Past #24: Levi Greenwood - officially traded to Collingwood FC for pick 25 (2014) - retires rd16 2021 due to concussion symptoms - go well Pig

Remove this Banner Ad

True, but his 'true worth' increased game by game over the year. We were behind the performance curve with our offers it seems.

He hit a flat spot towards the end of the H&A season after Swallow started to get going, it would have been risky to give him a big contract then, but he stepped up in the finals. Players who perform in finals attract a premium, we couldn't have given him a better offer prior to when we did without having that knowledge.

I don't reckon he would get to the Pies in the PSD. Not sure about the ND.

Do we want him if he changes his mind? If we do, I'd go through with the "21 or walk" threat. If not, just take 25 and go with it.

what are the odds that we end up getting pick 21 instead of 25. and Pick 25 ends up being a superstar hall of famer whereas pick 21 is delisted after 2 years.

that would effin hurt!

I don't understand people suggesting we let him go into the PSD instead of getting a top 25 talent in the draft, especially given how good we've been at drafting lately.

No point in being sooks about it.
Take the pick & grab a young gun.

Like a Riggio? :stern look

One school of thought is to make the most of what you can get, another is do not make your direct opposition stronger while making yourself weaker, What message does that send? Our players can pick and choose which clubs to go to and at what price we should get compensated? Trading is a two-way street, ultimately both clubs have to be happy or it is the draft and you can try your luck at where you end up.

I'd rather pick 25 than nothing, however, we do not only bare the risk burden of trying to get an equivalent player, but have lost many years in the player's development. If he has only appreciated in value from pick 32 to pick 25 after what he has shown this year then there is something obviously wrong with the system.

what are the odds that we end up getting pick 21 instead of 25. and Pick 25 ends up being a superstar hall of famer whereas pick 21 is delisted after 2 years.

that would effin hurt!

Don't torture yourself man.

Live in the now.

You know they probably get him anyway?

If Pies come out holding 21 and 25, it would be good to get 21 for Levi.

If there is a stalemate, it's better to have 25 than chuck a tantrum and get nothing over four places in the draft. If you believe four places is huge, then you'd have to concede the 31 spots we'd drop back to our current third pick if we sent him to the PSD would be gargantuan.

You more than likely correct.

And if he got to the Wobblypies in the PSD we've given them Greenhead AND they get to keep pick 25! That's gonna improve them for sure, while making us a heap worse. We HAVE TO take pick 25 and make of it what we can, it effectively is a nice upgrade on our 2nd AND 3rd round picks.

Lets finalise the Coondog for a 4th rounder and then head to Bali for some Bintang-fueled nightclubbery.

Over the course of the free-agency/trade period we'll have made out like bandits IMO if we walk away on that note. A well managed three draft selections and the 2015 North best 22 significantly > than the 2014 best 22. Esp if Petrie & Boomer don't fall of a cliff injury/form wise and Black & Wood launch fit & firing into the year.

how many clubs would have left him uncontracted all year though? Doesn't matter what collingwood are paying him we didn't value his true worth.
The way I see it is that every contract we offered him is what he was worth at the time. His most recent contract offer from us was reflective of his value but other clubs were willing to pay significantly over what he's worth.

The way I see it is that every contract we offered him is what he was worth at the time. His most recent contract offer from us was reflective of his value but other clubs were willing to pay significantly over what he's worth.
Now listen up Geoff. Stop trying to justify your half arsed efforts of signing up Greenwood on BigFooty. Yah better end up with picks 25 and 30 or else. :stern look

Excellent, we get a pick a few spots better than the one we used to get him

And the picks used that dont work out, dont worry

the AFL fives us free picks every year to make up for them.

What sort of player would 16 get us if Greenwood is worth 25?

We really should spend it to replace him, we'd get someone twice as good as Greenwood. Wowee....Wines, Selwood?

Nah didnt think so.

Yeah, nah.

I appreciate the views of some of our more seasoned posters, but sending Levi to the PSD isn't about spite, it's about demonstrating the ease in which we will accept unders from other clubs. We already have a good relationship with most clubs but going forward if we accepted 25 on it's own, I think any future trades clubs will turn the screws knowing we'll take unders on deals.

The other issue is about giving out of contract players the ability to nominate clubs so easily, especially ones that are higher up on the ladder and don't have as much to deal with (surprised how Pickering doesn't take this into account and totally absolves himself of any responsibility when choosing the player's destination club) That being said, Levi's situation could have been avoided (allegedly) had we conducted ourselves better in negotiations. Players leaving hasn't been much of an issue for us in recent history however the closer we get to promised land, the harder it may get to retain players in Levi's situation.

Just my opinion by 25 and 30 for Levi and 36 or PSD IMO.

What's the bigger risk, opening ourselves to be reamed in future trades or missing out on a player with speculative pick that most likely wont be best 22 for a few years? Not a black and white answer but not as simple as 'something better than nothing'. Need to be mongrels off the field as well as on field IMO.

It wont happen the only people who are suggesting this are the disgruntled ones who consider that he should take a bullet himself for the betterment of his mates. It is obvious the old mantra of one team club means less every year & in 2 years it will have nothing to do with playing finals & everything to do with financial security. The landscape has changed & people need to adjust or continue to be disillusioned.
I "Liked" this.
I really hate the message but like the realism and the pragmatism.
Do the best deal we can and move on I reckon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Brisbane’s Jack Crisp has been at the Westpac Centre today according to 1116, undergoing a medical screening with Collingwood as it emerges the talented 190cm midfielder will be the sweetener that helps get the Dayne Beams trade under way.

It is expect that the deal will be a direct trade between the Pies and Lions, with picks 5, 25 and Crisp going to Collingwood whilst the Pies lose Dayne Beams to Brisbane to be closer to his ill father.

Collingwood are expected to on-trade pick 25 directly to North Melbourne in a straight swap that’ll see Levi Greenwood join the Magpies"

Why the hell are we not demanding more than pick 25?

I know, we should be demanding more and should at least demand that pick 36 is upgraded to pick 30, that is effectively only moving that pick up 6 spots so not really asking for that much more.

"Brisbane’s Jack Crisp has been at the Westpac Centre today according to 1116, undergoing a medical screening with Collingwood as it emerges the talented 190cm midfielder will be the sweetener that helps get the Dayne Beams trade under way.

It is expect that the deal will be a direct trade between the Pies and Lions, with picks 5, 25 and Crisp going to Collingwood whilst the Pies lose Dayne Beams to Brisbane to be closer to his ill father.

Collingwood are expected to on-trade pick 25 directly to North Melbourne in a straight swap that’ll see Levi Greenwood join the Magpies"

Because Collingwood are better at what they do than us. Actually most clubs bar Richmond and Adelaide trade better than us.

(Yes I know you beg to differ Kimbo!)

Maybe we are, who knows. And the trade hasn't happened yet.

But if we don't get more, it's probably because Levi may or may not have more years like the one he just had, and Collingwood is risking enough with the contract they offered to get him to move. Because - unlike Beams, and other players who are valued more highly in trades - he has not been pivotal in winning finals and flags, or been very good consistently over several seasons. Until this year he'd have been a middling-late third round pick - a very good season has moved him up considerably to a pick that (with expansion clubs and gift picks) is very high second round.

Maybe we are, who knows. And the trade hasn't happened yet.

But if we don't get more, it's probably because Levi may or may not have more years like the one he just had, and Collingwood is risking enough with the contract they offered to get him to move. Because - unlike Beams, and other players who are valued more highly in trades - he has not been pivotal in winning finals and flags, or been very good consistently over several seasons. Until this year he'd have been a middling-late third round pick - a very good season has moved him up considerably to a pick that (with expansion clubs and gift picks) is very high second round.
I have to agree. His finals series against *scum and the cats were sensational and I'm very sad to see him go but take the 25 and head to the draft.
In a very even draft (with lots of F/S and zone picks already allocated) a smoky will slide to 25.

We won't get more because we have absolutely 0 leverage in this deal. If he was contracted I imagine we would be asking for significantly more but he's not and I sure as hell would prefer 25 over nothing at all and just letting him go to the PSD. Not to mention that I think 25 is perfectly fair for an uncontracted player who has had one good season.

There are two sayings that keep popping into my head when thinking about this situation.

As Kenny Rogers (and some other BF poster about 846 pages back) said, you gotta know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em. We need to fold 'em. The best we can hope for is pick 21 and that seems unlikely.

Also, I'd rather lose the battle and win the war. There comes a time to decide when to make a stand. That tends not to be when you have no leverage on the outcome.

Well played Levi, Pickering and Collingwood. May you forever dwell in the cesspit that is outside the top 8.

This year was a stand out season for Levi and given the timing, I wonder if he was actually playing for a contract with Collingwood anyway. I think Collingwood need to give up bit more than just pick 25.

Am I the only one who thinks pick 25 is fair compensation for Greenwood?

Sure, he had his best season by a long way, but this time last year we wouldn't have got better than pick 65 for him. I'm happy with pick 25, I'd be much happier if he was staying, but pick 25 on it's own is fair.
I don't know if you are the only one, but to me it depends if you think that this season was an anomaly or if it was a breakout season and a sign of things to come. If it was an anomaly, I think 25 or 30 is fair, but if it was a breakout season, which I think it was, then he is going to produce at this output or better for at least 4 more seasons barring injury. On this season's output he is worth close to a top 10 pick.
I'd find a middle ground and say he is worth between 15 and 20. Or 21 and an upgraded second rounder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back