Preview 2023 Round 7 Carlton vs West Coast Saturday 29th April 7.30PM AEST @ Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN: Sam Docherty, Brodie Kemp, Adam Saad
OUT: Lachie Cowan (managed), Jesse Motlop (suspension), Matthew Kennedy, Lochie O’Brien

Backs:Nic NewmanJacob WeiteringBrodie Kemp
Half-backs:Sam DochertyMitch McGovernAdam Saad
Centreline:Sam WalshPatrick CrippsOllie Hollands
Half-forwards:Ed CurnowCharlie CurnowJack Silvagni
Forwards:Corey DurdinHarry McKayZac Fisher
Followers:Marc PittonetGeorge HewettAdam Cerra
Interchange:Blake AcresAlex CincottaJosh Honey
Lewis Young
Emergencies:Lachie CowanTom De KoningLachie Fogarty
Matthew Kennedy

4flagsin5yrs

Premiership Player
Dec 30, 2020
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Carlton-vs-WCE.png

Preview:

The fragile Blues travel west to take on the crippled West Coast Eagles in Perth on Saturday.

Let’s be frank, it’s a must, must win. A loss will see us out of the eight. A loss would be unacceptable.

The bookies say it’s highly unlikely to happen (a loss that is): 1.23, 4.20. And yep, gamble responsibly.

Most are expecting a swag of changes to our 22/23 – but Voss and the MC have been surprisingly loyal (conservative) to too many in my opinion.

Young Jesse Motlop is a forced out with suspension.

Adam Saad is a test, but he should be rested and prepped for the next 6 weeks of tough matches. A long flight west and back – no thanks.

There have been a swag of players who have persistently underperformed in the 1s – and given there’s a swag of players in the 2s who have performed well – it’s time for a handful of changes….

This is my opinion only of course – my ins and outs would be:

1682570189464.png

Frankly, those six have given so little the past few weeks, no one could argue legitimately.

Player by player:

Kemp: he’s earnt his go with repeated top notch efforts in the 2s (vs. the Tigers 2 weeks ago, 31 disposals, 11 marks). This lad is oft touted as the next Kouta.

He’s big and very athletic (192cm, 89kg but I reckon a tad taller). Whilst he appears best suited behind the ball, he is a threat aerially anywhere frankly.

And a surprising turn of speed.

Some are suggesting Cowan should be rested – I don’t have a strong opinion.

But I would have Kemp and Guv switching between HB and HF. Guv forward certainly changes the make up of our forward half significantly – he beats any 3rd or 4th tall 1 on 1 every day of the week. Straight swap for JSOS.

Dow: the premier mid in the VFL – racking up close to 40 disposals regularly and kicking a few snags to boot. Gives us a different look out of the centre square too. Against the weakened WCE midfield, time for Paddy to shine!

Working harder defensively too. Straight swap for Ed C.

Binns: (straight swap for LOB, but in the 22 imo)

Can play HB, wing or HFF. Is deceptively quick, he’s agile and invariably uses the ball well (plays like a footballer despite being a fine athlete). Like Hollands, runs hard all day too.

Carroll: In for Fisher (or Mots)

Can play that HFF role, but also run through the middle a bit. Has started to find some form this season and he’ll relish heading home (an old East Freo lad).

37 touches against the Zebras screams pick me!

Being a left footer gives us a different look too.

Boyd: Is he ready for senior footy after only 1 game back post a serious foot injury?

Had 21 touches against the Zebras and will be better for the run – with Saad likely out, Jordan’s preparedness to create run & carry is a must.

Will the open spaces of Optus.

Fogarty: Straight swap for Honey

Fog is something of a forgotten man, injuries aside, he’s always been an almost type player, but you know you’ll always get effort out of this man.

And he’s been in fine tackling form.

Carroll may be the sub.

As for the outs, JSOS the only one who might be said to be ‘stiff’ but his job is to kick goals and that miss…..man!

Should TDK play? No in my opinion – give him a run in the 2s.

The decimated Eagles:

This was their team last week and their Captain Shuey will be an important out.

1682569647990.png

Their injury list is prodigious, though they’ll likely get Hurn back for Saturday's game.

Names that are missing – Yeo, Natanui, McGovern, Sheed, Cripps, Ryan – to name but a few. And Rioli’s gone too.

Gaff and Kelly are both in fair form.

Barrass aside, that’s a very thin backline. And the reason, coupled with a weak midfield, why they’ve conceded the most points against this season (an average of 108 a game!).

Jones offers good run off HB (as will Hurn too if picked), but it’s a short back line too – Barrass stands 197cm then Rotham at 193cm will likely play on Charlie.

They do have competent forwards in Darling, Allen and Waterman - so limiting supply will be critical.

Samo’s there too…. gulp.

Pitto should be able to manage Bailey Williams without too much problem.

They went ok against Port, but it’s fair to say Port were stuck in second gear after leading by nearly 50 not long after half time.

The history: WCE vs. Blues

The Blues play well in the West.

We have a strong supporter base in WA thanks to many old Blues’ players coming from there – think Hunter, Blackwell, the ‘Buzz’, Clape, Mike Fitzpatrick etc. etc.

In 2022, we blitzed them by 10 goals – 5 goals each from the twin towers but a 7-goal last quarter papered over some cracks frankly, with West Coast really testing us in the 3rd quarter.

How do the Blues Win?

(note, this is not rocket science)

1. Take the game on – be brave, be bold!
  2. Move the ball with vigour and intent (tempo footy is fine, at times).
  3. Execute basic skills well.
  4. Get numbers around the ball.
  5. Stick tackles.
  6. Small forwards front and centre, not on the wing!
  7. Don't play Matt Kennedy on the HB line.

We should have too much quality across the park and with the addition of some much needed speed (Dow, Boyd, Binns and Kemp) we might even move the ball quickly!

The forecast is terrific – 21 degrees, sunny with light winds.

Prediction: Blues by 45.

Last edited:

Changes won’t matter till Voss is gone
Surely he's not stubborn enough to keep forcing dreary football without any form of connection between lines. He's probably got this season to show.hr understands how to implement a football structure that flows from defense to the midfield and from the mids to the forwards.

We've been waiting for cohesion since 2016 and we still don't have it

Clubs have worked out if you flood Carltons backline , then we can't find a decent way to our twin towers.
Time to change the game plan Voss and co

Time to make our midfielders dangerous. We are so predictable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OUT: E.Curnow (rest), Pittonet, Fisher, Honey
IN: Dow, TDK, Saad

FB: Cowan Weitering McGovern
HB: Newman Young Saad
C: Acres Cerra Hollands
HF: Motlop C.Curnow Walsh
FF: Silvagni McKay C.Durdin

R: TDK Cripps Hewett

Int: Dow (70/30 mid/fwd), Kennedy (50/50 mid/fwd), Cincotta, O'Brien (attacking wing/Fisher role)

EMG: Carroll, Pittonet, Binns, Kemp

Dow and Kennedy to rotate inside mid, HF, FP, freeing up Silvagni and Motlop for stoppage minutes, Walsh to not appear at more than 5 centre bounces
Hollands, Acres, and Walsh to take defensive wing duties
Motlop, O'Brien, Durdin, Kennedy to take high half forward duties
Saad, McGovern, Cincotta to make most of the attacking runs from defence
TDK to be given Kreuzer highlights video to study
Kreuzer to actually teach something

Int: Dow (70/30 mid/fwd), Kennedy (50/50 mid/fwd), Cincotta, O'Brien (attacking wing/Fisher role)

Dow and Kennedy to rotate inside mid, HF, FP, freeing up Silvagni and Motlop for stoppage minutes, Walsh to not appear at more than 5 centre bounces
I am keen to see Dow given a go….but not on that ground over there. He hasn’t sorted his two way running enough IMO.

Mind you could he be worse than any central mid we have bar Walsh?

LOB?

I am keen to see Dow given a go….but not on that ground over there. He hasn’t sorted his two way running enough IMO.

Mind you could he be worse than any central mid we have bar Walsh?
Correct, so you bring him in as a reliever in the system to keep everyone fresh, and have him also free up Motlop, Silvagni, and Durdin to do more of their best work in midfield. Kennedy can also help there.

You rely on Kennedy more as a forward rotation than Dow, but you can have Dow still spend 30 minutes off mostly half forward, often running into the centre bounce to bring an extra number as an attacking option. If that takes him from 70% to 85% game time, that's a huge win.

With a little more pace and more dynamic stoppage and ball movement, the extra midfielder opens up the forward line to the seasoned forwards while putting decision making pressure on the defence.

I think it's an exciting way to inject some different looks into the stoppage, while giving a huge opportunity for O'Brien and Walsh to do their best work. Long term, I see Motlop as a stoppage mid that pushes forward.

FB: Newman - Weitering - Young
HB: Cincotta - McGovern - Boyd

C: Acres - Cripps - Walsh
OB: Pittonett - Kennedy - Cerra

HF: Fisher - McKay - Motlop
FF: Durdin - CCurnow - Silvagni

Interchange: Dow (OB), Hollands (W), Cowan (D) and Kemp (U)

INS: Boyd, Dow and Kemp
OUTS: ECurnow, Honey and Hewett/Kennedy

Dow is in a tough spot. If anything we're still too slow and his inclusion would only magnify that. Played a great game today though.

Carroll, Binns and Kemp for me to come in with Saad if he's good. Would give Boyd another week in the magoos.

Cowan, Curnow, LOB and Fisher out for me.

Clubs have worked out if you flood Carltons backline , then we can't find a decent way to our twin towers.
Time to change the game plan Voss and co
We have to get our faster players fit. No other game plan is going to work until we can create some havoc by breaking up play, making them leave their outnumber etc.

Dow is in a tough spot. If anything we're still too slow and his inclusion would only magnify that. Played a great game today though.

Carroll, Binns and Kemp for me to come in with Saad if he's good. Would give Boyd another week in the magoos.

Cowan, Curnow, LOB and Fisher out for me.

Dow is slow ? He has deficiencies but slow isn’t one of them

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back