Preview 2023 Rd 10 Carlton vs Collingwood Sunday May 21 3:20PM @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in ...

IN: Jordan Boyd

OUT: Alex Cincotta

SUB: Hewett

Ed Curnow has been elevated to the starting 22, while George Hewett has been confirmed as starting sub.

Backs:Sam DochertyLewis YoungNic Newman
Half-backs:Mitch McGovernJacob WeiteringAdam Saad
Centreline:Blake AcresPatrick CrippsOliver Hollands
Half-forwards:Ed CurnowHarry McKayJack Silvagni
Forwards:Corey DurdinCharlie CurnowJesse Motlop
Followers:Marc PittonetAdam CerraSam Walsh
Interchange:Jordan BoydMatthew CottrellMatthew Kennedy
Matthew Owies
Sub:George Hewett
Emergencies:Alex CincottaTom De KoningZac Fisher

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both of our key forward are good below their feet. Especially Charles.

Hopefully stops Collingwoods intercept kicking game through the middle.

We need to run it by hand more…I know this goes without saying.
Best underground footballers in the league

We really need to come out breathing fire from the start today, with strong intent and not let them blow us away and put the game to bed early like what has happened in previous weeks.

If we can somehow get up today, then I think it would be the perfect catalyst to regain belief and confidence to spring board off for the remainder of season

Go blue boys!!

It’s a funny little bias we have for players who show physicality. Never mind if that player can’t run and as a result struggles to run both ways and gets continually run down when disposing of the ball ultimately rushing the kick. That is what we watched for 4 or 5 years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
And yet he slots straight in to a new team seamlessly. Not only that, he looks good 🤔

I have no bias towards him. Even stated I think Cowan will be the better player. I also never mentioned anything about his physicality.

So
BOM forecast is saying no more rain this afternoon
BLUE SKIES?

Confused Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

I still can't believe how bad we have been this year. We should be going into this expecting a highly competitve game between two top four teams. We still match up with them extremely well. We should be able to beat them up around the clearances. We should be able to sit back and defend against their run. We should be able to score against them, with big H someone they have no-one to stop. We have almost no injuries. We have a list in its absolute prime...

But...

Something is broken with us mentally at the moment. Think back to round 22 and 23 last year. We were missing key players, on our last legs, and we absolutely threw the kitchen sink at Melbourne and Collingwood. Cripps and Docherty led the way (and had 34 tackles combined in those two matches, along with 118 combined disposals). We straight up beat both of them too, give or take the luck of the draw in the dying secords. Collingwood didn't steamroll us in the last quarter as they have other teams - but they kicked 5.0 to 0.6 and we just missed a couple of chances that would have iced the game. Even after they hit the lead we had Harry naked open inside 50 and screwed up the entry kick... we absolutlely had these guys last time we played.

This year, the most disappointing thing is how checked out our players look. It's like those two defeats, where they put it all on the table and still came up short, have scarred the players and they won't even go there again. Clearly those losses hurt a lot, and psychologically it is a good defence mechanism to just never invest that much. We haven't been competiive in our losses against good teams - not just on the scoreboard (where all four of the teams that beat us have put up a big quarter and created a big buffer) but on the field... it has been EASY to beat Carlton this year. Compare that to even Essendon, who have just been a tough matchup every week... that's what has been so frustrating for fans, I think.

No-where is that more apparent than with our 'captain', Cripps. Last week he had 26 disposals at 40%, laid zero tackles, and his snap shot for goal from 20m out (from a gift of a free kick no less) was the last straw psychologically and broke the game open for the bulldogs.

The sad and tragic thing is that all you hope for from your team is exactly what we saw in rounds 22 and 23 - the right to play good quality opposition, on the MCG, with everythign on the line, and watch them show up, leave everything on the table. Had those losses happened in a preliminary final... we all celebrate how amazing the team was. The REAL damage last year was done in the games against Adelaide, St Kilda, Richmond, in May and June last year, where the team simply didn't show up to play, lost and made those last two rounds so meaningful. The last two matches were fantastic, exciting, exhilirating and disappointing. They just shouldn't have mattered so much...

So back to today: honestly, all I want is for once to just not be embarrassed. For the team to show up, play hard, leave everything on the table and make it really, really tough for the opposition. If we lose to a red hot opponent, so be it. But another 5 goal loss where the team looks checked out pschologically, concedes an early deficit then plays safe to avoid a blow-out... against this rampaging Collingwood and their arrogant, loud supporters?

Deep down inside I suspect that this team hasn't hit rock bottom yet, and we're likely to face a REALLY bad loss - perhaps today, perhaps against Melbourne in a couple of weeks, perhaps Sydney on a 5 day break next week... perhaps even against Essendon? That will either trigger the coach being sacked, or the players to dig deeper, find something, and start a bit of a rally.

But... "Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies". And the conditions are wet (which will hurt Collingwood's game plan), the stage is set... lets just hope they can get back to round 23 last year, put it all on the table and give us all something to cheer as we hit the depths of winter!

Whilst I agree I moreso think it was just more piss poor development and progression planning that saw a player get moved on by necessity - he no longer wanted to be here. So yeah bad result but I'm more leaning towards the way Carlton develops players, negatively.
Our development is so sub par it’s just sad.

If I take away the self motivators, the ones with real internal drive (Walsh, Weitering, Cripps etc) to be the best they can be. The ones that if you just plonked anywhere, they’d end up just as good.
Then I really struggle to come up with anyone we’ve drafted who needed moulding, guiding, patience, care, insight etc to become a good AFL player.

Mckay perhaps is the closest, and he was a top pick. He’s also got some serious question marks in his game that have gone backwards in his development.
You could possibly argue Curnow at a stretch, but he was a freak talent. Would have gone pick 1 imo if not for injury. He’s also come from an extremely driven family.

Where’s the second/third/fourth rd picks? Where’s the rookie picks? That have come in with some AFL straits, but not the complete package, whether it be physical or mental, needed to be developed and become good AFL players? Not role players, good players.

You look at any half decently run club, even the ones that aren’t performing that well (hawks, Sydney) and they have plenty, half a dozen or so even. I don’t think we have a single player who fits that description.

i think we have it in us to win talent-wise but we're yet to really put a game together apart from west coast and to a lesser extent geelong. i think even a close game will do us wonders and the media (if they're on our back as people suggest) may re-think slightly.
i too have selection doubts, but now that they're playing i hope they do what they're picked to do and if not, the mc also re-thinks.

re: stocker - i think he has benefited from a mitch robinson type of change. stocker spoke of his state of mind, and while i am sure we may not have done the best by him, it's possible also stocker didn't do right by himself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the things I’m pinning my hopes on today is that matches between us and them so often in the past almost seem to operate independently of ladder position. Based on form, the Pies should win today. But I am hopeful our boys can stand up, and find something. Our best footy is good enough to win today. Let’s hope that we can dig deep. Who’s going to step up and be the hero for us?

Our development is so sub par it’s just sad.

If I take away the self motivators, the ones with real internal drive (Walsh, Weitering, Cripps etc) to be the best they can be. The ones that if you just plonked anywhere, they’d end up just as good.
Then I really struggle to come up with anyone we’ve drafted who needed moulding, guiding, patience, care, insight etc to become a good AFL player.

Mckay perhaps is the closest, and he was a top pick. He’s also got some serious question marks in his game that have gone backwards in his development.
You could possibly argue Curnow at a stretch, but he was a freak talent. Would have gone pick 1 imo if not for injury. He’s also come from an extremely driven family.

Where’s the second/third/fourth rd picks? Where’s the rookie picks? That have come in with some AFL straits, but not the complete package, whether it be physical or mental, needed to be developed and become good AFL players? Not role players, good players.

You look at any half decently run club, even the ones that aren’t performing that well (hawks, Sydney) and they have plenty, half a dozen or so even. I don’t think we have a single player who fits that description.
Owies too but by all accounts his internal drive is off the charts.

Owies too but by all accounts his internal drive is off the charts.
Yeh, look Owies perhaps, but like Cottrell, he’s a role player. Like you said, huge internal drive. Still, both would be in the bottom half of our 22.

Take Howthorn for example. Haven’t performed well for a number of years now, and yet off the top of my head:

• Jiath
  • Moore
  • Newcombe
  • Sicily
  • Lewis

I’m sure there’s a couple of others I’ve missed.

All low picks or rookie picks. All developing In a poor side. Most of those guys are absolutely elite and we’d kill for in our side.

We don’t have a single player who fits that mould.

Yeh, look Owies perhaps, but like Cottrell, he’s a role player. Like you said, huge internal drive. Still, both would be in the bottom half of our 22.

Take Howthorn for example. Haven’t performed well for a number of years now, and yet off the top of my head:

• Jiath
  • Moore
  • Newcombe
  • Sicily
  • Lewis

I’m sure there’s a couple of others I’ve missed.

All low picks or rookie picks. All developing In a poor side. Most of those guys are absolutely elite and we’d kill for in our side.

We don’t have a single player who fits that mould.
Our whole rebuild was built on get first round pick in or ex first round pick -get elite talent rest will take care of itself .. we probably only starting to really fully build out the list now - best part is our only opportunity to improve is to develop or find diamond rookies as our salary cap is dictating such -- we have forced ourselves into a position where we must change and seek improvement through organisation which is great .. probably why we only bought in development staff over last off season not direct help for Voss ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back