Preview 2023 Rd 10 Carlton vs Collingwood Sunday May 21 3:20PM @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in ...

IN: Jordan Boyd

OUT: Alex Cincotta

SUB: Hewett

Ed Curnow has been elevated to the starting 22, while George Hewett has been confirmed as starting sub.

Backs:Sam DochertyLewis YoungNic Newman
Half-backs:Mitch McGovernJacob WeiteringAdam Saad
Centreline:Blake AcresPatrick CrippsOliver Hollands
Half-forwards:Ed CurnowHarry McKayJack Silvagni
Forwards:Corey DurdinCharlie CurnowJesse Motlop
Followers:Marc PittonetAdam CerraSam Walsh
Interchange:Jordan BoydMatthew CottrellMatthew Kennedy
Matthew Owies
Sub:George Hewett
Emergencies:Alex CincottaTom De KoningZac Fisher

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 20, 2007
Geelong
AFL Club
Carlton
Carlton-vs-Coll.png

What better than coming off consecutive losses to top four teams?
Knowing that awaiting next is the bitter enemy which happens to be sitting pretty in top of the ladder and condemned us to missing the finals through a heartbreaking loss in round 23 last year.
Looking at the positives, there was a 20-minute patch against the Bulldogs where we moved the ball efficiently and effectively. We have no major injury concerns and our defence is generally standing up well.
The negatives are that our midfield is struggling for scoreboard impact, our skill level is well below standard and we are getting well beaten on the outside of contests.
Worse luck … these are all areas the Pies are great at exposing.
They run the ball with ease and precision through the middle of the ground, have a watertight defence and have class and skill through the midfield.
Keys to winning;
Don’t let Darcy Moore mark the ball. He’s the best reader of the ball in the competition. Maybe Jsos to play a defensive forward job?
Forward pressure is essential. Daicos and Noble running the ball from defence without pressure is a recipe for disaster.
We should be able to get the ascendancy in the contested game - Pittonet to give Cripps, Kennedy, Walshy first use by owning big Mason. De Goey is a real key and changemaker - not sure we have the match up through the middle.
Make our hard work worth it. Improve our delivery forward of centre and convert our chances. Unfortunately easier said than done as recent weeks has shown.
Play with dare. Play like we are the underdog. Play like we must against the arch enemy.
In terms of changes, Hollands was due for a rest … but there’s no obvious replacement.
A great opportunity to turn our season around with a backs to the wall win.

Last time:
CARLTON 0.3 2.5 10.8 10.14 (74)
COLLINGWOOD 3.5 5.6 6.8 11.9 (75)

GOALS
Carlton:
Curnow 2, McKay 2, Motlop 2, Cerra 2, Docherty, Owies

BEST
Carlton:
Cripps, Cerra, Docherty, Curnow, McKay, Setterfield, Young

Crowd: 88,287 at the MCG

Last edited:

This could get real ugly.

All the ammunition in Collingwoods hand on how slow or fast they want to kill us.

They can send us into obscurity

Hard to pick us while being so inconsistent

Not sure what to do with Mots and Durdin, given they aren't a scoreboard threat at the moment, don't apply enough pressure or just not involved enough

Jsos as a 2nd ruck is doing my head in, and still can't be trusted to convert in front of goal

Harry has lost all confidence kicking for goal

Our forward half is killing us

Pies seem to find a way no matter who goes down injured. What're they onto their 4th ruck option now? :/ Am jealous of the seemingly adaptable plug and play system they have. 😔

Edit: Cox is back I forgot but it was like that previously

Hard to pick us while being so inconsistent

Not sure what to do with Mots and Durdin, given they aren't a scoreboard threat at the moment, don't apply enough pressure or just not involved enough

Jsos as a 2nd ruck is doing my head in, and still can't be trusted to convert in front of goal

Harry has lost all confidence kicking for goal

Our forward half is killing us
How are we inconsistent?

We are consistently poor.

Collingwood will thrash us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cripps and Weitering should be dropped with how shocking their form and leadership has been.

Club won't make that call though so I don't know what we can do here.

Pies aren't going to play around with us like the Dogs did.

We live in hope though.

Think it's time to throw some things around

In TDK, Martin, Boyd
Out Jsos, Mots, Durdin

Shift Doc forward, swapping with Gov occasionally

Need better impact types forward. Done with Jsos in the ruck and his level of pressure also doesn't warrant a spot

Realistically, possibly Martin for either of Mots or Durdin

It’s hard to be positive about this one and I usually think we’re always a chance against the old enemy.

The Pies have made an art form of scoring from opposition errors and we make too many of them.

In terms of selections I don’t see any point playing Ed Curnow - not even as the sub - he simply has to go.

There may also a temptation to rush Martin back to replace Motlop who has been dreadful the past fortinight.

I also thought Cincotta was caught ball watching too much tonight so I could see him making way for Boyd.

If I were Dow or Fish I would have asked to play in todays earlier game to press for selection so nobody deserves a spot IMO.

As for the rest I think the only choice is to back in the so called stars namely Cripps, Weitering and McKay to turn it around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back