals at 40%, laid zero tackles, and his snap shot for goal from 20m out (from a gift of a free kick no less) was the last straw psychologically and broke the game open for the bulldogs.

The sad and tragic thing is that all you hope for from your team is exactly what we saw in rounds 22 and 23 - the right to play good quality opposition, on the MCG, with everythign on the line, and watch them show up, leave everything on the table. Had those losses happened in a preliminary final... we all celebrate how amazing the team was. The REAL damage last year was done in the games against Adelaide, St Kilda, Richmond, in May and June last year, where the team simply didn't show up to play, lost and made those last two rounds so meaningful. The last two matches were fantastic, exciting, exhilirating and disappointing. They just shouldn't have mattered so much...

So back to today: honestly, all I want is for once to just not be embarrassed. For the team to show up, play hard, leave everything on the table and make it really, really tough for the opposition. If we lose to a red hot opponent, so be it. But another 5 goal loss where the team looks checked out pschologically, concedes an early deficit then plays safe to avoid a blow-out... against this rampaging Collingwood and their arrogant, loud supporters?

Deep down inside I suspect that this team hasn't hit rock bottom yet, and we're likely to face a REALLY bad loss - perhaps today, perhaps against Melbourne in a couple of weeks, perhaps Sydney on a 5 day break next week... perhaps even against Essendon? That will either trigger the coach being sacked, or the players to dig deeper, find something, and start a bit of a rally.

But... "Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies". And the conditions are wet (which will hurt Collingwood's game plan), the stage is set... lets just hope they can get back to round 23 last year, put it all on the table and give us all something to cheer as we hit the depths of winter!
These are my exact thoughts, as sobering as they are. Good post.

Around here we seriously underestimate how good we were in those last 2 losses last year.

These are my exact thoughts, as sobering as they are. Good post.

Around here we seriously underestimate how good we were in those last 2 losses last year.
Yeah - and the best thing about those last 2 games wasn't the result, but the fight we showed. No Kennedy, Cerra or Hewitt vs Melbourne, no Walsh/Kennedy/Hewitt vs Collingwood. And we just went to war in both games, brought our absolute best shot.

This year we haven't really even had a match where we competed for the full game:

• Vs Richmond round 1, dominated the first half but kicked 4.6 (uggh). Didn't come out after half time, gave up 5 goals to 1 in the third quarter, then rallied to take the lead, then blew it late
  • Vs Geelong - our best effort. Kicked 1.1 to 3.4 in the last quarter after being 5 goals ahead. Lucky to hang on
  • Vs GWS: Putrid second half, including goal-less third quarter AND again in the fourth, right up until the dodgy free kick decision in the goal-square. Kicked 2.9 in the second half and didn't deserve to win
  • vs North gave up 5 late goals to only win by 23
vs Adelaide: didn't show up, 8 goals to 3 and the game was over by 1/4 time
vs St Kilda: didn't come out after half time, gave up 5 goals to 1 in the third quarter, game over
vs West Coast reserves = training run
vs Brisbane: didn't come out after half time, gave up 5 goals to 1 in the third quarter, game over
vs Bulldogs: didn't come to play, 1 goal in the entire first half. Shocking misses from key players, game really over before it started.

Collingwood are better and more confident now than they were then. But if we just show a little bit of fight across the four quarters we can make it a genuine battle, and I think we would all appreciate that.

That game against Collingwood... we won the contested possessions by an extraordinary 54. We won the inside 50s by 21. We had more scoring shots, including more in the last quarter. Had Charlie Curnow not missed that ridiculous snap around the corner (which would have put us 5 goals ahead and iced their run) we probably win by 40+ points.

We don't need that level of performance today. Just four quarters of effort and endeavour please.

Your on site horsie reporter checking in
LIVE....
HAZZA watch.
He is kicking them through the middle people.
And was with some sort of coach/encourager earlier. ( not near the goals...deep in talk.
Looks good.

Overnout.

Stayed away from here the last week, last week got me good. I don’t think we get the 4 points, I feel bereft of confidence atm. it is a season defining game though, we will know in the first 10 mins what we are in for. Go baggers
First 10?
Probably not.
We'll get it together at some point, even if not the 1st.;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely we outnumber 70-30 in the crowd. It is our home game

Unsurprisingly Cameron is a late change in to the 22 so now it’s Pitto and Young/SOS to take on Cameron and Cox.

So dumb by Voss to telegraph who the sub was 2 days before he had to and now the Pies have swooped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back