Preview 2024 Round 2 Freo v Roos

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Why did Omeara get pulled out? Will he be fit this weekend?

Umfortunetly it makes a lot of sense for Young to go back and Omeara to take his role in the midfield. Young to Ryan's role, Ryan to Omacs role.
The way the midfield went? No chance. No need to do so, with Walker, Davies, Draper there. Wouldn’t touch the chemistry the midfield has at all

Anyone think Fyfe might sit out, Marvel surface has not been good to him over the years, 6 day break with another 6 day break ahead next week. I am not saying he needs a rest, purely the venue but the added factors mean I can see it happening.
Thinking another couple of games out of him for the midfield to gel may be how match selection committee think? Then a well earned break.

he has played full games in the pre-season and I think he really wants to be out there - it's a different Fyfe
Fyfe looked very tired while all the young kids were still running at almost full pace
I can’t believe the fitness Serong and Brayshaw have , they are almost not human .

Fyfe should be managed very carefully but by the same token having him out there the full game was a big part of the reason Serong got 46 touches and was free to moved around as he pleased

North forward line im worried about without Cox/Macdonald…. But is absolutely trivial compared to playing against Port (Dixon/Marshall) and Carlton (Curnow/Mackay). We need Davies or Draper to come in for North to get them up to speed for the next few rounds. Will not surprise if either combination kicks 10 between them.

It's such an insult to a player who puts it all in each week, which is why he is much loved by a lot of Freo fans. To make him a sub in a team full of injuries is taking advantage of his loyal nature. He has joked about being the 'super sub' but it would have to be deflating. Look what happened with Mitch Marsh when people and the media finally started believing in him.
What we don't want is Banners leaving to go to a club where he is guaranteed more game time.
Banfield showed how versatile he is when he was pushed down to cover the backline in the last quarter. He was unprepared for that role and did a great job!
I don't think it's an insult, your part of the team on gameday. It's better than playing for Peel. Banner's versatility is exactly why he's a great candidate every week for the sub role.

The 'standard' set-up for us has been 3 talls for a while, and across the AFL I think you'll find that either 3 talls and 1 ruck or 2 talls and 2 rucks (which often structurally mean one and the same) is more of the rule than the exception.

At times we've left taller medium fwds like Banfield or Sturt to play the 3rd tall role to inconsistent effect, but other than that you'd be hard pressed to find too many occasions recently where we didn't play 3 talls.
That's interesting. I thought it was more a horses for courses thing. Might have a look at this for a bit of fun.

Tall Forwards/Ruck combinations this weekend:
2 Rucks/2 Tall Forwards: Essendon, Hawthorn,
1 Ruck/3 Tall Forwards: Fremantle, Port Ad, Western Bulldogs (if you count Lobb as a forward)
1 Ruck/2 Tall Forwards: Carlton, Richmond, GWS, Nth Melb, Geelong, Gold Coast, West Coast, Brisbane, Melbourne
1 Ruck/ 1 Tall Forward: Collingwood, Sydney, St Kilda, Adelaide

Last edited:
That's interesting. I thought it was more a horses for courses thing. Might have a look at this for a bit of fun.

Tall Forwards/Ruck combinations this weekend:
2 Rucks/2 Tall Forwards: Essendon, Hawthorn,
1 Ruck/3 Tall Forwards: Fremantle, Western Bulldogs (if you count Lobb as a forward)
1 Ruck/2 Tall Forwards: Carlton, Richmond, GWS, Nth Melb, Geelong, Gold Coast, Port Adel, West Coast, Brisbane, Adelaide, Melbourne
1 Ruck/ 1 Tall Forward: Collingwood, Sydney, St Kilda
Your numbers are off. For example, Sydney, Collingwood, Port, GWS, Adelaide were all at 4 total and you have them as 2 or 3. Haven't checked other teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your numbers are off. For example, Sydney, Collingwood, Port, GWS, Adelaide were all at 4 total and you have them as 2 or 3. Haven't checked other teams.
ah poop. Just had a quick glance - I'll check. Think I missed one at Port and may have actually added one at Adelaide. Will amend.

Sydney, Collingwood GWS look right.

Sydney: Rucks - Grundy. Tall Forwards: McDonald.
Collingwood: Rucks - Cameron. Tall Forwards: Cox
Pt Adelaide: Rucks - Soldo. Tall Forwards: Dixon, Marshall, Finlayson
GWS - Rucks: Briggs. Tall Forwards: Hogan, Cadman
Adelaide - Rucks: O'Brien. Tall Forwards: Fogarty

Sydney also fielded Joel Amartey and Hayden McLean who average 197.5cm.

Western Sydney also have Riccardi and potentially Himmelberg

Ash Johnson and Chris Burgess i would also say are playing as tall forwards for collingwood and the crows

Sydney also fielded Joel Amartey and Hayden McLean who average 197.5cm.

Western Sydney also have Riccardi and potentially Himmelberg
You think Joel Amarty plays as a tall forward? Hard to say. I probably wouldn't classify him as one.

Himmelberg is a defender, which probably explains his rebounds and 0.0

I do get your point though. It's probably not as easy as it use to be to pigeonhole them into a set role, especially if you just use height. E.g. Treacy is 193, Cripps is 195. Which one is the for/ruck and which one the midfielder?

Anyway, it was an interesting activity. Don't want it to degenerate into pedantism. The point was that 3 tall forwards isn't the norm. I think we can all agree.

You think Joel Amarty plays as a tall forward? Hard to say

He's near 2m tall and almost all his disposals come from a mark (6 marks, 6 kicks, 1 handball) and he plays forward. I'd expect everyone to label him a tall forward.

He's near 2m tall and almost all his disposals come from a mark (6 marks, 6 kicks, 1 handball) and he plays forward. I'd expect everyone to label him a tall forward.
Sorry, but I think you missed the point. The idea wasn't to hone in on Joal Amarty and start a shitfight. It was to have a look and see if we needed to replace Brennan Cow with another tall forward.

Yep, happened last year at HOME and a lot on this board seem to think we are a certainty.
Yeah we beat the Lions but they seem to be a bit disinterested atm
Roos have so much young talent that one day will click, when it does look out.
Mark my words, this weekend is a worry!!
Would of agreed before seeing rd 1.

We are back. The tenacity in contest is back!

I think it’s payback! Time to bully their mids. Fyfe is that weapon.

Back