2023 World Athletics Championships (Budapest)

Remove this Banner Ad

I had the SBS coverage on TV and - with my VPN set to Vietnam - watched the entire Discus final on my laptop.

If you use a VPN and go to the World Athletics YT site there are live streams of all field events. Not sure if these might also be available on SBS-ondemand.
Thanks, I'll try the VPN. SBS On demand just has each day's sessions (what I've been watching) and highlights.

I had the SBS coverage on TV and - with my VPN set to Vietnam - watched the entire Discus final on my laptop.

If you use a VPN and go to the World Athletics YT site there are live streams of all field events. Not sure if these might also be available on SBS-ondemand.
What is the link for the World Athletics YT live stream channel?

I went to their main YT channel and couldn't find the link at this site.

I clicked on the Live tab and only get old live events archived.

Thanks, I'll try the VPN. SBS On demand just has each day's sessions (what I've been watching) and highlights.
SBS on Demand has a Daily Hub link eg Day 4 for yesterday and sometime tomorrow morning will have Day 5.

At each Daily Hub, they have a full replay of the morning (if there is one that day, there wasn't for Day 3 and Day 4) as well as a full replay of the evening sessions, a 1 hr highlights video of the evening session, and some individual events replay that go between 1 and 5 minutes.

Finally got to see Kurtis Marschall vault. Easily cleared 5.70 on his first attempt after cleared 5.35 and 5.55. Should qualify as 8 are left at 5.70 in his group, 5 have cleared it and 3 still trying, and in other group 6 have cleared 5.70 amd 3 still trying. Ranked 5th in the world this year and his SB of 5.95 is 4th highest for the year.

Kelsey-Lee Barber is in trouble. Was ranked 8th at end of 3 throws in Group A 59.66m. Group B goes in about an hour and I can't see only 4 there throwing 60m to advance.

Bloody hell Kelsey-Lee Barber has just scrapped into the final finishing 12th. Can't believe only 4 in Group B threw more than her 59.66m including McKenzie Little who threw the longest and an auto qualifier with her 3rd throw of 63.45m. All 3 Aussies into the final on Friday evening Budapest time.

Last edited:
Lucky escape for Kelsey.

Funny that 'old' Kath Mitchell qualified with her first throw. But the double World Champion threw sub-par and for a while the current Australian Champion looked even worse. lol - sport, hey?

Three Aussies now in a WC final which doesn't happen very often - especially in field events.

And all of them have a chance.

Men's Long Jump, late into the 3rd attempts of Group B, 2 Aussies Christopher MITREVSKI and Liam ADCOCK were =12th with jumps of 7.99 then Jamaican Gayle leap over them with a 8.12m and pushed them out of the final.

Kurtis Marschall qualified easily clearing everyone of his 4 jumps last being 5.75m. nobody attempted the auto qualifying height of 5.80m.

1692789219004.png

Lucky escape for Kelsey.

Funny that 'old' Kath Mitchell qualified with her first throw. But the double World Champion threw sub-par and for a while the current Australian Champion looked even worse. lol - sport, hey?

Three Aussies now in a WC final which doesn't happen very often - especially in field events.

And all of them have a chance.
True, but the same 3 made the final in Tokyo, although Little was never a show then, more making up the numbers as she had minimal international experience.

Well done Nina Kennedy on Gold in Pole Vault and a PB

Cleared 4.80 first attempt whereas Moon missed her first try at that height but they share the gold because Nina missed her first attempt at 4.75 even though Moon skipped that height

Both get gold but reckon sole gold should have gone to Nina but them the rules

What a great comp. So many PBs, NRs & SBs at the top of the list.

Nina's 8cm improvement in one comp was amazing enough. 13cm would be just about unheard of at these upper heights though she was pretty close on two attempts.

Nina Kennedy!! That was fantastic.

I'm probably becoming a bit of a softie in my old age but I don't mind the shared gold medal.

Not sure why I feel this way, but I think a shared Gold has more substance than going back down a measure and having what amounts to the equivalent of a penalty shoot out. Especially in pole vault, which is an incredibly taxing event, the idea of just jumping till one of the competitors physically cracks doesn't seem like an appropriate way to decide the gold. I know that sounds weird because that's more or less what is happening when you go up the heights... but (to me anyway) it feels a little empty when you're doing that at a lower height than the athlete's best performance of the night... Not sure if I worded that right and even if I did others may feel that it should be a shootout for the gold.

Anyway, that was a great pole vault competition and Kennedy was so close to taking it on her own. Moon's clearance 4.90 was extremely lucky and despite Kennedy having a pullout at 4.95, her other two attempts were much better than Moon's. No doubt there will be some hero (or heroes) out there online suggesting it was a hollow gold because it's shared, but they can go EAD.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nina Kennedy!! That was fantastic.

I'm probably becoming a bit of a softie in my old age but I don't mind the shared gold medal.
Slightly related to this but I felt something similar with the qualification to the women's 100m final. The British woman and Ewa Swoboda both had the exact same semi-final time and they were looking at going down to the thousandth of a second to decide who took the last spot in the final. In the end they let both run and why not? after all there's a spare lane not being used

Great effort by Nina Kennedy to keep clearing the bar with world and olympic champ following her all the way. And pretty good coverage by the world feed. Helped there were only two races near the end of the night but got to watch Kennedy's 3 clearances at 4.75, 4.80, 4.85 and 4.90 as well as Moon's and their failed attempts at 4.95. 4 PB's inc 2 National records jumped and a series of season bests.

1692848950506.png

Last edited:
Burkina-Faso have had a great return from their athletes. Sent only 2 and they produced the following;

Gold in men's triple jump to Huges Fabrice Zango
7th in women's long jump Marthe Koala. I did giggle a bit when I saw her name on her bib when watching the qualifying round.

I had never heard of Burkina-Faso until 25 years ago, when they hosted and made the semi final of soccer's African Cup of Nations when I heard a BBC World Service sports report about how they advanced to that stage and how well they had hosted the Cup. They lost the SF and bronze medal game. Ever since then, I always look out for them at the Olympics and athletics world champs as well as at the African Cup and World Cup qualifying games. They lost the final of the African Cup in 2013 and made the semis again a couple of other times in the last decade, but have never qualified for the World Cup.

Last edited:
Kurtis Marschall
The South Aussie 2018 Comm Games champ keeps rising up the world rankings. Must now be a chance for a podium finish. What exceptional vaulting by our Nina Kennedy unable to be separated from the Olympic champ for the world title.

Last edited:
Is Stewart McSweyne a chance in the 5000m after being reinstated to the final. Is he also racing the 1500m.

Is Stewart McSweyne a chance in the 5000m after being reinstated to the final. Is he also racing the 1500m.

Very unlikely unless someone else other than him sets a fast pace and he can wind-up from 800m out. He already ran the 1500 where he set a good pace in his prelim and got swamped.

Aussie girls couldn’t get the baton around in the 4x100 AGAIN…

To be fair, it was not the top team we were hoping for with two fairly late additions due to injuries (one just this week). They would have needed a National Record to even make the final which was very unlikely from this squad right now.

Bree Masters ran a very good 2nd leg but Kristie Edwards couldn't get the baton from her cleanly.

At least, unlike the AUS men, they managed to qualify for the WC.

Once again the women have flown the flag for Australia, winning all three medals so far (and a chance of two more in the HJ).

Kurt Marschall is the only male with a medal chance and - after a rough few years - I have my fingers firmly crossed.

Once again the women have flown the flag for Australia, winning all three medals so far (and a chance of two more in the HJ).

Kurt Marschall is the only male with a medal chance and - after a rough few years - I have my fingers firmly crossed.
Last Aussie male to win a WC medals was in 2015 Jarred Talent in 50km walk and a few days earlier was Fabrice Lapierre in the long jump.

After Little's bronze in the javelin its 9-0 to the women between 2017-23 inc. Too many footy codes pinch the good blokes to build depth.

And with the new women's codes wanting/getting more money, this will sadly repeat for our promising women athletes.
Olympic team sports will feel it the most.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back