List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Remove this Banner Ad

I mean, at least it doesn’t currently sound like we’re limiting our search to that, if the reports we’re in the race for Clug and Perryman are correct? Also Oliver last year

But yeah, traditionally that seems to have been our strategy, apart from the odd unrealistic godfather offer (Dusty, Jezza)

Where’s the coherency in approach?

We identified a young, explosive midfielder as such a list need that we offered a crazy bounty for JHF; and then when we came up short pushed our attention to guys like Redman and Petty.

We have no plan

Perhaps re weekend result but Petty at 800 x 5 PLUS 1-2 first rounders wasn’t a smart trade (if that’s what was being discussed as widely reported). Despite Curtins growing pains and inexperience - contrary to what so many were sprouting only a few days ago about playing elite talent even earlier than 3 games in SANFL after injuries - hopefully he fulfils his undoubted long term potential. Would much rather Curtin than Petty personally
Let's hope so, we just need to figure out how to play him. Right now he's a defender not at AFL level, definitely needs to be pushed up the ground, or played loose in defence.

A lot said about Curtin in the mid, but we need to remember he was a defender in the u18s carnival last year, and played on Jed Walters on the WA v Allies game.

Nothing wrong with players having to do it the hard way when breaking into the AFL, they are not all sunflowers.

Personally I'd be happy in we get Petty 2026 as a FA.

Are we the only club to have never signed a RFA?

We identified a young, explosive midfielder as such a list need that we offered a crazy bounty for JHF; and then when we came up short pushed our attention to guys like Redman and Petty.

We have no plan
We do, you said it in a previous post.

SA players, able bodied, breathing.

We should start drafting for needs.

We have no plan
I wouldn’t be surprised if we’re stashing an amount of money for if/when a midfielder comes up (Clug/LDU or otherwise), whilst also looking to add generally to our 22. I’m guessing we’ll have quite a bit of cap opening up over the next two seasons, so that multiple players can be added

We still need talent on many lines, so I can definitely understand going for the Hayward/Redman/Perryman types. Not so much Petty

Have we ever shaken anyone loose? It’s only ever been SA boys returning isn’t it if they are prominent players?
We have been better at targeting players out of favour at other clubs when it comes to non-South Australians.

Hopefully this trade period the cash can be an influence for us.

Have we ever shaken anyone loose? It’s only ever been SA boys returning isn’t it if they are prominent players?
Seedsman probably the only one of note in more recent times.

We have no plan

Rebuilding a squad. You have to get as much talent in as you can - it all helps. So you try and be strategic but you also try and maximise how much quality you can get across the board

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I wouldn’t be surprised if we’re stashing an amount of money for if/when a midfielder comes up (Clug/LDU or otherwise), whilst also looking to add generally to our 22. I’m guessing we’ll have quite a bit of cap opening up over the next two seasons, so that multiple players can be added

We still need talent on many lines, so I can definitely understand going for the Hayward/Redman/Perryman types. Not so much Petty

That sounds like WarChest 2.0 (c)

Though in truth it’s more like WarChest 1579.0

Rebuilding a squad. You have to get as much talent in as you can - it all helps. So you try and be strategic but you also try and maximise how much quality you can get across the board

That’s the opposite of team building. It’s random, chaotic and unstructured

Exactly what you shouldn’t do when resources are finite and you have competent opposition

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Likely those key guys are on percentage of cap deals so their deal rises when the cap does (so when cap goes up 30% next year they get that on their deal)
I would hope - and feel like I read somewhere - that Essendon West Coast and Adelaide had done quite well in that area to create more space

I think it was said really clearly when Rankine was signed that he WASN'T on a percentage of the cap rise deal

It seems a lot of people on this board have forgot that neither Rozee or Butters were playing midfield until year 4. Rozee only went in there after they got thrashed by Carlton at the MCG, it didn’t happen at the start of year 4.
They weren’t rebuilding though

Born in Port Lincoln but moved with his mum as a baby and grew up in Kalgoorlie. Went back very briefly as a young teen but then moved to Melbourne where he played state underage footy for Vic Metro. If State of Origin was a thing, depending on rules at the time, he'd either qualify for WA where he lived most of his life prior to being drafted or Vic, where he lived the last 3 years before being drafted. Not SA at all. Had never lived in Adelaide prior to being drafted so not even remotely 'coming home'.

Born in Port Lincoln but moved with his mum as a baby and grew up in Kalgoorlie. Went back very briefly as a young teen but then moved to Melbourne where he played state underage footy for Vic Metro. If State of Origin was a thing, depending on rules at the time, he'd either qualify for WA where he lived most of his life prior to being drafted or Vic, where he lived the last 3 years before being drafted. Not SA at all. Had never lived in Adelaide prior to being drafted so not even remotely 'coming home'.
But he’s got family here doesn’t he?

SA link though.

It’s much like how we get our coaches. Most have some link to SA- born here, played here, bought a frog cake once.

They weren’t rebuilding though
It seems like we're rebuilding but feel we need a certain degree of stability

Young team overall so can't afford to also rotate a number of young players through the middle at the same time.

ROB, Laird, Crouch, Dawson (previously Keays) gives the coaches a feeling of stability, which leaves one inside mid spot to rotate Rachele/Rankine/Soligo through. Younger players left to develop in more peripheral roles.

Soligo's emergence to genuine full-time inside mid has taken time away from Rachele.

Same down back. Young defence overall, so in the coaches' minds can't afford to lose Brodie so will ride out his form fluctuations, push through injury.

Up forward won't hand over full responsibility to Thilthorpe/Fogarty by giving Tex rest games/periods. Still need Tex as the centre piece of the attack with others trying to develop around him.

This approach has kept us relatively competitive.
We've seen some good football from some veterans and great from others (Tex)

Has it stalled the development of some younger players though?

Certainly don’t

Rachele has better kicking efficiency, similar score involvements. Is elite for metres gained for his current position and statistical better than Rozee at the same age in pretty much every category

Meanwhile Connor is above average in a number of stats - he is a gun - but only rated elite in 1, free kicks for!!

Rachele needs to continue to develop clearly to equal or top Rozee - who is an out and out star

But at the same stage he is tracking just as well

I just don't see 'star' in Rachele. I don't see many more gears.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back