Preview 2023 Rd 9 Carlton vs Western Bulldogs Saturday May 13 7:30PM @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN: Matthew Cottrell, Matthew Kennedy, Matthew Owies
OUT: Ed Curnow (Omitted), Josh Honey (Omitted), Brodie Kemp (Omitted)

Backs:Lewis YoungJacob WeiteringNic Newman
Half-backs:Matt KennedyMitch McGovernAdam Saad
Centreline:Blake AcresPatrick CrippsOliver Hollands
Half-forwards:Sam WalshHarry McKayJack Silvagni
Forwards:Corey DurdinCharlie CurnowJesse Motlop
Followers:Marc PittonetGeorge HewettSam Docherty
Interchange:Alex CincottaAdam CerraMatthew Cottrell
Matthew Owies
Emergencies:Ed CurnowJordan BoydLachie Fogarty
Brodie Kemp

OUT: Cincotta, Honey, E.Curnow, Kennedy (sub)
IN: Boyd, Binns/O'Brien, Kennedy/Dow

FB:
Newman Young McGovern
HB: Docherty Weitering Saad
C: Acres Cerra Walsh
HF: Motlop C.Curnow O'Brien/Binns
FF: Silvagni McKay C.Durdin

R: Pittonet Cripps Hewett

Int: Kemp, Boyd, Dow/Kennedy, Hollands

Cincotta was not a midfielder, wasn't delivering to the forward line properly, and wasn't defending. He can go back to the VFL and learn the system.

Honey just couldn't win enough contests and kick truly. He can go back and find some intensity.

Ed does plenty right with the footy these days, but isn't applying pressure enough in the roles he rotates through right now. He can have a rest and see if he can build up his running a bit.

Boyd can step in so we have some slightly better ground level defensive coverage.

An outside mid can replace Honey, and even if they can't perform a half-forward role for the team, you can have Hollands or Walsh do that.

An inside mid can replace Ed, and they need to have the ability to rotate even a little through the forward line. If Boyd isn't fit, play both and send Docherty to defence.

No more Walsh at the centre bounce on the regular. It's such a waste of an otherwise elite player. Use Motlop, Kemp, Silvagni, Durdin, and Docherty for different looks.

Pittonet has to get a lot better by foot, and yesterday.

OUT: Cincotta, Honey, E.Curnow, Kennedy (sub)
IN: Boyd, Binns/O'Brien, Kennedy/Dow

FB:
Newman Young McGovern
HB: Docherty Weitering Saad
C: Acres Cerra Walsh
HF: Motlop C.Curnow O'Brien/Binns
FF: Silvagni McKay C.Durdin

R: Pittonet Cripps Hewett

Int: Kemp, Boyd, Dow/Kennedy, Hollands

Cincotta was not a midfielder, wasn't delivering to the forward line properly, and wasn't defending. He can go back to the VFL and learn the system.

Honey just couldn't win enough contests and kick truly. He can go back and find some intensity.

Ed does plenty right with the footy these days, but isn't applying pressure enough in the roles he rotates through right now. He can have a rest and see if he can build up his running a bit.

Boyd can step in so we have some slightly better ground level defensive coverage.

An outside mid can replace Honey, and even if they can't perform a half-forward role for the team, you can have Hollands or Walsh do that.

An inside mid can replace Ed, and they need to have the ability to rotate even a little through the forward line. If Boyd isn't fit, play both and send Docherty to defence.

No more Walsh at the centre bounce on the regular. It's such a waste of an otherwise elite player. Use Motlop, Kemp, Silvagni, Durdin, and Docherty for different looks.

Pittonet has to get a lot better by foot, and yesterday.
I like your changes however O'Brien would have been absolutely bullied and intimidated by The Fierce tackling that at times bullied all of them..... I've never seen that strong midfield get so intimidated since they were recruited and assembled and leaving Kennedy out of that starting midfield/22 was it a mistake and he was not frightened to impose himself

Weiters hasn’t been any good since he’s busted his shoulder vs the Pies. Can be a very lazy footballer.
Couldn't punch properly with his left hand when he came back because he was favouring the elbow that looks like it might have been subluxed slightly dislocated.... The fact that it was our defender Kemp that smashed into him from the side and brought down both of them allowing the ball to run on over the back is telling..... I like Brody Kemp's willingness to commit and have an attacking mindset however so many times he absolutely overcommitted and the ball he let over the back which was easily just run into goal

Like to see

Newman Young Gov
Doc Weits Saad

Walsh Cripps Acres
Pitto Cerra Hewett

Fisher McKay Silvagni
Durdin Curnow Motlop

Kennedy ... ... ... (sub)

I'd really like Doc as an extra midfield option but those other defensive options aren't quite satisfactory yet for a team looking to win grand finals and the whole backline really loses leadership and setup without him down there.

I think Hollands has been impressive for an 18yo but impressive for 18yo won't win you a grand final. We are blessed for inside midfielders, we will get more from Kennedy inside mid and Walsh wing than we get from Walsh inside mid and Hollands wing. Sacrificial for Walsh a little bit but to the betterment of the team. Acres needs to fix his disposal on the other wing.

The last 3 bench spots and sub I'm not fussed (until Martin comes back or Marchbank can prove he is back to near his best). Owies probably when he comes back with most pressure on Fisher to keep his spot in my side above - unless you could play Fisher closer to goal and he can bring more than Durdin/Motlop. But theres a handful of blokes in the mix for those spots which ultimately won't make much difference to our succuss. Apart from Jack Martin, who isn't a forward flank despite regularly playing there but is a midfielder. Theres limitations due to his size, but at full flight he offers something different to the rest of our midfielders. He doesn't need to spend all game in there, but he can be a key point of difference spending more time in there than on a forward flank when he comes in. And yes, also need him not made of teflon.

Not sure why Hewett would be dropped. Killed Neale in the first half/3 qtrs.

In: Owies, M.Kennedy
Out: Curnow, Honey

Only other one might be Boyd for Kemp but those stat lines not bad

Doc back and Cerra spending stints as the high half fwd. Walsh pure HHF

Cripps 80%
Hewett 80%
Kennedy 80%
Cerra 60%
Walsh 0% (High half fwd playing basically all game)

Not sure why we havnt seen this when this seem to work last year

Hewett to Bont
Hewett to Bont could result in the single biggest pantsing every seen. Bont would destroy him, he would rotate from killing him in clearance & spread to then moving forward and kicking 4.

Hope they make a statement and drop Cripps for Dow. Reward effort, stop playing a name. Cripps was horrible last night.
Dow won’t get named, even if he did he needs Crippa &/or Kennedy in the middle with him to have the greatest effect. Crippa has to manned up at CB/ball up/throw in it then gives Dow space to work & clear it to the outside. Hopefully Kennedy plays 2s and we see how they work together

Boyd would feature in any side I selected. Then I’d instruct the rest of the team to get it in his hands so he can kick the ball on their behalf. Not that I am relying too much on a guy with less than ten games 🤣

IMHO, Kemp overcommitted in a number of contests, gave Gunston way too much room early on. Was slightly better 2nd half, but positioning was still poor, so was his handovers

Newman had a mare, same with Weitering
Our handovers in general have reached comical status really. They rely on it SO much they leave guys in open space repeatedly. Doc’s ‘handoff’ of Bailey in the 3rd was under 9 stuff. None of them seem ever to be determined to stay on their man. Newman just allowed Cameron to wander to the front of the pack on his own in the third. He wasn’t punished for it but my Lord.

Bewildering rubbish.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMHO, Kemp overcommitted in a number of contests, gave Gunston way too much room early on. Was slightly better 2nd half, but positioning was still poor, so was his handovers

Newman will have week off. Weitering is clearly affected by his off field financial woes, whilst he thinks turning up to work is the best thing for him, he may actually in fact need time off.

Dow won’t get named, even if he did he needs Crippa &/or Kennedy in the middle with him to have the greatest effect. Crippa has to manned up at CB/ball up/throw in it then gives Dow space to work & clear it to the outside. Hopefully Kennedy plays 2s and we see how they work together

If Dow has a cracker in the reserves today & doesn't get named next week after what our midfield served up last night, then the selection process is a joke & really throws into question the ability of those on the match committee.

If Dow has a cracker in the reserves today & doesn't get named next week after what our midfield served up last night, then the selection process is a joke & really throws into question the ability of those on the match committee.
Watch the press conference- Dow could have 45, kick 4 & he won’t be named.
Voss body language is incredible during the presser & he is very clear around our mids

Outs only:

Ed-Homey-Young-Hollands(rest)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Young will be required to play on Naughton. Kept Hipwood to 5 touches in three quarters last night. Weitering couldn’t keep up with Naughton on the lead and is horribly out of form anyway.

No point dropping him though. Needs an extended run at it. Need to find out if he will make it or not. Playing vfl won't help. Learning by playing on a great player like gunston will.

Hope they make a statement and drop Cripps for Dow. Reward effort, stop playing a name. Cripps was horrible last night.
Not sure what type of statement dropping the captain after 1 bad game, for Dow who is a D grade midfielder is, but I'm glad you're not on the selection committee

Watch the press conference- Dow could have 45, kick 4 & he won’t be named.
Voss body language is incredible during the presser & he is very clear around our mids

So what do you believe the current group of mids are doing that Dow cant? If it's defend, then for me that applies to pretty much all our midfielders.

So what do you believe the current group of mids are doing that Dow cant? If it's defend, then for me that applies to pretty much all our midfielders.
I doubt u can find a bigger advocate to playing Dow than me.
Watch the presser when the mid field is raised, Voss won’t play him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back