MRP / Trib. 2024 - MRO Chook Lotto - Carlton Tribunal News & Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Four games is right and proper.

Game has evolved; head is sacrosanct, as it should be. Game physicality doesn’t absolve players of a duty of care. And ‘it used to be accepted’ or ‘it’s part of the game’ is no longer a rational justification.

EAD Carey.
Yes the game has evolved, so it should have unfortunately the pace of change is a little slow. One can only shudder at the massive injuries endured by some of the past players, quietly. If these brutal collisions don’t stop, next progression will be the sending off rule it may take a few years yet.

That photo of Cunninghams face at the moment of impact is something else. Some of the sporting photos with recent digital equipment have been incredible.

How many times does David Zita have to say "AFL got what they wanted"

David, it was always a 3-5 week suspension
Because the AFL wanted 4 weeks at a minimum. Essendon asked for 3. Pretty clear I would of thought.

Yes the game has evolved, so it should have unfortunately the pace of change is a little slow. One can only shudder at the massive injuries endured by some of the past players, quietly. If these brutal collisions don’t stop, next progression will be the sending off rule it may take a few years yet.
Yep.

I’m likely less flippant of this impact nowadays since I have a kid who aspires to play. Adds a personal dimension to it that I struggle to untangle from my love of the game (and its physicality).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like Buckleys comments in regards to Wrights actions, if Wright was playing the ball, he would have had his hands out to mark or to spoil.

Plowman had his arm out to spoil, made not a jot of difference…
The game has changed, and not for one second do I think it’s for the better when accidents are no longer allowed with micro second decisions having to be made.
Just wait for it when players stop and pull out, they will be crucified by all and sundry including their teammates and coaches

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The game has changed, and not for one second do I think it’s for the better when accidents are no longer allowed with micro second decisions having to be made.
Just wait for it when players stop and pull out, they will be crucified by all and sundry including their teammates and coaches

I always remember Plowman being a similar situation to Wrights but I could be wrong, I’m not sure why people get upset when an accident is punished, if you assume Wrights action was an accident, then he accidentally knocked someone out, I haven’t seen many saying Wright should have pulled out, just not hip and shoulder someone in the head.

He could have easily gone for the mark or spoil, by going the bump, he showed compared to Cunningham, who the tougher was.

The Plowman decision was a disgrace. It’s analogous to Lynch last year who rightly got off, not to Wright who deserved the 4 weeks. If Wright was going for the ball he would have rotated clockwise to contest, not anti-clockwise.

I reckon all we can expect in this sort of situation is that he doesn't leave the ground.

He shouldn't pull out, or be expected to judge from 20m away who will be first to the ball. He commits and goes hard, that's fine. But he knew he was late before he left the ground, and his "instinctive" actions demonstrate that. He'd already started turning into the bump before jumping. Can still run through the bloke and "make him earn it" if you want, just don't launch off the ground the ensure that the leading point of your mass is most likely going to connect with the other guy's head.

If he'd been half a second quicker and been able to affect a chest-mark, then any incidental contact likely gets written off as an unavoidable accident. He wasn't, so his duty of care was to ensure the contact he did make wasn't high.

Simple as that.

Wright did pull out..
Instead he's being turned into a martyr by some for essentially not attacking the ball, even if only to attempt a spoil.
Frankly, I have had issues from concussion - the idea that a player with a rep for not attacking the ball gets a pass because he opted to wipeout a much smaller player in order to "protect himself" is laughable but hey, to each their own.

View attachment 1952313

This surely can't be deemed high...

Careless - Medium (possibly low) - Body = fine I reckon.

Another thing I'll say on it, if freaking Pendlebury gets away with a fine for whacking Neale in the guts, no way Fog cops a week for this.
Hard to see it not being graded the same as Liam Baker from last week.

View attachment 1952313

This surely can't be deemed high...

Careless - Medium (possibly low) - Body = fine I reckon.

Another thing I'll say on it, if freaking Pendlebury gets away with a fine for whacking Neale in the guts, no way Fog cops a week for this.
Careless, medium, high. One week.
Was clearly just going for a spoil, but it got him in the neck. Neck is high. No avoiding this one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back