Training 2024 training updates.

Remove this Banner Ad

Put Lethal Leigh, Nick and some other shorty like titch in the midfield and game over.

The height thing is rubbish.
Diesel Williams
Except that it's not one midg*t that was being referred to but a 'bunch' of them If it's OK to have an all small midfield, why have we been so keen to pick up Big bodied tall midfielders?

I think his future is wing replacing Sidey.

They won't all make it, but if they did, post Mitchell, Pendles and Sidey, it'd look something like:

Lippa to Sideys wing, Harrison to Lippas half forward pushing into the midfield role. Macrae into the centre square. Sulliva halk back/mid. Allan being prepped to replace Jordy and Demattia being prepped to replace Crisp.
Yeah, reckon you are spot on there.
While nothing is ever guaranteed, but you can start to see what the planning would be for the future.

Anyone remember how long it took for Wilson between when we recruited him until his first VFL game?
I certainly don't remember, but this will give us the answer!: https://www.afl.com.au/news/133595/former-boomer-bounces-to-pies-as-rookie
1712913527588.png
1712914419708.png
1712913729371.png
1712914774581.png

So about 8 weeks between when his signing was announced and when he played his first VFL game.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1712914984344.png

That's about 7 weeks since he was signed.

I certainly don't remember, but this will give us the answer!: https://www.afl.com.au/news/133595/former-boomer-bounces-to-pies-as-rookie
View attachment 1957317
View attachment 1957347
View attachment 1957327
View attachment 1957349

So about 8 weeks between when his signing was announced and when he played his first VFL game.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
View attachment 1957353

That's about 7 weeks since he was signed.
Ah okay, so anytime soon.

DeMattia wont be right next week lol He's prob 3 weeks away. He's doing more drills, but isn't in full training yet.
Well, I did say "If this is to be believed"!! It wouldn't be the first time a player who'd been out injured for a while thought he'd be ready to go before the fitness/medical people felt he was! I'm sure he's just itching to get out there and play.

Well, I did say "If this is to be believed"!! It wouldn't be the first time a player who'd been out injured for a while thought he'd be ready to go before the fitness/medical people felt he was! I'm sure he's just itching to get out there and play.
Yeah, never believe the player lol They would want to play with one arm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The way I see it, after the bounce, our midfield is really the three who started at the centre bounce plus one pushes up into the midfield from defence as does one forward - plus the wings. So 4 different midfield roles really. But even then there's 3 different roles in the centre square.

There are some who only play centre bounce - Mitchell and Finn. Some who can play a couple of different roles - Pendles - behind the pack or centre bounce. Lippa - mainly ahead of the pack, but can play centre bounce and on the wing. Jordy forward and centre bounce. Nick who plays 3. Crisp they use in all 4 from time to time - including wing, but mainly behind the ball and centre bounce. Plus the small forwards sometimes play Lippas role or wing. Sidey and Josh mainly just wing.

It's a flexible group. But if you can only play one of the roles - you've got to nail it or it's tough to get a game. As many of them play their best from the centre square.
Well, there goes our game plan

My extensive notes from training today
  • HH ready to explode
  • IMO, Steene would make a good FF that rotates through the ruck - that means we could keep topping up with mature rucks to do most of the mid work
He is quite a unit
  • Allan is still a bit away but what’s holding him back is touch / game awareness- a few times today his handballs were too hard for the distance required, others were behind or too far in front or too low for teammates. However, I thought he did well in the centre during drills
  • McStay is in great shape…just needs to get that knee better!
  • is it too early (or late) to get on the Parker train?
I think he and Haz could alternate bw wing and HBF / BP
- Hoping Eyre can get his hammies sorted: great size for our backline (and his raking kicks could bypass lines)
Move Moore up forward when Erye gets back :drunk:

My extensive notes from training today
  • HH ready to explode
  • IMO, Steene would make a good FF that rotates through the ruck - that means we could keep topping up with mature rucks to do most of the mid work
He is quite a unit
  • Allan is still a bit away but what’s holding him back is touch / game awareness- a few times today his handballs were too hard for the distance required, others were behind or too far in front or too low for teammates. However, I thought he did well in the centre during drills
  • McStay is in great shape…just needs to get that knee better!
  • is it too early (or late) to get on the Parker train?
I think he and Haz could alternate bw wing and HBF / BP
- Hoping Eyre can get his hammies sorted: great size for our backline (and his raking kicks could bypass lines)
HH wasn't named as an emergency for the Grand Final as random cover. Make no mistake that kid is coming at some point.

We need someone to fill the alliteration hole Steele Sidebottom will leave once he retires.

Training. Open session. Friday April 12th.

Big session for the bye week. The seniors trained for 2 1/2 hrs, even more than those playing VFL on Sunday.

Absent:
Ryan
Elliott
Murphy

Rehab:

Eyre
McStay
Kreuger (just did some walking around, as he came out late in the session)
DeMattia (Did most of the session, but not match play)
Pendles ( Did a fair bit, but no contact)
DC (did some drills, then running with pendles)

There was some general fundamental drills to work on their craft, then they split off into groups. Line groups. Work through ball movement, game plan stuff before doing some match sim.
The seniors did two sorts of match sim, One involving the whole squad, and the other was between themselves once those playing VFL went inside.

In the latter match play, Parker was the only extra one included that stayed out, given he isn't quite playing VFL yet. I hope we see him play soon.

Ned Long was also a guest at this morning's session, much like on Wed. Straight into the midfield rotation.

Midfield:

Bytel (wing)
Carmy (wing)
Allan
Fin
Long
Steene (ruck)

Lippa (wing)
Sidey (wing)
Mitchell
Nick
Jordy
Cox (ruck)
Begg and Steene alt between forward and ruck.
DC was on the sidelines running, so Cox rucked by himself, but he trained with the forwards to begin with.

Sullivan played at half back to allow Long, Allan and Fin to play midfield. Or maybe its for another reason. To see what other position he could play? But given he isn't overly quick, I'm not sure how that would suit him. Guess we'll see come sunday in the VFL.

Fin was really impressive with his transition, quick hands in the contest and on the run.
Allan I thought did pretty well, wasn't always perfect but his strengths starting to come through; but he got caught by Beau, isn't quite strong enough to evade the wrecker lol

I was glad to see Oscar trained fully after he left the track early on Wed, but he performed well, took a really good contested mark up forward against Frampton and a few defenders in a pack. Impressive.

Noble bought his aggressive run and carry through some drills and got his side out of defence with ease.

TJ showed some good intercept marking. I could see him being the next jeremy howe with the way he attacks the contest and flies for marks. Once he bulks up, it'll be a really good player.

Harrison's strength and ability to shift the ball without being caught is starting to become a feature. He has power that I don't think many have yet to see, which we'll start to see in the near future.

Parker just looks a footballer
Sharp, clean - hoping he becomes a centreline / backman
You wouldn't pick he only returned to football this year and can easily see why he was rated a first rounder when he was considered for the draft. Will slot into the VFL HB with a little more conditioning. Another professional we've recruited who has the right attitude. Ryan will have some competition with Jiath and Parker on the team.

Training. Open session. Friday April 12th.

Big session for the bye week. The seniors trained for 2 1/2 hrs, even more than those playing VFL on Sunday.

Absent:
Ryan
Elliott
Murphy

Rehab:

Eyre
McStay
Kreuger (just did some walking around, as he came out late in the session)
DeMattia (Did most of the session, but not match play)
Pendles ( Did a fair bit, but no contact)
DC (did some drills, then running with pendles)

There was some general fundamental drills to work on their craft, then they split off into groups. Line groups. Work through ball movement, game plan stuff before doing some match sim.
The seniors did two sorts of match sim, One involving the whole squad, and the other was between themselves once those playing VFL went inside.

In the latter match play, Parker was the only extra one included that stayed out, given he isn't quite playing VFL yet. I hope we see him play soon.

Ned Long was also a guest at this morning's session, much like on Wed. Straight into the midfield rotation.

Midfield:

Bytel (wing)
Carmy (wing)
Allan
Fin
Long
Steene (ruck)

Lippa (wing)
Sidey (wing)
Mitchell
Nick
Jordy
Cox (ruck)
Begg and Steene alt between forward and ruck.
DC was on the sidelines running, so Cox rucked by himself, but he trained with the forwards to begin with.

Sullivan played at half back to allow Long, Allan and Fin to play midfield. Or maybe its for another reason. To see what other position he could play? But given he isn't overly quick, I'm not sure how that would suit him. Guess we'll see come sunday in the VFL.

Fin was really impressive with his transition, quick hands in the contest and on the run.
Allan I thought did pretty well, wasn't always perfect but his strengths starting to come through; but he got caught by Beau, isn't quite strong enough to evade the wrecker lol

I was glad to see Oscar trained fully after he left the track early on Wed, but he performed well, took a really good contested mark up forward against Frampton and a few defenders in a pack. Impressive.

Noble bought his aggressive run and carry through some drills and got his side out of defence with ease.

TJ showed some good intercept marking. I could see him being the next jeremy howe with the way he attacks the contest and flies for marks. Once he bulks up, it'll be a really good player.

Harrison's strength and ability to shift the ball without being caught is starting to become a feature. He has power that I don't think many have yet to see, which we'll start to see in the near future.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Ned Long picked up. Replaces Carmichael. Knows our system, knows the AFL, has the body and everything else we're after. If we don't, another team will.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Ned Long picked up. Replaces Carmichael. Knows our system, knows the AFL, has the body and everything else we're after. If we don't, another team will.
I hope he gets overlooked in MSD and available to us at the end of the year.
He isnt being talked about as an option, and there will be multiple options for clubs running around in VFL and overage 19 year olds overlooked from last years draft, and there is prob about 13 picks clubs have atm

I hope he gets overlooked in MSD and available to us at the end of the year.
He isnt being talked about as an option, and there will be multiple options for clubs running around in VFL and overage 19 year olds overlooked from last years draft, and there is prob about 13 picks clubs have atm
The MSD is starting to shift towards over-agers, but that is a gradual thing. I guess they look for high ceilings over established names.

Long is a DFA so we can sign him as soon as the window opens. If I were making calls now, Carmichael is cut for Long.

I think his future is wing replacing Sidey.

They won't all make it, but if they did, post Mitchell, Pendles and Sidey, it'd look something like:

Lippa to Sideys wing, Harrison to Lippas half forward pushing into the midfield role. Macrae into the centre square. Sulliva halk back/mid. Allan being prepped to replace Jordy and Demattia being prepped to replace Crisp.
And both Josh and Nick Daicos just exist in a transcendental state of being

I’m beginning to have unreasonable hopes for Oscar. That mark you posted, Jen, was just what McStay does for us. Get to the front, refuse to be shifted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back