Past #25: Robbie Tarrant - traded to RFC for CCJ&picks - 2yr deal at RFC - 174 NM games/44 NM goals - retires 13/7/23 effective immediately

Remove this Banner Ad

He is clearly a happy chappy at the moment. I would guess his manager is after a contract while things are rosy (good form, good health) so a whisper has come out to speed that process along. No doubt the same with Jake Carlisle.

Taz and Carlisle.

SxprH.gif

If he gets offered big money we should gladly take the compo. The guy was close to retiring not that long ago. Chances are he'll break down again.

If he gets offered big money we should gladly take the compo. The guy was close to retiring not that long ago. Chances are he'll break down again.
Knowing the AFL, they would give us something like a 3rd round Rookie pick as compensation.

Taz won't get anywhere.

He knows we stuck by him when could have easily been cut loose, so he will want to repay that I have little doubt.

Pay the man.... And do it now!
Anyone who thinks that he doesn't deserve close to 400k per year is kidding themselves!!! Behind Goldy, Hansen and Spitta he is absolutely I our group of most important players. We just don't have anyone else on our list that is big enough, strong enough, fast enough, good enough to fill the void he would leave.
Yeah he has had an injuries.... But he is fit now, and his body hasnt taken the beating that it would of otherwise.
4 years at 390k would be a great deal for all involved!

I'd like to play rest of year before committing to a deal like that.

If he is still our number 1 F'back at season end then yes he deserves (another) pay day.

But I think we can risk any chance of being poached before then knowing his injuries, and his character, and its very unlikely to burn us. There is no hurry.

He is a must keep right now. We have finally found what we have been looking for....... a key back to combat monsters like Hawkins, Tippett, Cloke among others! 3 years at 330-350k seems reasonable.

I am not worried about Tarrant, he has been looked after while he has been in rehab most of his career, my gut feel is some older players will pull the plug at the end of the season and we will still have plenty of cash to offer him a decent salary.

Anyone who thinks that he doesn't deserve close to 400k per year is kidding themselves!!! Behind Goldy, Hansen and Spitta he is absolutely I our group of most important players. We just don't have anyone else on our list that is big enough, strong enough, fast enough, good enough to fill the void he would leave.
Yeah he has had an injuries.... But he is fit now, and his body hasnt taken the beating that it would of otherwise.
Signing Robbie for four years would be insanely bad management...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i'd be filthy if the club don't give him enough coin like Greenwood last year…

We have too many average players on good coin i.e Bastinac...
Swallow is our highest paid player and rumoured to only be on 650k. Guys like Bastinac are a lot further down the coin scale when you have guys like Harvey, Wells, Petrie, Goldstein, Thompson, Dal Santo, Higgins, Ziebell and Cunnington on the higher end of the coin scale.

I am not worried about Tarrant, he has been looked after while he has been in rehab most of his career, my gut feel is some older players will pull the plug at the end of the season and we will still have plenty of cash to offer him a decent salary.

Me neither. The money is there.

Not if he plays another 20 games in that 4 years. The club has to be smart here. I rate Tarrant, think he is doing very well - better than expected as essentially a new defender - but if we couldn't justify 400k for a durable midfielder that almost took out our BnF then we sure as shit need some serious clauses for a guy that has missed more games than I've seen live in the time he's been at the club. A player without his history with a proven record in the position is definitely worth that. Has to be shy on the money side or linked to games to be fair to us and him though.

So 7 years at $900k then, just to play it safe.

Maybe we could pay someone to fluff him before each game as well...?

I have zero confidence in getting things done nowadays. I just hope years of playing favourites doesnt **** us over so as to when an untried player comes in and shows something, rival clubs get in their ear and bang theyre gone.

So much this. Last year we were way down the list in terms of number of players to play at least one senior game.

Swallow is our highest paid player and rumoured to only be on 650k. Guys like Bastinac are a lot further down the coin scale when you have guys like Harvey, Wells, Petrie, Goldstein, Thompson, Dal Santo, Higgins, Ziebell and Cunnington on the higher end of the coin scale.

then why the hell didn't we give greenwood 3 years @400k last year then?

then why the hell didn't we give greenwood 3 years @400k last year then?
That's the $64,000 question. Didn't Levi want 4 years? If you want to believe Liam Pickering, we offered an acceptable and satisfactory deal, it was just extremely bad timing on the clubs part. What's done is done, we move on and look forward to seeing a kid like Dumont take step after step forward :)

If a club offers him 500k per season then can't see him staying. I reckon the club will offer 380-400k over 3 years only and rightly so.

Edit: I reckon Robbie would stay if North offered that btw.

Raises an interesting question. Should free agency be related also to games played (at least in so far as limited FA). There would hopefully be a way there to reward clubs for loyalty (a la Taz) or still allow a payback on "development" players. The whole big men take time thing gets a bit rough if you cultivate a ruckman for 5 years, get him up to speed for 2-3 and then he can leave as a free agent.

Should be offered 2 years with an option to extend it to a third if he meets a games played clause and a performance clause. I don't know how much the other players on the list get paid so it's hard to judge what he deserves relative to them. I would guess that he should be paid around the AFL, or list average wage. Under no circumstances should we be matching any offer of around 450-500k from other clubs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back