Past #26: Ben McKinley - acquired for pick 86 in trade with WC - delisted at end of 2012 season

Remove this Banner Ad

From what I've seen of him he applies absolutely no defensive pressure whatsoever.

Even in the VFL.

If he's contracted for next year, he should be made to play in deep defence for the entire pre-season.

I'm certainly no pom-pom twirling leader of the Ben McKinley Fan Club but, sheesh, there's some pretty harsh calls going on in this thread.

Any word on whether he fits the "good bloke" or "barracked for North as a kid" criteria ? If so, you people should be deeply, deeply ashamed.

I'm certainly no pom-pom twirling leader of the Ben McKinley Fan Club but, sheesh, there's some pretty harsh calls going on in this thread.

Any word on whether he fits the "good bloke" or "barracked for North as a kid" criteria ? If so, you people should be deeply, deeply ashamed.

Agree, and I personally blame the moronic dream team phenomenom for this growing trend..

Players are being reduced to cattle with a 2 month career window, based upon DT points.

gee u people are harsh, get off the blokes back he has been performing consistantly at werribee working well into there foward line, what must be remembered is he has come from a completley different game plan at westcoast to learning ours im glad he has a 2 year contract as i believe we will see the best of him next year at afl level another preseason in him and the guy will blitz the person i would be more worried about there efforts and consistancy this year is lindsay thomas now he is one bloke who i wouldnt care if he gets dropped for the rest of the season

Personally I think he needs another string to his bow.

Very effective goalscorer at state level, but also one dimensional and doesn't appear to have a great defensive side.

I would like to see him round out his game at bit more by playing further up the ground and maybe across h/b in the VFL. The problem is, I guess, that given he is such a dependable goalkicker Werribee would be reluctant to move him around. Fair enough as Satterly's main job is to win games.

Five thumbs from me too! Disgraceful. He's a perfect backup for Azza, above VFL level, and he's ours. Easy to take pot shots from the cheap seats.

Five thumbs from me too! Disgraceful. He's a perfect backup for Azza, above VFL level, and he's ours. Easy to take pot shots from the cheap seats.
Well we can't all afford to sit on level 2 Mr. Highfalutintoes.

Even if he doesn't make it, he was a good get with pick 86, given that we had no idea which way Azza (who we all agree has stepped up in a big way), or Wazza was going to go (as it turned out he's plateued a bit). There was also some doubt about Petrie coming back from multiple injuries (including by me, posted earlier in the year: embarrassed thingy).

I don't have much of a preference about whether we keep McKinley or not, but from memory he got two years, so we may as well keep him I guess. Well, what do you know? I do have a preference after all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally I think he needs another string to his bow.

Very effective goalscorer at state level, but also one dimensional and doesn't appear to have a great defensive side.

I would like to see him round out his game at bit more by playing further up the ground and maybe across h/b in the VFL. The problem is, I guess, that given he is such a dependable goalkicker Werribee would be reluctant to move him around. Fair enough as Satterly's main job is to win games.

This. He will pick up 4-5 goals at VFL level on a consistent basis for his 8 possies but he doesn't seem to have another side to his game. He is very much a receiver.
Does deserve another go though, he has played two games and to judge him on that.. it's being pretty harsh.

Was pretty lucky to have got his 2 games. Wont make it in the long term (that is what were about arn't we?) but will provide good mature backup over this and the next season. Won't be on the list after that.

Geez you people are harsh. He's a class above state level and judging him on 2 games at our club is ridiculous.

HE played 46 or so at the weagles too and sucked, couldn't break into the team in their spoon year either. Hes not gonna do much better here

Hear Hear, Toes.

Actually, is that a pot shot at someone in this thread, who was open about the fact he was taking snide pot shots at Ben 'from the cheap seats' against the Saints?

Actually, is that a pot shot at someone in this thread, who was open about the fact he was taking snide pot shots at Ben 'from the cheap seats' against the Saints?

Not intentionally HH but it does fit the bill.

Originally Posted by Quivorir
My seats hardly cheap.

Ah, so you're at least admitting you're taking pot shots. It's a manner of speaking. "Cheap seats", as in from the comfort of the sidelines.

I've never understood how or why people make such harsh judgements of blokes who are busting their nuts out there in the hope of gaining respect, a career and some dosh to support themselves and their families. Even moreso when the individual copping the heat is one who's an easy target who KNOWS he's under the pump already.

He earnt the nickname Hero and, for an 86th pick in the draft who's only 24 in this current era of compromised drafts, we're very fortunate to have him waiting in the wings. Not complaining, but biding his time and doing very well for Werribee, ready for any opportunities which come his way.

Yep. Get rid of. There must be some 14yr old future HOF'er we can draft in his place!

gee u people are harsh, get off the blokes back he has been performing consistantly at werribee working well into there foward line, what must be remembered is he has come from a completley different game plan at westcoast to learning ours im glad he has a 2 year contract as i believe we will see the best of him next year at afl level another preseason in him and the guy will blitz the person i would be more worried about there efforts and consistancy this year is lindsay thomas now he is one bloke who i wouldnt care if he gets dropped for the rest of the season

I would hate to be one of those people who are too harsh on a player and jump on a blokes back.:rolleyes:

Someone has to tell the club there's a reason why these players get discarded. I know we got him for free but I would have preffered a 17/18 year old with the chance to have a much bigger upside.

He's behind Edwards and Milky to me so I cant see him get a game unless both of those 2 go down with injury.

I think B Mac has been very harshly dealt with. He's the sort of guy who needs continuity & a good run with injury. Once he's up & going he can be very handy & as a lot of guys said when we recruited him "He could be anything" & I still stand by that.
With him and Edwards leading a 2-pronged attack, it would be very hard to stop us especially as both are dead-eye dicks near goal. And there's no reason why B Mac couldn't kick 20 goals by seasons end & salvage his career. No reason whatsoever.

Personally I'd like to see B Mac be given a quarter-back type role across half-back. That's where he played a lot of his junior football for Strut until he became a man in a mans body.

There are three things that I think will combine to see Ben delisted at the end of the year:

- Dish has recovered from his injuries and is in career best form.
- At age 27 Aaron Edwards is having a career best year.
- McKinley was disappointing in his limited AFL opportunities.

I think it was a sensible recruitment by the club. At the time, Dish's career was in doubt and Edwards was no world beater. A year later and Aaron Black is injury free as well so I reckon it's time to move McKinley on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back