Preview 2023 Rd 10 Carlton vs Collingwood Sunday May 21 3:20PM @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in ...

IN: Jordan Boyd

OUT: Alex Cincotta

SUB: Hewett

Ed Curnow has been elevated to the starting 22, while George Hewett has been confirmed as starting sub.

Backs:Sam DochertyLewis YoungNic Newman
Half-backs:Mitch McGovernJacob WeiteringAdam Saad
Centreline:Blake AcresPatrick CrippsOliver Hollands
Half-forwards:Ed CurnowHarry McKayJack Silvagni
Forwards:Corey DurdinCharlie CurnowJesse Motlop
Followers:Marc PittonetAdam CerraSam Walsh
Interchange:Jordan BoydMatthew CottrellMatthew Kennedy
Matthew Owies
Sub:George Hewett
Emergencies:Alex CincottaTom De KoningZac Fisher

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the past we have been smashed by their intercepting defenders. Moore, Murphy, Maynard have taken the game away from us. IMO we need to keep Curnow and McKay deep, keep them dangerous and make sure they aren't stationary. Get them on the move and hit them up. Other times we lower the eyes and hit up the other forwards. Owies, Silvagni etc need to be leading up and leading up a little higher.

I think Ed Curnow takes on Daicos. Might see Cottrell there as well. No doubt the plan will be to make him cover a lot of ground defending to take petrol out of his tank for the offensive stuff. Get guys on him who will take him up the ground and push forward hard with speed. Try and run off him and get lose but the main thing is to make him run hard. He's going to switch and try and get off his man when this is happening so going to have to be smart about this and time runs at the right moments.

Collingwood's rebounding and intercepting defence is the worry for us. They play how our defence should be as it has the players but our midfield does not support our backs with pressure like theirs does. I've gone on about this a lot. Too big, too slow and not enough synergy in game plans between mids and backs for us, long story short we don't apply enough pressure to allow our defenders to drop off and attack. Guys like Weitering, Young, McGovern who are intercept defenders going to waste. Would like to see that turn around.

Can we get our contested game going again? We did well last year winning a lot of ball, clearances and contests. If you can't pressure and defend you can make up for it by winning the ball. This is our go IMO.

Collingwood's forward line is hard to shut down because it doesn't have any dominant forwards, it has a lot of good forwards who can kick goals so you never know who to double team and who to put more effort into shutting down like with our forward line. IMO they probably go to Miohcek and Cox a fair bit but they also like to target Johnson as well.

The midfield, I would put a bit of work into DeGoey and you have to play someone close to Pendlebury but the rest you just play footy.

We need to do it a bit different in the midfield. If a player is getting tagged as Cripps often does we need to make it hard for that player. Put bumps and blocks on and really go after the tagger. If Cripps is getting tagged he needs to change his tactics, get on the move, also try and run different angles at stoppages, looks to come out the back at times, mix it up. But if Cripps is off someone needs to tell him that we're going to look for other players more. Lets get him forward of centre more, stay middle a bit and look to go long to him more, we seem to have gone away from that and are neglecting his marking ability. Our slow no risk ball movement has a lot to answer for as it's a reason why. We have a tall strong marking midfield, we should be willing to go quickly and long to one on one involving Cripps and Kennedy etc.

Half forwards Cottrell and Curnow are elite runners and they need to run their opponents off their legs. Seeing as we don't have natural half forward flanks we need to use the strength of these guys and just have them running their opponents ragged. Might take the rebound out of their game a bit.

Looking at both sides on paper. The Backline is similar quality, the centre line is similar quality. Our two tall forwards are better than their tall forwards but as a whole their forward line looks a lot better than ours. The other issue is form. Most of our top end players are in dreadful form compared to them where most of that team has form. Weitering, Young, McGovern, Saad, Cripps, McKay, Motlop, Silvagni, Kennedy and Hewett are all down on form, they have all player better football. Unfortunately this is to greater number of players to be playing poorly and it's too much of our top end. Unless this changes we are not going to win this game.

In the past we have been smashed by their intercepting defenders. Moore, Murphy, Maynard have taken the game away from us. IMO we need to keep Curnow and McKay deep, keep them dangerous and make sure they aren't stationary. Get them on the move and hit them up. Other times we lower the eyes and hit up the other forwards. Owies, Silvagni etc need to be leading up and leading up a little higher.

I think Ed Curnow takes on Daicos. Might see Cottrell there as well. No doubt the plan will be to make him cover a lot of ground defending to take petrol out of his tank for the offensive stuff. Get guys on him who will take him up the ground and push forward hard with speed. Try and run off him and get lose but the main thing is to make him run hard. He's going to switch and try and get off his man when this is happening so going to have to be smart about this and time runs at the right moments.

Collingwood's rebounding and intercepting defence is the worry for us. They play how our defence should be as it has the players but our midfield does not support our backs with pressure like theirs does. I've gone on about this a lot. Too big, too slow and not enough synergy in game plans between mids and backs for us, long story short we don't apply enough pressure to allow our defenders to drop off and attack. Guys like Weitering, Young, McGovern who are intercept defenders going to waste. Would like to see that turn around.

Can we get our contested game going again? We did well last year winning a lot of ball, clearances and contests. If you can't pressure and defend you can make up for it by winning the ball. This is our go IMO.

Collingwood's forward line is hard to shut down because it doesn't have any dominant forwards, it has a lot of good forwards who can kick goals so you never know who to double team and who to put more effort into shutting down like with our forward line. IMO they probably go to Miohcek and Cox a fair bit but they also like to target Johnson as well.

The midfield, I would put a bit of work into DeGoey and you have to play someone close to Pendlebury but the rest you just play footy.

We need to do it a bit different in the midfield. If a player is getting tagged as Cripps often does we need to make it hard for that player. Put bumps and blocks on and really go after the tagger. If Cripps is getting tagged he needs to change his tactics, get on the move, also try and run different angles at stoppages, looks to come out the back at times, mix it up. But if Cripps is off someone needs to tell him that we're going to look for other players more. Lets get him forward of centre more, stay middle a bit and look to go long to him more, we seem to have gone away from that and are neglecting his marking ability. Our slow no risk ball movement has a lot to answer for as it's a reason why. We have a tall strong marking midfield, we should be willing to go quickly and long to one on one involving Cripps and Kennedy etc.

Half forwards Cottrell and Curnow are elite runners and they need to run their opponents off their legs. Seeing as we don't have natural half forward flanks we need to use the strength of these guys and just have them running their opponents ragged. Might take the rebound out of their game a bit.

Looking at both sides on paper. The Backline is similar quality, the centre line is similar quality. Our two tall forwards are better than their tall forwards but as a whole their forward line looks a lot better than ours. The other issue is form. Most of our top end players are in dreadful form compared to them where most of that team has form. Weitering, Young, McGovern, Saad, Cripps, McKay, Motlop, Silvagni, Kennedy and Hewett are all down on form, they have all player better football. Unfortunately this is to greater number of players to be playing poorly and it's too much of our top end. Unless this changes we are not going to win this game.

Forget looking at the lines ..

The difference between the two clubs is game plan and effort. We lack both.

We're actually going OK again with contested footy, 5th in the league. What is showing up is the inside 50s we are 14th, ahead of only GC, North, Hawks and WC. Not giving the forwards enough of a look, system is getting broken down before the forward entries.

Last edited:

So you think Ed's been playing well and deserved a promotion after his game as sub last week?
Ed with or without fresh legs has poor disposal skills
Ed with or without fresh legs is slow
Ed is a tagger...if he's there as a tagger after HT because someone's off the leash, maybe we need to rethink our Q1 and Q2 gameplan DURING THE WEEK, not at HT
Ed either has a specific job or is out of the side
Such a dumb dumb decision to make him sub

Going to be wet not sure who that advantages more.. should neutralise their speed but also makes it harder for our forwards.

Ed with or without fresh legs has poor disposal skills
Ed with or without fresh legs is slow
Ed is a tagger...if he's there as a tagger after HT because someone's off the leash, maybe we need to rethink our Q1 and Q2 gameplan DURING THE WEEK, not at HT
Ed either has a specific job or is out of the side
Such a dumb dumb decision to make him sub

Thankyou finally. It really is amateur hour down at the CFC. How is Curnow even on our list?

Cincotta next to go god knows why. Likely to rot in the twos with Kemp, Dow et al.

Last edited:
I tend to agree, but who of the players that have missed out, that are hard done by or been in strong form?

Especially considering that forward half role

Fisher, Honey? Martin, Cuners injured

Who else

I think I’ve seen you state you would have kept Cincotta in, so wondering if Ed would even need to be replaced by one of the names you mentioned? Ed’s never really been renowned as a half forward.

Surely keeping Cincotta in would have allowed us to be more flexible instead of promoting a Curnow.

Youre asking who that missed out was hard done by or in strong VFL form which is fine, but oir only addition has been out for a very long injury spell and by reports was not good in his only VFL run.

It will be interesting to see how Ed goes but he has been poor.

We're actually going OK again with contested footy, 5th in the league. What is showing up is the inside 50s we are 14th, ahead of only GC, North, Hawks and WC. Not giving the forwards enough of a look, system is getting broken down before the forward entries.
Even so we've won the i50 count and been beaten easily at times.

Football is more of an outside game than an inside game. Contested footy, clearances are important but if your outside game is not great you'll do poorly.

Prime example, Collingwood last year, great outside game, inside game poor but inside game plan supported their outside game with pressure. Top 4. We had one of the best inside games, contested game, clearance game excellent, top of the table. 9th.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope we line up as listed.
Cripps, Cerra and Walsh onball. Weitering CHB. Docherty back.
That would be a good start. I really do hope Ed can stand up and has a job tomorrow.

Even so we've won the i50 count and been beaten easily at times.

Football is more of an outside game than an inside game. Contested footy, clearances are important but if your outside game is not great you'll do poorly.

Prime example, Collingwood last year, great outside game, inside game poor but inside game plan supported their outside game with pressure. Top 4. We had one of the best inside games, contested game, clearance game excellent, top of the table. 9th.
We have the arsenal to be the best contested team in the comp. I don’t want us to shift into an outside team with the talent we have. We just need to be able to match the outside game. Defend the outside and dominate the inside. It should be our mantra.

We have the arsenal to be the best contested team in the comp. I don’t want us to shift into an outside team with the talent we have. We just need to be able to match the outside game. Defend the outside and dominate the inside. It should be our mantra.
This. Flowering this. Thank you.

If our A graders come to play we are very much in this

Confidence makes such a difference

I am expecting the Hyde side of our team tomorrow and look forward to getting it done. Favourites have gone down several times in these rivalry games.

It's a long season and plenty of time to turn things around

Popped my happy pills, hoping they get me through the weekend

Matching the outside game is the trick though since the rule changes- stand rule and 6/6/6 make stoppages less important and fast ball movement and leg speed more important. We are already one of the best contested teams in the comp and it's not winning us games.

I like being a good contested side. I'm all for that but if we aren't good on the outside we will never be any good.

It was more role-based. We have a wealth of half backs (Docherty, Saad, Williams, Newman) who are definitely ahead of Stocker. You can't play Stocker with them unless he has some unique feature that they lack - I personally don't see what that is. Boyd I think would be next just because of his pace and kicking which I think we do lack coming out of the backline.
You know the unique feature he has that they lack? Age.

By the way - Coffield, Wanganeen-Milera, Hill, Sinclair, Clark, Webster, Paton

You know the unique feature he has that they lack? Age.

By the way - Coffield, Wanganeen-Milera, Hill, Sinclair, Clark, Webster, Paton
Hill is not a HB, and no team plays 6-7 HBs in their 22. As I stated before I would have kept him as depth but depth players rarely play 200-games at AFL level for their team.

Matching the outside game is the trick though since the rule changes- stand rule and 6/6/6 make stoppages less important and fast ball movement and leg speed more important. We are already one of the best contested teams in the comp and it's not winning us games.
Winning contested ball is meaningless with the stoppage structures we've been using. Hack kicks are a 'contest win' but they do jack s**t really.

Need to harness the contest wins into an actual real way of moving the ball forward and keeping possession.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back