2024 Ladder Prediction

Remove this Banner Ad

Can’t see it.
Lack of small forward and wing depth.
Team gets younger, meaning inexperienced.

One thing that bothers me. Pearce. How can we trust a guy like him to stay fit and not have back up.

The depth at the club is horrendous.
100% agree. That's why Hamling was so critical. I'm a big Pearce fan, and thrilled he's strung 2 seasons together, but after him the cupboard is bare for Key Defenders. Draper and Davies are a long way off yet. Dont want to throw those poor kids to the wolves.

We now play with 3 key talls in Treacy, Amiss, Jackson. That gives 4 spots for the remaining small/medium forwards.
Walters, Frederick, Switta, Sturt. Then Banfield, Emmett, Fyfe as depth. It may also provide more opportunity for Erasmus to try out HFF and hide his kicking?
I remember not so long ago complaints about too many small forwards being shoehorned into our side.

No actually my hate boner for Bell, you know, the guy who handles all player contracts and negotiations, is based on us losing 8 players in the last two seasons.
Doesn't David Walls handle all player contracts and negotiations?

Doesn't David Walls handle all player contracts and negotiations?
No. Peter Bell is in charge of playing contracts and negotiations. He's the one who decides how much each player is worth. Hence why when every player was asked about their contracts on OBYB or the likes, they would all joke about asking Peter Bell.

No. Peter Bell is in charge of playing contracts and negotiations. He's the one who decides how much each player is worth. Hence why when every player was asked about their contracts on OBYB or the likes, they would all joke about asking Peter Bell.
Tbh that sounds like it should come under the List Managers role.

Bell talks like he thinks everyone else is stupid!
Oh we don't think many people have left. We lost Cerra, and got Amiss etc.
Amiss is and was a baby, great player, but Cerra is a top line midfielder just like Neale

Last edited:
We will beat the Cats, Swans and the Dees the first 3 rounds, get our hopes up then lose every game for the rest of the season.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We will beat the Cats, Swans and the Dees the first 3 rounds, get our hopes up then lose every game for the rest of the season.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
If we beat those three teams in the first three rounds, there's no way we go on to miss finals

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last year I predicted we would miss finals and Carlton would make the 8. A lot of you weren't happy with that prediction but here we are. For the 2024 season prediction, I will take a "what we see is what we are going to get" approach. This year we finished 14th so I will predict a small improvement in our ladder position, finishing between 10-13. This is on the back of
  • marginal improvements to the game plan
  • more experience into our players
We have lost two b22 players and we still have a conservative coach. If players like NOD, Chappy and Brayshaw can capture their best form than we will be a sneaky chance of making finals. Sturt, Treacy and Emmett will also need to lift their game to make us competitive. As you see a lot needs to go right for us next season which is why I would cool on the finals expectations.

Last year I predicted we would miss finals and Carlton would make the 8. A lot of you weren't happy with that prediction but here we are. For the 2024 season prediction, I will take a "what we see is what we are going to get" approach. This year we finished 14th so I will predict a small improvement in our ladder position, finishing between 10-13. This is on the back of
  • marginal improvements to the game plan
  • more experience into our players
We have lost two b22 players and we still have a conservative coach. If players like NOD, Chappy and Brayshaw can capture their best form than we will be a sneaky chance of making finals. Sturt, Treacy and Emmett will also need to lift their game to make us competitive. As you see a lot needs to go right for us next season which is why I would cool on the finals expectations.
Can’t disagree more, our coach is conservative but by the end of the year we were playing some good football, Young moving to the midfield, the emergence of Johnson, Wagner playing the creative HB role while Clark played lockdown (with far more offensive threat than Walker) Amiss and Treacy starting to click, Sturt starting to deliver on all that potential. We literally lost to Brisbane by 3 points while playing Corbett instead of Darcy.
I reckon we’ll play finals next year.

Edit: not to mention the return of Chapman to the starting 22.

With Schultz gone I think that lowers Freo’s ceiling a bit. I’ll say 12th. Freo is definitely better than WCE, North, StK, Essendon, Richmond, and Hawthorn. Probably on par with Gold Coast, and Bulldogs are a candidate to drop further down the ladder IMO. Can’t see Freo’s improvement outpacing any other teams’.

Here is Dwayne Russell’s top 50 players for 2024 only list:
1 – Toby Greene (GWS)
2 – Marcus Bontempelli (Western Bulldogs)
3 – Nick Daicos (Collingwood)
4 – Christian Petracca (Melbourne)
5 – Charlie Curnow (Carlton)
6 – Zak Butters (Port Adelaide)
7 – Jack Viney (Melbourne)
8 – Jordan De Goey (Collingwood)
9 – Errol Gulden (Sydney)
10 – Tom Green (GWS)
11 – Jeremy Cameron (Geelong)
12 – Harris Andrews (Brisbane)
13 – Tom Stewart (Geelong)
14 – Lachie Neale (Brisbane)
15 – Sam Taylor (GWS)
16 – Charlie Cameron (Brisbane)
17 – Joe Daniher (Brisbane)
18 – James Sicily (Hawthorn)
19 – Dustin Martin (Richmond)
20 – Darcy Moore (Collingwood)
21 – Josh Dunkley (Brisbane)
22 – Sam Walsh (Carlton)
23 – Nick Blakey (Sydney)
24 – Shai Bolton (Richmond)
25 – Josh Kelly (GWS)
26 – Tim English (Western Bulldogs)
27 – Patrick Cripps (Carlton)
28 – Jordan Dawson (Adelaide)
29 – Tom Liberatore (Western Bulldogs)
30 – Clayton Oliver (Melbourne)
31 – Oscar Allen (West Coast)
32 – Noah Anderson (Gold Coast)
33 – Luke Jackson (Fremantle)
34 – Jack Sinclair (St Kilda)
35 – Will Day (Hawthorn)
36 – Zach Merrett (Essendon)
37 – Caleb Serong (Fremantle)
38 – Jacob Weitering (Carlton)
39 – Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (Western Bulldogs)
40 – Max Gawn (Melbourne)
41 – Steven May (Melbourne)
42 – Connor Rozee (Port Adelaide)
43 – Jai Newcombe (Hawthorn)
44 – Rowan Marshall (St Kilda)
45 – Tom Papley (Sydney)
46 – Mitch Owens (St Kilda)
47 – Izak Rankine (Adelaide)
48 – Aaron Naughton (Western Bulldogs)
49 – Stephen Coniglio (GWS)
50 – Luke Davies-Uniacke (North Melbourne)

If he’s right, we are a long way off the pace.

1 – Toby Greene (GWS)
10 – Tom Green (GWS)
15 – Sam Taylor (GWS)
22 – Sam Walsh (Carlton)
25 – Josh Kelly (GWS)
35 – Will Day (Hawthorn)
45 – Tom Papley (Sydney)

Mate, these types of lists are created by media personalities to get the people talking. I wouldn’t pay attention to it.
In any case, creating top 50 lists is as subjective as you can get. Just look at us here on our board. Different people rate different players

1 – Toby Greene (GWS)
10 – Tom Green (GWS)
15 – Sam Taylor (GWS)
22 – Sam Walsh (Carlton)
25 – Josh Kelly (GWS)
35 – Will Day (Hawthorn)
45 – Tom Papley (Sydney)

He's not right, typical moron Victorian basically making a list of his favourite Victorians with a few token non vics.

100% agree. That's why Hamling was so critical. I'm a big Pearce fan, and thrilled he's strung 2 seasons together, but after him the cupboard is bare for Key Defenders. Draper and Davies are a long way off yet. Dont want to throw those poor kids to the wolves.
Well it's the dead straight opposite of 2012-15. We had quality and depth in the tall defender stocks in McPharlin, Zac Dawson, Michael Johnson and Silvagni.

Up forward, we barely have anything besides an ageing Matty Pavlich.

Right now.... We have a good list of tall forwards 190cm or taller in Luke Jackson, Matt Taberner, Jye Amiss, Josh Tracey and Sam Sturt.

Our tall defenders are scarce out side of Alex Pearce and Brennan cox. Draper and Davies have to be at worst rotated off the bench next season.

Well it's the dead straight opposite of 2012-15. We had quality and depth in the tall defender stocks in McPharlin, Zac Dawson, Michael Johnson and Silvagni.

Up forward, we barely have anything besides an ageing Matty Pavlich.

Right now.... We have a good list of tall forwards 190cm or taller in Luke Jackson, Matt Taberner, Jye Amiss, Josh Tracey and Sam Sturt.

Our tall defenders are scarce out side of Alex Pearce and Brennan cox. Draper and Davies have to be at worst rotated off the bench next season.
Yep, true, though i'm not sure I agree about a "good list of tall forwards" more a list with potential. I wouldnt call Jackson a forward - yet, although he may play a lot there. He's not a natural forward and has very hard hands. Lots to learn. I'm a Treacy fan, but still lots of improvement in him too. I'm a Sam Sturt fan as he's a natural forward, but he's only 190cm, so not a hulking tall. Tabs when fit is great but I think he's past it now, can't get his body right, he'll be good depth for us though. I think we have a forward line with potential, but we need to improve a lot. Amiss and Sturt are our only 2 really natural and dependable forwards.

And while we're on Sam Sturt - we need to sign this kid quick or he'll go the way of Lachie Schultz. I honestly think Sturt will be the cream in the forward line when Amiss and his sidekick (whoever that is - Treacy/Jackson/another?) start to dominate games. Sturt is the Gunston type who doesnt need many touches to impact, but in a poor performing team aka Fremantle, is a scapegoat. He's in the Amiss mould - just super natural up forward, and we need to lock him in, or he'll be another loss to us next year. He's shown us what he can do at his best, and he's been on the list a few years, we've put lots of development into him and need to reap those rewards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back