Past #24: Levi Greenwood - officially traded to Collingwood FC for pick 25 (2014) - retires rd16 2021 due to concussion symptoms - go well Pig

Remove this Banner Ad

Because Collingwood are better at what they do than us. Actually most clubs bar Richmond and Adelaide trade better than us.

(Yes I know you beg to differ Kimbo!)
Not especially. I think we could have done better AND I think the outrage is over the top. Meh.

who-me.jpg

I reckon it's in the ball park, but yeah, hoped we'd have got Pick 21 or higher. Main thing working against us was his uncontracted status, but then again, if it wasn't for that, this wouldn't have happened.

Was Pick 21 for Christensen unders too?

21 was unders for Christensen, Geelong said as much but didn't hold out any hope of getting anything better and obviously didn't want him at the club given at how quickly they jumped on 21.

I don't know if you are the only one, but to me it depends if you think that this season was an anomaly or if it was a breakout season and a sign of things to come. If it was an anomaly, I think 25 or 30 is fair, but if it was a breakout season, which I think it was, then he is going to produce at this output or better for at least 4 more seasons barring injury. On this season's output he is worth close to a top 10 pick.
I'd find a middle ground and say he is worth between 15 and 20. Or 21 and an upgraded second rounder.

I think he simply produced what he is capable of.. and if I were him I would leave as well. If I was offered the same elsewhere id take it lilttle on If I was offered more and for longer = long gawn. Scott anc his match committee caused this. MAKE NO MISTAKE.

now, north should simply demand OVERS, it doesnt come off then hegoes to the draft for nothing. Send a **** you attitude to both the rest of the league and also our list. It doesnt hurt so much this year as bc of our free sgent inclusions, contract to McMahon spits srecsf a premium, so much so that nahas is yet to be re contracted. Set a standard.

The idiots down the highway have criminally let Christensen go for pick 21 and overvalued a second rounder.

We should at least attempt to upgrade #36 to #30.

We don't know for sure what we are getting, we just have these rumours, our club hasn't really said s**t.

I think he simply produced what he is capable of.. and if I were him I would leave as well. If I was offered the same elsewhere id take it lilttle on If I was offered more and for longer = long gawn. Scott anc his match committee caused this. MAKE NO MISTAKE.

now, north should simply demand OVERS, it doesnt come off then hegoes to the draft for nothing. Send a f°cku attitude to both the rest of the league and also our list. It doesnt hurt so much this year as bc of our free sgent inclusions, contract to McMahon spits srecsf a premium, so much so that nahas is yet to be re contracted. Set a standard.

IELTS :stern look

(Log in to remove this ad.)

now, north should simply demand OVERS, it doesnt come off then hegoes to the draft for nothing. Send a **** you attitude to both the rest of the league and also our list. It doesnt hurt so much this year as bc of our free sgent inclusions, contract to McMahon spits srecsf a premium, so much so that nahas is yet to be re contracted. Set a standard.
OK so what is he worth?

The idiots down the highway have criminally let Christensen go for pick 21 and overvalued a second rounder.

We should at least attempt to upgrade #36 to #30.
I wouldn't say idiots, he reneged on an agreement to sign his contract, then walked out and nominated 1 club. We were backed into a corner, the only reason we got something at all was that BL weren't first in the PSD queue so couldn't refuse to trade to get him in the PSD as St.K, W.B or Melbourne would have jumped at him first. 21 isn't that bad all things considered.

The problem we have is that I'm sure we'd love to offer 21 for Greenwood but the only way that could happen is if the Beams trade falls through. Which would leave us stranded in the Clark/Lumumba/Varcoe 3 way trade as it hinges on Collingwood clearing cap space (Beams).

Would love to give you 21 for Greenwood personally, we need a inside clearance midfielder now that Bundy has buggered off.

how many clubs would have left him uncontracted all year though? Doesn't matter what collingwood are paying him we didn't value his true worth.
Quoted for truth.

Cut it any way you want, the club dropped the ball here.

And for all those saying this was for money, if it was all about money he would be at the bulldogs.

Plenty of clubs have players uncontracted at seasons end.

But the major problem for clubs is players now have all the power. You sign a player for a nice long deal that suits them....fine. If they start performing above that other clubs come in and offer more or you increase the deal.

We're seeing this with contracted players such as Tom Boyd, Beams, Griffen ect want out for whatever reason (can easily be more pay) and simply asked to be traded to nominated club. Sure the club with the contract could hold them to it, but they have a disgruntled player who can easily (even likely) play poorly until uncontracted dropping their value even more. Most clubs will move them on.

On the flip side the a player gets big fat and long contract, doesnt perform or kick on, the club is stuck paying that amount. No other club will come along and agree to take on that contract. Basti, Adams, Levi have all underperformed with contract security in the past.

If you didnt get full value the contract before its understandable you offer shorter term deals that are more performance based. Any way contract or no contract all it takes is the player to ask to be traded to the highest bidder and they'll be moved on in most cases. If you automatically pay every player the highest market rate they can get on long term deals you can forget about winning flags.

Plenty of clubs have players uncontracted at seasons end.

But the major problem for clubs is players now have all the power. You sign a player for a nice long deal that suits them....fine. If they start performing above that other clubs come in and offer more or you increase the deal.

We're seeing this with contracted players such as Tom Boyd, Beams, Griffen ect want out for whatever reason (can easily be more pay) and simply asked to be traded to nominated club. Sure the club with the contract could hold them to it, but they have a disgruntled player who can easily (even likely) play poorly until uncontracted dropping their value even more. Most clubs will move them on.

On the flip side the a player gets big fat and long contract, doesnt perform or kick on, the club is stuck paying that amount. No other club will come along and agree to take on that contract. Basti, Adams, Levi have all underperformed with contract security in the past.

If you didnt get full value the contract before its understandable you offer shorter term deals that are more performance based. Any way contract or no contract all it takes is the player to ask to be traded to the highest bidder and they'll be moved on in most cases. If you automatically pay every player the highest market rate they can get on long term deals you can forget about winning flags.

quoted for being 100% right. This is becoming the landscape of AFL football regarding player contracts.

I'm really hoping we move Levi on now, didn't do anything of value for a long time, one good year and expects the world.... we looked after him, time for him to look after us otherwise see ya later....

Thanks for the service Levi, best of luck at Collingwood

From HS

PLAYER PERCENTAGE CHAMPION DATA RANKING

Travis Varcoe minus 4.6 per cent (below expected accuracy) Below average

Jack Crisp minus 7.3 per cent (below expected accuracy) Poor

Levi Greenwood minus 8.6 per cent (below expected accuracy) Poor

*Source Champion Data

Was tweeted that Cooney was about +5 this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back