Centreline:Blake AcresPatrick CrippsSam Walsh
Half-forwards:Jack SilvagniCharlie CurnowJack Martin
Forwards:Lachie FogartyHarry McKayDavid Cuningham
Followers:Tom De KoningAdam CerraSam Docherty
Interchange:Alex CincottaEd CurnowMatthew Kennedy
Matthew Owies
Emergencies:Jaxon BinnsGeorge HewettJosh Honey
Lewis Young

Dow is just one example of the issues we have had this year…poor selection.

Kicking poorly is another example. How a team can all kick poorly collective is a bit strange though. Got to be something more than just ‘we just kicked poorly’….specially when it continues to happen when oppo applies decent pressure.
I dont have a clue really what went wrong with our kicking, its mystifying for sure.
There is no opposition pressure on shots for goal. Thats all between the ears of the kicker. Can but hope their mums (or dads) have cleaned out their ears now.

The Dow thing is Dows problem. No idea why he doesnt get picked but I dont care how much he might percievedly deserve a crack at seniors it
seems unlikely it would have changed the ladder position.

There are no excuses for losing this game. Off the bye, who has been selected. They are still a bottom side struggling to field their best team.

Unfortunately we find ourselves as a bottom side as well. Thing is we shouldn't be.

There are always excuses for a REAL supporter despite the club’s stated expectations for this season.

JSOS for Pitto I get as options aren’t plentiful, but Ed for Cotts has me flummoxed. Why not put Binns in considering he’d be the only first year player out there and the Dawks also plenty of kids with lighter bodies too.

Sad to see but I so want Ed retired so these morons would stop picking him. It’s not “break glass in emergency” with the team right now

How does it make sense that the player that's down on form isn't an autoselection?
Don't like Ed being the break glass in case of emergency option? Find better options, which was my point.
If you're basing an argument on form, please explain the form Ed is bringing to be auto included this week?

It makes perfect sense.
Dow has clearly has had his cards marked & isn't part of our plans.
Hewett is down on form & is potentially carrying an injury.
Your line of reasoning would make sense if it were advocating for someone like Carroll..

Then why kept on playing Newnes last year when he was getting delisted at the end of the year?

I dont have a clue really what went wrong with our kicking, its mystifying for sure.
If it's down to 1 or 2 players, then it's just players being out of form.
If it's the entire team, then it's the coaches fault. They are not correcting their technique or they are not addressing the problem because they have no idea.

We're shallow through midfield, the coaches don't rate Dow & with Hewett down on form, it makes sense why Ed gets games.
Hopefully the LM team can address this.

'The coaches don't rate X' is a sad indictment on the state of the club. In other words, we have players who are part of our club, who the coaches have redlined and won't play under any circumstances - regardless of form, confidence, team needs. They won't play based on the 'now', or the 'future'. They're beyond 'list cloggers' - they're actually 'list zombies'.

That includes Dow, obviously. It also seems to include Binns, apparently, and possibly Carroll. It also includes O'Keefe, who isn't even a listed emergency for a game where it is possible we will have zero ruckmen playing. For most of the year it included Fogarty. It now seems to include Plowman and O'Brien.

Again, this is not a case of players being out of form, of the coaches thinking they need to show more, or just congestion at a given role. It is that coaches simply don't believe they are capable of being on an AFL field. The coaches don't believe in our players: no wonder the group is underperforming

Carlton supporters know there is something smelly about Carlton 2023. We've all watched battling teams - we know what that looks like. This isn't it. Young, developing, or even old and fading teams don't lose week after week by 5 goals while only kicking 8 themselves. Form goes up and down, the players drag themselves up for a quarter or two then lose the plot and get blown out... that's not what we're seeing. We're seeing something much stinkier IMO

This is a huge part of it imo. It's toxic to the playing group to have players there who are isolated and on the outer. It's also toxic to the club to have such a disconnect between the list managers and the coaches - clearly something is massively wrong there.

As I remember it, prolly wrong, but the last time we were in genuine premiership contention was when Judd rocked up. We had the 3 amigos, Fev in stellar form, Ratts our Coach, who everyone from the Bootstudder down to the homeless dude on the street with the Carlton beanie who loved Ed Curnow cheering for us to do well. Cue the tv crew followin a drunk Fev around on Brownlow night, thinkin’ this is Gold, and we go to Gravy. Get rid of Fev, sack our favouritest Coach ever, nobody like’s our new coach, everybody want’s out. Wasted opportunity. Are we there again, with our list?

Fmd - I said that I understand why Ed is getting picked & that I want to solidify our options so we aren't so shallow through the midfield.
Some posters may not want Ed to get a game but that's a different point altogether.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am and always have been. Absolutely love Ed.
He can still tag the pants off any player, and usually contributes and gives a 100 per cent. However, as a replacement for Cotts, not so much. Binns makes a lot more sense.
It would be great to see Binns getting some senior footy but there does appear to be a concentrated effort to develop some of the younger guys at the lower level before introducing them into the senior mix.
See I don't thinks it's understandable at all, and most supporters agree
Ok. Randoms on the internet see things differently to me - not the end of the world.

Curnow being selected is controversial because he has struggled all year. 34 years of age coming off a forced one year layoff would be almost impossible to come back from with any sort of top line football. And it has been proven to be so.

We are not in a position to carry players, it is a time to see who has and who hasn't got it, regardless if we somehow make the finals or not. We need to find an edge for us to have any chance, anyway.

Why not see if Binns can carry his form into the seniors for the last 3rd of the year, or if Dow can add that explosiveness over 4 quarters our midfield sorely lacks.

It is uninspiring seeing the same selections on a monthly cycle, particularly when we are not setting the comp on fire.

Curnow being selected is controversial because he has struggled all year. 34 years of age coming off a forced one year layoff would be almost impossible to come back from with any sort of top line football. And it has been proven to be so.

We are not in a position to carry players, it is a time to see who has and who hasn't got it, regardless if we somehow make the finals or not. We need to find an edge for us to have any chance, anyway.

Why not see if Binns can carry his form into the seniors for the last 3rd of the year, or if Dow can add that explosiveness over 4 quarters our midfield sorely lacks.

It is uninspiring seeing the same selections on a monthly cycle, particularly when we are not setting the comp on fire.
Amen.

IF i am nit wrong we have held 3 emergencies out of the reserves.

We assume Hewitt will be sub and Young is a potential TDK replacement. Honey? Not sure his place here...

There is no opposition pressure on shots for goal. Thats all between the ears of the kicker. Can but hope their mums (or dads) have cleaned out their ears now.

The Dow thing is Dows problem. No idea why he doesnt get picked but I dont care how much he might percievedly deserve a crack at seniors it
seems unlikely it would have changed the ladder position.
But playing Dow this year and giving him a legit shot may have seen his VFL form fully translate finally to AFL and he’s already part of our system and at worst we improve our trade hand.

But playing Dow this year and giving him a legit shot may have seen his VFL form fully translate finally to AFL and he’s already part of our system and at worst we improve our trade hand.
His time will come. Reckon he loves the blues and won't leave. And all this conspiracy stuff is rubbish.

His time will come. Reckon he loves the blues and won't leave. And all this conspiracy stuff is rubbish.
Self masochistic? He was potentially pasked to be traded last year, hasn’t played a full senior game all year and when sub seems to be grudgingly held off being ejected into the game.

First team that guarantees him a running string of games starting shot in the ones to kick off 24... Ariba ariba andele

Just on the actual game analysis Hawthorn are trying to play more of a clearance game than the game style we saw when we last played them which was pressure to create the turnover and then rebound.

In a lot of ways they learning to play under Mitchell in reverse to the way we have been learning to play under Voss in that we were more attack first and then trying to add defensive transition has followed.

Pittonet and possibly TDK being out is important as they are both effective centre bounce rucks but both have limitations impacting the game around the ground although TDK is slowly showing signs.

That said it’s not insurmountable even against Reeves who is a good tap ruck because our mids showed against the Suns they can win clearances even when the opposition ruck is winning the tap.

Also neither Reeves nor Meek are aerobic beast or push forward hard so even if we have Young and SOS we might be able to get by provided the mids bring the same movement they did against Suns.

Hawthorn have played well this season so we will have to play like we did against the Suns or it could be a long afternoon but if we do get on top we could win well with our bigger fitter bodies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back