2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

How a does a club justify picking up a guy that treats women like s**t. His career is done

There will be lots of PR spin about how he's learned his lesson and mended his ways, and thus deserves a 'second' chance. That the club will be keeping a close eye on him, and so forth.

In theory, I support these things. People should be given a chance to redeem themselves, and given an opportunity to make good with their lives afterwards. I know I've ****ed up in my life and needed some forgiveness at times, even when I didn't always deserve it, so I support extending that grace to others.

But we all know that, most likely, the AFL/club media units PR spin will really mean "We know he's an arsehole, but he's a good enough player that we're willing to take a risk on keeping his crap under wraps while he wins us some games".

That is how he'll get on a list again.

I just hope that it'll be a couple of years away, and that it wont be us.

One of the AFL’s most sought-after out of contract players, key forward Ben King, is off the trade table after re-committing to stay with the Gold Coast.

King has signed a new two-year deal to remain with the Suns and staved off interest from Victorian clubs trying to lure the athletic tall back home to Melbourne. St Kilda, where his twin brother Max plays, have long spoken of a desire to unite the brothers at Moorabbin.

Collingwood and Sydney also remain in the market for quality key forwards after both made pitches for high-flying Bulldogs key forward Aaron Naughton.

The Suns confirmed the re-signing to this masthead.

Both the Suns’ list boss, and King’s manager Robbie D’Orazio were comfortable with the two-year deal, despite a trend for emerging players to commit to long-term contracts. King will be eligible for free agency when next out of contract at the end of 2026.
The decision by King to re-commit continues a trend for the Suns in managing to re-sign the players they want to keep after a period of bleeding elite talent out of the club. Izak Rankine, who left at the end of the 2022 season to return home to Adelaide, is the only player in recent years whom the club was desperate to keep but unable to re-sign.
The decision also reinforces the excitement in the playing group engendered by the arrival of triple premiership coach Damien Hardwick.
The Suns’ new style of play under Hardwick, with a strong Richmond flavour of a more open forward line and faster ball movement – albeit far from bedded-in yet on the evidence of their first practice match against the Brisbane Lions on Thursday night – should favour the athletic tall forward.

Taken at pick No.6 in the 2018 national draft, King has played 73 games and booted 129 goals for the Suns since debuting in his first season in 2019. He missed the 2022 season after doing his ACL and needing a knee reconstruction.
He had a minor knee issue at the end of last season and missed the final three matches but is fully recovered and will be set to play against Richmond in the club’s season opener.

While I dont think we were ever sure how long Berry's contract was when he was recruited from the lions. But going by this, it was a three year contract, with it expiring end of 2025

Gold Coast is on the brink of re-signing co-captain Jarrod Witts in a move that will make backup Ned Moyle one of the key targets for clubs attempting to poach rival ruckmen this season.
Exceptional in the opening round win over Richmond, and while he turns 32 in September, Witts shows no signs of slowing down at a club that has also recruited No. 9 pick Ethan Read as a long-term ruck prospect.

Witts will push for a two-year deal – or a one-year deal with an attainable games-based trigger for a second season – and talks are progressing well.

Given his form and longevity, a new contract will be rich reward for a player who has given exceptional service to the Suns.

Meanwhile, Moyle, 22, will have to consider his options at season’s end after being chased by at least six clubs last year.

He eventually stayed at the Suns, despite an astonishing VFL finals campaign that saw him win 48 hitouts against Carlton, 49 hitouts against Box Hill and 73 hitouts in the grand final win over Werribee.

In the club’s first premiership at any level, 20 of those hitouts were to advantage. Moyle also won 23 clearances across those three finals.

He still needs to work on his endurance after two AFL games in 2023, but in a league where clubs so often poach rival ruckmen rather than draft them, Moyle will be a player to watch in 2024.

The Suns are attempting to turn 202cm academy tall Ethan Read into a centre-halfback given the ruck logjam and he is in the selection mix for an early-rounds debut.

Charlie Ballard and Sam Collins are holding down the key defensive spots with Mac Andrew also unable to win opening round selection in a sign of the Suns’ embarrassment of defensive riches.

Gold Coast will again attempt to secure a classy running halfback this off-season but their key defensive stocks are stacked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd 100% still take him, 2 goals and 16 touches of the pill. Stick him on a HFF and watch him get to work.
He slowed down, does not defend, liability in Dimma's pressure system, definitely not amigo, haha. In 12 months, he will be 33 years 8 months old.

Last edited:
I'd 100% still take him, 2 goals and 16 touches of the pill. Stick him on a HFF and watch him get to work.

I’m also still in. Think of the tickets sales

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He slowed down, does not defend, liability in Dimma's pressure system, definitely not amigo, haha. In 12 months, he will be 33 years 8 months old.
He's never been a mid that defended, and Dimma never had a problem with it. I guess because of the impact he has forward of ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back