Delisted #28: Elliott Kavanagh - Gone to play SANFL

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he has a legitimate case to be wanting more senior opportunities.. after watching Melksham be given 100 of them for nothing..

But he needs to improve before that will occur. I think it is a great sign for the depth of our list that EKav isn't even really in the mix for a spot right now.

I think he has a legitimate case to be wanting more senior opportunities.. after watching Melksham be given 100 of them for nothing..

But he needs to improve before that will occur. I think it is a great sign for the depth of our list that EKav isn't even really in the mix for a spot right now.

See, just one extreme to another.

He does it in fits and starts but just can't seem to get continuity.

For example in the dreamtime curtain-raiser this year at punt road he was absolutely incredible in the fist quarter, reckon he had it 15 times, 5-6 clearances, a couple of bone crunching tackles and set up 3-4 goals (and may have kicked one himself).

He was sharking packs at genuine pace, running 20 metres and kicking long inside 50 on multiple occasions, and myself and Yoda_ were full of praise.

Then at quarter time he went off and wasn't seen from again because he was being held over for the seniors, and of course he didn't end up playing that evening at all. So frustrating
That's frustrating to hear. So hypothetically if he had an uninterrupted pre-season he could be best 22 next year?

Kavanagh is reasonably fit though BrunoV, not sure where these (lack of) fitness concerns came from. He plays the majority of the game on the ball/wings at VFL level.

As I've mentioned before, it is his defensive deficiencies that are costing him games. He was afforded a whole year at VFL level (in 2012) dedicated to defining these. Is still far to much of a ball watcher/hunter and needs to tighten up on those short comings before a legitimate case for him to be "gifted" senior games can apply.

Look at Polec. Three years at the Lions, injured consistently, only a dozen or so games, didn't try too hard either according to some. Then gets to Port, has an injury free pre-season (I'm pretty sure his first, but can't say for certain) and looks a lot more impressive. There's other factors (I.e. better team, better injury management, happier in home state) but this is what I want from Kav. Make it happen.

Kavanagh is reasonably fit though BrunoV, not sure where these (lack of) fitness concerns came from. He plays the majority of the game on the ball/wings at VFL level.

As I've mentioned before, it is his defensive deficiencies that are costing him games. He was afforded a whole year at VFL level (in 2012) dedicated to defining these. Is still far to much of a ball watcher/hunter and needs to tighten up on those short comings before a legitimate case for him to be "gifted" senior games can apply.

Well if this is him in ball hunting mode we might as well end it now.

We have one to many on our list ATM, he may get delisted by the end of next week.

Best thing that Essendon can do for this kid & Essendon football club is to delist him,He really hasnt done alot even at VFL level, I have watched 3 games he played in and hasnt really shown alot but im sure the talent is there but a little too up himself it appears

Delist the kid and Rookie list him to show him that its his last chance and no other club will even look at him - End of AFL dream if he doesnt pull his digit out.

Really find it difficult to see how he gets games next year. With the addition of Cooney, Howlett staying, Melksham rebirth, Gleeson's form, Fantasia coming through. Merrett bro's, Colyer. The you have guys like Hams, Dalgleish, Browne.

Will be a massive turnaround if he does.

Really find it difficult to see how he gets games next year. With the addition of Cooney, Howlett staying, Melksham rebirth, Gleeson's form, Fantasia coming through. Merrett bro's, Colyer. The you have guys like Hams, Dalgleish, Browne.

Will be a massive turnaround if he does.
I reckon he'd be ahead of those two. Dalgleish I think differently because he's one of the fastest players in the AFL, let alone on our list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Delist Kavanagh.. Boy oh boy some of you should not be anywhere near list management. There would be near a dozen ahead of him on the chopping block.
If you delist him and try to put him on the rookie list he will walk to another club lol.

I have liked the little moments I have seen from Kav (VFL and AFL). Hope the thought of no club wanting him and his last contracted year spurs him on and he puts his head down for the next 6 months and trains as hard as he can. Needs to watch Watson, Heppell and Goddard prepare themselves for AFL. If he wants to play solid midfield minutes, he needs to put on another 2-3 kgs. His vision in congestion is very good but needs more strings to his bow.

Still think he will make it.

He was picked for the Freo game early this year but pulled his hammy training that week. He probably felt pissed off that if he was considered next cab off the rank then but couldn't get a game later in the season after he came back.

I also think that he's no chance of pushing Watson, Heppell, Goddard, Stanton, Zaka, Hocking and also Howlett out of the side. So if Gleeson, Orazio, Colyer and Ashby are getting games ahead of him then he's really pushing s**t up hill to get a game.

It probably was the best move for everyone if Kav had have been trading, but cleary no one came knocking. Now we have to push someone else off the list to have the second live draft pick.

I thought he showed a bit in his last game, at least with the ball. high picks like him deserve a bit more of a chance than Hams and Dalgleish. Hopefully Kav, Ashby and Browne step up next year.
No, you earn games on merit, and what you can bring to the side.

Watson still runs about with some serious defensive issues. Could be a case as long as Watson is still getting a game, they cant afford Kavanagh to be playing at the same time too?

He was picked for the Freo game early this year but pulled his hammy training that week. He probably felt pissed off that if he was considered next cab off the rank then but couldn't get a game later in the season after he came back.

I also think that he's no chance of pushing Watson, Heppell, Goddard, Stanton, Zaka, Hocking and also Howlett out of the side. So if Gleeson, Orazio, Colyer and Ashby are getting games ahead of him then he's really pushing s**t up hill to get a game.

It probably was the best move for everyone if Kav had have been trading, but cleary no one came knocking. Now we have to push someone else off the list to have the second live draft pick.

For us to even get close to push into the top 4, either Howlett needs to get more of the ball and hit the score board more, or someone like a Kavanagh miraculously comes good.
I recall alot of us were itching for Myers to just get a solid run at it, and I kind of feel the same for Elliot. Maybe Hird can bring the best out of him. 2015 will tell and I hope he does come good. Possibly another Josh Francou type or are those comparisons gone now?
Question: Does Goddard have much direct influence with Kavanagh or more kinda generic leadership relation?

Watson still runs about with some serious defensive issues. Could be a case as long as Watson is still getting a game, they cant afford Kavanagh to be playing at the same time too?

Which is exactly why I have been suggesting that Kavanagh isn't being gifted games ala Melksham in circa 2012.

We couldn't afford to carry 3 defenceless midfielders in the one side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back